Would you buy a current Gibson sight unseen today?

scelestus

Tele-Holic
I'm eyeing a current Gibson model that is out of stock at a lot of retailers. One place has a couple but they don't give individual weights or pictures. They do have a good return policy as far as I am aware.

I am not too picky about weight (light is better, moderate is ok, heavy is OK if everything else is good), but I am picky about how well the strings line up on the fretboard.

Has anyone ordered a Gibby lately in a situation like this? I think they're making better guitars than they have in quite a while but I certainly remember the days of getting your hands on it first.

beyer160

Friend of Leo's
As long as the store has a good return policy and it's a hard-to-find item, I'd chance it. I'm not terribly picky about minor cosmetic stuff or setup issues, though.

However, I wouldn't buy a Gibson or anything else at list price, but that's me. Used is the way to go. As always, "good, fast, cheap- pick any two".

scelestus

Tele-Holic
I'd call the shop and let them know you're interested. Ask them to check out the things you're worried about and and report back with photos. Most shops I've dealt with long distance are happy to do that stuff if it helps make a sale.

Good luck!

I did this but it's a big box place. The guy said "I'm not even in the same place as our four warehouses so they'll just be grabbing a box for you." Normally for the kind of money, I would want an in-hand description.

Also, Gibson seems to have them in stock. Has anyone here ordered directly from them?

Skyhook

Tele-Afflicted
Yep!
If the price was right. Some good deal or somesuch.
If I'm gonna pay full price I might as well go to a brick and mortar store and try it out.

arlum

Tele-Afflicted
Platinum Supporter
I would but, only from a trusted dealer I've worked with multiple times that provides many pictures of the exact instrument being offered. For me Wildwood is the best example. I've purchased four guitars from them over the years. One was a Gibson Les Paul Traditional with a deeply quilted top and the other was a Gibson Custom Shop CS-336 with a Washed Heritage Cherry top. Both were the exact ones I'd selected from Wildwoods offerings and both were set up to perfection. Both were purchased in the last 5 years. No matter the current reputation of this brand or that model, if you buy from a top quality online store you can get an instrument that should meet or exceed your expectations delivered to your door.

Telekarster

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
I wouldn't have a prob with it necessarily, especially if the price is right, but if you can I would post some pics out here so the experts can have a look-see to make reasonably sure it's not a fake. Lots of fakes out there these days so never hurts to be too careful ;) Even the best reputable dealers can get fooled sometimes. Good luck man!

scelestus

Tele-Holic
FWIW, it's list price on a less expensive model (not a Standard) at AMS/zZounds. Or directly from Gibson.

Sweetwater is backed up to mid-December at least, but some time next year is possible. CMS is May 2022.

I think Guitar Center has them too, but I don't know if they'll ship them in and let me inspect before ponying up the cash. Maybe I'll give them a call.

And right now, used is tough to find and sometimes as much as new.

John C

Friend of Leo's
As long as the dealer has a good return policy I would do it. The quality seems to be reasonably consistent among the ones I've tried out over the past 8-9 months, BUT I also find that with me and Gibsons the individual guitar will either grab me or leave me cold with very little in-between. So I would want to be able to return one that left me cold no questions asked with the dealer accepting the reason for the return of "hey I just don't like this one."

SixStringSlinger

Poster Extraordinaire
You're unlikely to find anything "wrong" with a guitar made these days that isn't down to either set-up or plain personal preference. In the rare event of an actual defect, most return policies/warrantees will cover you.

Research what's covered under warranty and find a dealer that will let you return it if you just don't dig it. All you have to lose is a little time.

Matthias

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
Yes, but the paint was a bit sloppy on the headstock masking last time I owned one, so if your tolerances are the same as their QA tolerances, you're probably fine. Otherwise, if you want something perfect (and I would at most of Gibson's prices) you might want to see it first. However, I hear of people who send back guitars all the time due to small defects or just not getting along with them, so ordering from one of the bigger stores is still an option.