1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Would you buy a Tele if it only came with one fret size (a size you don't like) and adapt to it?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Digiplay, Sep 12, 2020.

1. Sparky2

Sparky2 Friend of Leo's

I can play and enjoy any guitar as long as it sings to me and stays in tune.

I literally don't care what kind of frets are in it, what size they are, what shape the neck is, or any of that.

Hand it to me in between songs, tuned up, and I'll keep rocking the set list.

:)

Nick Fanis and Digiplay like this.
  2. viking

viking Friend of Leo's

I can get used to most things , so why not ?

Digiplay likes this.
  3. El Marin

El Marin Tele-Afflicted

I use 13's in my acoustics

4. LOSTVENTURE

LOSTVENTURE Tele-Afflicted

Over the last 60+ years of dealing with Teles, I've often found myself in the OP's position. But nothing has ever stopped me from enjoying the instrument. Sometimes more options really leaves less preferrable options.

Digiplay likes this.
  5. Digiplay

Digiplay Tele-Afflicted

I'm just like you LOSTVENTURE in that too many options can cloud the issue of why I wanted to play guitar in the first place, and that was because I simply enjoyed playing it :)

JL_LI likes this.
  6. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

Ordering a new guitar, I’d order 6105 or something similar. Tall frets can be leveled and crowned one more time than short flat frets. I’ve never checked on what frets are used on any of my guitars. I could check the build sheet for what’s on my FCS Strat but whatever they are they play just fine. My other guitars play fine too. In fact the only spec I care about is divot free. I put enough of them in on my own.

Digiplay likes this.
  7. donrichfan

donrichfan Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

Heck yeah I would.

Digiplay likes this.
  8. lammie200

lammie200 Friend of Leo's

The size doesn't matter to me. The height does. 0.055" is too high. 0.040"s are better for me.

9. Controller

Controller Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I would switch to accordion and avoid frets entirely.

Fretting out, JL_LI and Digiplay like this.
  10. EsquireBoy

EsquireBoy Tele-Afflicted

I have no problem adapting. In fact, I could hardly say if there is a fret wire I prefer. I find jumbo frets and vintage small frets to be equally nice, but the problem is they both have their strong and weak points:
    - jumbos are easier when bending and for bar chords or extended chords because you don’t have to press as hard. But to me they feel like rail tracks and tend to make my slides a bit sloppy at times.
    - vintage small are smoother, and with the flatwounds I use it’s so nice under the fingers (that’s the « fretless wonder » I suppose). But obviously it’s harder to get a good grip on the strings.

And I agree with other comments: you can’t really focus on the fret wire only, because the neck is really a whole: depending on the radius and the neck profile, the same frets can end up feeling very different to you.

Digiplay and JL_LI like this.
  11. TwangBrain

TwangBrain Tele-Meister

I'll play any good guitar regardless of the fret size. But medium jumbo is as small as I prefer, and decidedly refretted my byrdland with them (because of the short/tight scale). I have developed my technique around playing with a light touch, and I truly prefer 6100 and even 6000 (super jumbo) fret, as they give the strings a bouncy feel...the other benefit i came to realize on one of my preferred players was that I get a lot more life out of the frets when it comes time for leveling and dressing (crowning)...I have a Musikraft neck from a recent assembly that I'm REALLY loving that I ordered 6000 frets on. They are killer, like playing a scalloped neck.

12. davidge1

davidge1 Friend of Leo's

As far as I'm concerned, guitars SHOULD only come with one fret size. A guitar, like anything else, should have integrity in its design. Every detail should be thought out and planned to work with every other detail, as used to be the case. If you're the guitar designer, don't you have an opinion? Of course you do. It's only the corporate bean counters that want to be everything to everyone. It kills the uniqueness and sense of vision in a consumer product. That's why most automobiles (and products in general) today are generic and boring, compared to years ago when you had designs that showed a real sense of creative vision.

How many different versions of Colgate toothpaste does the world need? I think one would suffice – but the more they come out with, the more shelf space they get. Similar thing with guitars.

Digiplay likes this.
  13. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

I could, but only because I can't tell one fret size from another, all I know is that all my guitars play differently and I adapt to them.

Digiplay likes this.
  14. Digiplay

Digiplay Tele-Afflicted

Are you old enough to remember when the different make auto's looked different (they were truly works of art!), and one would NEVER confuse a Ford with a Chevrolet? :)

El Tele Lobo and Sparky2 like this.
  15. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

I'm very fret dependent and can't stand small or medium height frets.
    Which sucks because so few vintage style Fenders have actual jumbo frets.
    Over the years it seems Fender has sourced a range of frets that are not all on the above list they are supposed to be using.

If a fingerboard is especially slippery I can us a lower fret, but I phrase in the bends a lot and if one guitar has my fingertips gliding on air while another has then dragging on wood, the function is too different to bother with guitars fitted with automatic braking on the bends.

When all my guitars had that drag I was used to it.
    Can't keep me down on the farm now that I've seen Par-eee.

16. Digiplay

Digiplay Tele-Afflicted

Hi t, how ya' been man?

But the main question is that even though you've now seen Par-eee, could you adapt to a Tele if (as in my random example of 6230's) that's all it came with, or would you not buy a Tele because you couldn't play any guitar with 6230's?

I hope it's obvious to all that this Thread is not about fret size preference, but about how well a guitar player can adapt to whatever guitar they have to play :)

Thanks,
    Jerry

17. Cali Dude

Cali Dude Tele-Holic

I don't much like vintage frets. But, I did buy a Strat that had vintage frets 25 years ago. When it came time to refret that guitar, I did go with taller vintage frets. It is much easier to bend and get good sustain now.

18. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Yeah nope!
    I have an '85 MIJ Fender Tele neck and an earlier Tokai Strat neck both sitting in a drawer because I can't adapt to those tiny frets.
    I've also ripped the same tiny frets off several necks and refretted them with jumbo because I can't adapt to those tiny frets.
    Sold a few old Fenders, cause you guessed it!

I'm pleased that Fender now makes the vintage looking not super thin roasted maple neck with actual jumbo frets and just bought one this week!
    Additionally, Fender now offers vintage style split shaft tuners with two pin mount, so you can put vintage style tuners on a modern Fender neck without a dozen extra holes and adapter bushings.
    Still no truly fat vintage style Fender neck with jumbo frets.

Guess I'ma freak wanting old timey guitars with new fangled yooge frets...

Digiplay likes this.
  19. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

If I didn't like it, regardless of the reason, I wouldn't buy it, so the question is pretty moot unless you're buying it off the internet (Man I am a broken record on this topic!).

All of the electrics that I own have either 6130 or 6150 or something similar, but I am always willing to play something and see if it floats my boat.

20. alnico357

alnico357 Tele-Afflicted

In my 50-plus years of playing guitar I have never considered fret size.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2020
    Digiplay likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.