Would you be ticked off by this?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Winterwind, Aug 18, 2019.

1. Winterwind

Winterwind TDPRI Member

Thank you. For those still struggling to comprehend it went like this:

In March 2019 I emailed the VP of marketing suggesting they do a special run of the G5220 in Broadway Jade, a very rare Gretsch finish, because it would no doubt sell well for them as it is rare and I know quite a few people besides me that would love something in that finish. And that's just people I know personally, that would love that colour but don't want to spend 5k trying to get their hands on one of the 75 LTD Penguins made or try to have a CME exclusive brought to Canada. The VP thought it was a great idea and passed it on to their buyer.

In April 2019 I followed up with the VP who forwarded to me an email from their buyer where the buyer thought Broadway Jade was a CME original colour and that they couldn't have it. So, doing what anyone with internet access could do, I linked him to the original Penguin in Broadway Jade (2016), the CME 5445 Electromatic version (2017) and explained the colour is Gretsch's, not CME's, blah blah blah. Again I was thanked for my suggestion and they'd let me know. Then they told me they pitched my suggestion to Gretsch.

Last week, now in August 2019, I saw them announce on their website an exclusive LTD G5230T in... yep, Broadway Jade, the colour the buyer thought was a CME original. So I emailed the VP asking what happened to my idea of the G5220 in that colour.

The response was... Oh, some retailer in the US used that colour so we're not allowed to have Broadway Jade. So I emailed back saying... Pardon me? You're not allowed to use the colour that you're getting a special run of next month but on a slightly different model than I suggested? Come again? What's that? The colour your buyer never even heard of until I told you about it?

Well, this morning they emailed back saying they're not allowed to have the 5220 body but can have a 5230... funny that... same body, just a stoptail vs a B50... but because I spend so much money in their stores and have been a loyal customer spending thousands a year there they're going to try getting a G5220 in that finish from a US retailer just for little ole me.

Would I gig a 5220 Electromatic? Probably not. Would I take one into the studio? Maybe. Would I ever own anything with a B50 licensed Bigsby? Nope. Just wanted something in Broadway Jade for the simple pleasure of it.

Again, very simple and easy to understand why I'd be ticked enough to spend my money elsewhere.

2. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Friend of Leo's

Dude, we understood the first time. You're acting like Veruca Salt.

mistermikev, Verne Bunsen and DougM like this.
  3. Paul45

Paul45 Tele-Meister

I wanted a Country Gent in Veruca Salt, but my local shop told me to go away and stop bothering them.

jayyj likes this.
  4. Buckocaster51

Buckocaster51 Super Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    Some of us forget this now and then

IMPORTANT:
    Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
    No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Zuzax likes this.
  5. chezdeluxe

chezdeluxe Poster Extraordinaire

Absolute nonsense.

hellopike likes this.
  6. jayyj

jayyj Tele-Afflicted

I'm a buyer for a guitar shop, so I quite often have conversations with guitar companies about potential ideas for models or spec changes I'd like to see. There's one brand in particular where the owner occasionally takes me out to lunch and we have fun doing a little brainstorming session, and sometimes a few months later I see one of those ideas on a guitar they've made on Instagram and think, hey, I thought of that one! But I'm just flattered to see someone thought the idea was worth running with. We've done the odd special run with them where we do pin down exclusivity for the shop, but for the most part I don't get anything out of it other than a glimmer of pride that an idea I had was worth trying out.

I'm struggling to see what the point of your approach was other than saying if you made this guitar I would buy it. If you suggested something that they did as a run and they went with it, then really the reward would have been being able to buy the guitar you wanted. Perhaps they might have offered you a deal on one, but I don't see any obligation they should have towards you. At the end of the day any work you put in was unsolicited, they only kept a part of the idea (if that at all) and even if they had used it in full, it's not like it's something you could demand any recourse from.

Put it this way, you're one up on me - I've been suggesting a bamboo yellow Electromatic to Gretsch for years and they haven't done it yet!

7. Winterwind

Winterwind TDPRI Member

I'm always amazed at how the simplest things continue to escape so many on forums and motives are assigned with no basis in fact.

One last time, for the record, this was always about this old fashioned thing called "courtesy". You know, manners, good service, repeat business.

Not once did I say I wanted a free guitar or discount, etc. Nope, never.

I suggested something because I know multiple people in Canada that like that finish and would buy it. They liked the idea, corresponded multiple times and ultimately they got a variant of my suggestion and then contradicted themselves about whether they'd even heard about that particular finish before or not, etc, etc.

And what work did I do? 30 seconds to copy-paste two links to show their buyer the colour and that it was Gretsch's not CME's as he apparently thought... yeah, I was sooooo put out by all that work.

Again, this was all about courtesy and not contradicting. I don't care what models they get in what colours and whether they get 1 or 1000. It's all about... what's that word... oh yeah, courtesy. That's always been how I decide where I spend my money.

All they ever needed to do was say what took a few emails back and forth to finally get out of them: "We weren't able to get a 5220 SR in Broadway Jade because a US retailer just got one. We've been given a 5230 instead. Interested?"

BOOM. Easy peasy and done.

They even emailed me last Friday telling me FMIC has given them permission to bring one in from the US just for me... Why? No clue. Nice of them? Sure.

I just have to laugh at some of you missing the simplest point and making it something it never was.

8. Verne Bunsen

Verne Bunsen Tele-Afflicted

I don’t think anyone is failing to grasp your point, but there seem to be those of us who disagree with the fundamental premise of your argument. Your point continues to be that they somehow owe you something. To quote from your previous post:

I would counter by saying that in fact they are not obligated to do even that. Had you placed an order for a guitar that they were not able to fill then yes, the obligation you describe would exist. But that is not the case. I will not argue that it would have been swell of them to give you a nod, but that is a far cry from an obligation. Again: not an intellectual failing on my part, just a fundamental disagreement on the nature obligation and entitlement.

Whatever happens, I do hope that you can reach some place that will allow you to move on.

hellopike likes this.
  9. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Similarly, I altered a brand new bike from a manufacturer we carried, into a type they didnt offer. Theirs was close but needed a few specific changes. I made "that" bike & sent pics to our rep. He asked me specifics, etc. Next years line came out... guess what? "My" bike was in production. I patted myself on the back & kept riding. Everyone that was in the loop knew where it came from.

10. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

You don't want to get Canadians angry.

[​IMG]

Deeve likes this.
  11. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

You have an outsiders viewpoint on this, they might have gotten 1000 emails about the configuration they actually ordered. Maybe they run surveys or do some other type of market research.

12. jayyj

jayyj Tele-Afflicted

Ah, so you started a thread because you're angry about the lack of (unspecified, incidentally, which is why people are asking whether you wanted more than flowers or a thank you note) recognition you got for your work, which you now tell us amounted to 30 seconds cutting and pasting links, and now you're angry at us for wondering what you were expecting? That's a whole lot of angry for something it never was.

To be honest, your ridiculously stroppy little essay in response to me taking ten minutes of my evening to answer the question kind of backs up my initial reaction that I was too polite to put in my previous post, which is that you're one of those random guys that sends emails to large companies explaining to them how successful they'd be if they'd only listen to you, and now you're outraged because someone did something that happened to have one of the components of something you suggested and you didn't get your moment of glory. That's not a good look, if I'm honest - chill out and be happy that maybe someone liked your idea.

Verne Bunsen and hellopike like this.
  13. VWAmTele

VWAmTele Friend of Leo's

14. scottser

scottser Tele-Afflicted

What's the number? I'll ring up and order a white falcon in Antigua..

Verne Bunsen likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.