Would you buy a Tele if it only came with one fret size (a size you don't like) and adapt to it?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Digiplay, Sep 12, 2020.

1. bblumentritt

bblumentritt Tele-Afflicted Platinum Supporter

Digiplay and El Tele Lobo like this.
  2. Fender-guy

Fender-guy Tele-Meister

A lot of this comes down experience and technique. You can tune up any old guitar and play it. Guys like smell frets, big frets, flat radius, round radius.

If you like to push real hard when fretting then obviously tall frets won’t work, that’s the speed bump feel. The whole point to tall frets is the not have to push hard.

I can grab any of my guitars from my vintage spec jag to my R8 les Paul, they feel way different but I don’t have any issues playing either one.

It’s all experience and technique to me no matter what guitars fret size.

Digiplay likes this.
  3. lidesnowi

lidesnowi TDPRI Member

I only enjoy playing guitars with fat wide necks with SS 6100 frets.
    I wish someone would make .090″ wide and .080" high SS fretwire!

4. GearGeek01

GearGeek01 Tele-Meister

Before I buy a guitar I sit down with it in a store and test drive it. If it doesn't feel right or doesn't have a "soul" I don't bring it home.

I don't worry about the minutia of "oh my god, its got these or those frets" -- If it doesn't play right at the store I don't bring it home. And, I generally don't buy guitars off the Internet which to me is like playing Russian Roulette with guitar buying.

And... if I could choose any bass to buy right now to add to the "too many guitar" quiver, it would be a FRETLESS bass...

Digiplay likes this.
  5. Sax-son

Sax-son Tele-Holic

I have Teles in all fret sizes. Only takes a little while to get use to any of them.

Digiplay likes this.
  6. Andy ZZ

Andy ZZ TDPRI Member

6100's all the way. Stainless Steel if possible.

7. davedederer

davedederer TDPRI Member

Depends. Can and have played anything.

Lately I am using .008s on Fender-scale guitars and I am preferring lower/vintage frets, as it makes it less likely I'll bend a string sharp when I grab a fistful of chord.

For sure vintage/lower frets are tough if you want to use thicker strings and still bend the heck out of them.

On the other hand, I have no idea how someone like Yngwie or Blackmore plays a scalloped neck guitar with relatively light strings and plays in tune...I guess I'm just too ham-handed.

A refret is not that expensive so...it's not like you're locked in.

8. etype

etype Tele-Afflicted

I could adapt to the width, but maybe not the height. Anything over 0.048" and I can pull notes sharp. Anything under 0.040" and I have more trouble with bends (especially double-stops). The nice thing, to answer your question, is that too tall frets can be brought down for like $100. So if I loved a guitar, I'd do that.

I think that jumbo measurement is 0.036" is a typo. I have a Fender with medium jumbo frets and they are more like 0.046" (by my calipers).

9. rockinstephen

rockinstephen Tele-Meister

Not me! I wouldn't spend good money on a guitar that didn't feel right or which I had to adapt. I guess that's why necks come in so many varieties...

10. Fender-guy

Fender-guy Tele-Meister

They can play like that because of technique, light strings, small frets, scalloped whatever.

Squeezing so hard to make a note or like a lot guys are saying they have man hands or ham fisting is all do to skill level.

I have a buddy that can’t play any of my guitars without fretting out or sounding out of thing. He’s pressing and banging so hard to do simple bends and chords. He’s got a lot to learn but knows everything, I just let him do his thing and turn his amp down.

11. SonicBlueByYou

SonicBlueByYou TDPRI Member

An elderly friend offered to give me His 1953 Esquire, but I told him the radius and frets on it were just stupid and I would never use it. Suggested he give it to someone else…

12. turfdoc

turfdoc TDPRI Member

Same here.

13. oregomike

oregomike TDPRI Member

If I liked a guitar enough to buy it frets I don't like (usually tall frets), I'd just refret it.

Mike

14. mandolingrass

mandolingrass NEW MEMBER!

I get used to whatever comes on the guitar, I've never had a preference, I adapt and overcome!

Digiplay likes this.
  15. frosty413

frosty413 TDPRI Member

I adapt to fret size. It is the entire instrument I adore.

Currently esquire 85
    Limited 54 reissue mij
    WOW!

Digiplay and Fender-guy like this.
  16. Arfage

Arfage TDPRI Member

Well you just listed almost all fret that come on any guitar, but that's a good thing. I enjoy a variety of fret size and fingerboard radii. Probably the only fret I won't go with are genuine 50's - '81 Fender. Also a 7 1/4" radius will put me off from a guitar. My smallest frets are my 2012 SG Standard and that feels great (only thing on the guitar that didn't need replacing) My favorite guitars are a 72 Les Paul redone with 6100 and a Strat with a Musikraft neck that is a 12" radius and 6100 frets. I just built a Tele with a 14" radius and 6000 frets that admittedly feels odd. Like a Jackson maybe(?). I sold a nice American Special Tele because it had a tough playing feel. Cant say exactly why, I've enjoyed the 9.5" radius and 6130 frets on many other guitars.

17. Marblatx

Marblatx TDPRI Member

I'm not good enough to be a snob.

Digiplay likes this.
  18. Terrytown

Terrytown TDPRI Member

Just play guys! Keep the great sounds coming.

Big hands, small hands, strong fingers, weak fingers it's all personal with fret preference or neck size. The end result that pleases you and having fun is all that matters.
    Has anyone seen the YouTube Video of 3 strings and a shovel?

TF

Digiplay and El Tele Lobo like this.
  19. FortyEight

FortyEight Tele-Meister

Sometimes a guitar will bend more than I like when playing chords or just playing in general. I'm not sure if it's cuz the frets are taller than other guitars, or the strings are smaller or what. String size does matter in this regard and I play 11's on everything. I think I have a tenancy to press hard. I learned on an old martin that was in need of a set up but I learned how to press hard. LOL.

I think the medium jumbos are the ones that I've had on most of my guitars that seemed to work well with me.

20. Bean1871

Bean1871 TDPRI Member

If I only played one electric, yes, I would buy it and adapt.

Wait...I only play one electric.

Digiplay likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.