Would you be ticked off by this?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Winterwind, Aug 18, 2019.

1. Zuzax

Zuzax Tele-Afflicted

So how much money did you lose on this deal?

2. Verne Bunsen

Verne Bunsen Tele-Afflicted

It wouldn’t even occur to me to get worked up about this. I don’t understand where the rub is.

Old duck and Chicago Matt like this.
  3. Winterwind

Winterwind TDPRI Member

It's pretty simple. Broadway Jade is a very rare Gretsch finish. Long and McQuade had, literally, never even heard of it until I suggested the do a special run on the G5220. In fact, their buyer thought the colour belonged to CME.

After several emails back and forth with the VP they're now doing a special run, of the colour they never heard of, Broadway Jade, on G5230T, a guitar I wouldn't even touch if it was given to me... B50 Bigsby... no thanks... and when I said hey, what happened to my suggestion, they feign total ignorance.

It's not hard to understand. They took my suggestion, stuck it on a different product and claim ignorance. And I didn't want a discount or free guitar, I simply wanted a G5220 in Broadway Jade.

4. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

Here that would be considered theft of Intellectual Property. Does Canada have laws for you to make a case?
    I love LPB on a Telecaster and that's like putting it on another brand or model of Fender.
    That's a Gretsch we're talking about, not an el cheapo brand.Just curious .

5. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Tele-Holic

I would only care if they took my idea & then refused to sell me one.

6. 985plowboy

985plowboy Friend of Leo's

Let it go.
    Solve world hunger or climate change or something.

Chicago Matt, brookdalebill and Blrfl like this.
  7. Verne Bunsen

Verne Bunsen Tele-Afflicted

The scenario is not difficult to understand, I just don’t follow where they would be obligated to you in any way. You told them of the existence of a Gretsch color and they bought some Gretsch guitars in that color. What is the part you created? You asked them to carry a certain guitar in a certain finish and they didn’t. Do you have a business relationship with them that obligates them to follow your purchasing directions? I’m not trying to be contrary, I really just don’t see any wrongdoing here. I’m a bit baffled by replies that they’ve stolen your intellectual property because, by my understanding, none of this is your creation. If I told my local guitar shop about my favorite Fender color and expressed I’d like it if they had Tele’s in that color, and if they told me thought it was a heinous color, and if I came back in and they had Strats in that color, my only reaction would be to say, “See, it’s pretty!” It would not occur to me that they owed me anything. Even if I sent an e-mail. Heck, if they did start stocking my personal favorite I’d be more likely to be thanking them than expecting them to be thanking me. I dunno, I reckon we just have different views on what the world owes us.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
  8. warrent

warrent Friend of Leo's

L&M is the fifth largest retailer of musical instruments in the world, so I'm sure they get priority.

So in the end they really didn't take your suggestion. That color has been offered by both CME and Musicians Friend before. Maybe Fender came up with the idea to offer the G5230T in that color for L&M. Maybe the VP thought by stealing your idea and putting it on the G5320T he could corner the world market in obscure Gretsch colors and retire to a private island. Maybe life goes on and we should just play music.

9. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I found an error (really) on Gretsch’s web site recently.
    I emailed them, and got a polite response saying they’d correct it.
    They didn’t offer me a free guitar, or anything.
    I’ve been sulking for weeks now.
    Last time I checked, they hadn’t fixed the error either.
    Don’t they know who I think I am?

P.S. They did fix the error.

10. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire

A guy saying "you should order 50 guitars in this color for me, I'll buy one" won't make a FSR happen. If a FSR does happens it'd happen because you aren't the only guy out there that wants a Broadway Jade 1953 Duo Jet Vintage Select with custom SD underwound Dynas with matching bobbins. Just sayin' man...

Deeve likes this.
  11. Blrfl

Blrfl Tele-Holic

Same here. A green Gretsch is an idea. You can't copyright, patent or trademark ideas.

I also don't get the "feigned ignorance" angle. It isn't as if a customer requesting that they carry green Gretsches five months ago is the standout event in the office since that time. You pass it on to the buyers, the buyers pass it on to the manufacturer and you look through your notes prior to the next order and see if anyone's asked for whatever new things Gretsch is selling this quarter.

Verne Bunsen likes this.
  12. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

I think the OP has a legitimate reason to be upset over this situation. He went out of his way to make a suggestion for a particular guitar that He would have an interest in purchasing, they applied that suggestion to something else and claimed ignorance about it all. That's like telling your customers that they don't matter.

13. Jim622

Jim622 Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Send them a bill for your man hours.

LutherBurger likes this.
  14. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Friend of Leo's

They've probably blocked his email address by now. :)

15. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Friend of Leo's

Or perhaps they were unable to fully accommodate his wish but did the best they could, and they were rewarded with an accusation of theft because it wasn't good enough.

16. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

OK. You brought out my snarky side. Jeez Louise, it’s an Electromatic. You can’t have custom shop options on a mid level guitar. Your expectations can only lead to disappointment.

Old duck likes this.
  17. Lonn

Lonn Friend of Leo's

Put me also in the "what did you expect?" camp. Were you hoping for a discount or something?

18. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

I wouldn't be pissed. You gave them "your" idea, which wasn't much of an idea in the first place – to put an existing color on an existing model. When you do that with no conditions, you are giving them free rein to do what they will with the "idea." (And bottom line for me, IMO it's a lame-o color that is very close to one that has been done to death on Fenders. If I never see another '50s-early '60s-esque pastel color on a guitar, I will be very pleased. Caddy Green is far more attractive, adult, and classy IMO.)

And no, what you "gave" them was not your "intellectual property." Anyone saying that doesn't know the first thing about copyright, trademark, and patent law.

I can see being disappointed in them using the color, but not on the model you wanted. But you have to call it what it is: a personal disappointment, nothing more. If I had a dime for every time I had been personally disappointed in color or specs choices a guitar manufacturer had made, I'd have enough money to buy what I wanted in the first place.

FWIW, many years ago, maybe circa 2004/2005 or so, I was on the old Epiphone forum, when someone from the company came in and started a thread asking for ideas for a year's worth of monthly special editions. I made a handful of suggestions. In the end they used two or three of mine, and they actually got made. I suggested an early LP/SG with Maestro Vibrola, and a white Wildkat with gold hardware. I have tried to find the thread just to verify this, but the old forum was deleted. I didn't mind. I just wish I had had the money to pounce on them when they came out; I did not, and now they are probably like hen's teeth. The Vibrola was really cool. It had the lyre engraving like a Gibson, but it said "Epiphone" instead of "Gibson." One of these limited models became the Wildcat Royale, which was in production for some time and sold quite well by my estimation. The only reason I didn't buy one was because they blew the design by using gold binding, instead of white.

jayyj likes this.
  19. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

This is ridiculous. If I emailed Fender and said I'd like to see a Squier CV 60s Strat in LPB, and now that they have it, would I be entitled to anything other than the chance to buy the guitar I wanted in the color I wanted? No. End of story.

hellopike, Old duck and EsquireOK like this.
  20. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire

I'd keep quiet. You are dealing with some bad hombres. No telling what they might do to shut you up.

SecretSquirrel and Keefsdad like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.