Would you be ticked off by this?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Winterwind, Aug 18, 2019.

1. Winterwind

Winterwind TDPRI Member

Back in March I pitched a Special Run to Long and McQuade (I'm Canadian) for a Gretsch G5220 Jet in Broadway Jade, a rare Gretsch colour.

Long and McQuade had never heard of that finish and thought maybe it was for CME (who did an SR in that colour on another model) so I did their homework for them, showed them the LTD Penguin in that colour and that it wasn't another retailer's, it was Gretsch's.

Well, Long and McQuade now have a LTD G5230T coming next month in Broadway Jade... the colour they never heard of until I suggested it to them.

So I emailed the VP again saying basically what's going on here? He says... Oh, another retailer just got that colour and we can't have it for a while. So I emailed back saying... no, you took my idea and put it on a different model. No response yet as I just sent my email.

Kind of ticked. Just wondering if anyone else would be.

2. tarheelbob

tarheelbob Tele-Meister Platinum Supporter

Yeah, I would be a little ticked. But, as you said, you did their homework for them. Then they took it and ran. At least they could have thanked you....

- Bob

3. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

L&M are at the mercy of their head office and the ordering, if a model is available to them in a specific colour they can order it in , now if they do order it in from head office they now need to wait for the manufacturer to have one available to them, then when they place an order for X number of units say 200 gretsch guitars for distro across canada they get it in , unless they have one in stock in another store ,

so dont be pissed with them they cant place a specific order for one unit untill they do a large for all the stores , also gretsch are all made in asia at present so there is that as well.

I encounter the same thing with the limited stock of left handed guitars always, affinity ,teles,strats. epiphone sg's LP's all in the same colors I have already < I was lucky to find a real gibson LP on line and have 2 american strats , but every thing else is second rate , som I now go by how playable is the unit.

But L&M have always treated me like gold over the last 40 years

4. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

Am I understanding correctly? You took an idea that was originally Gretsch's, passed it on to L&M, and now you're upset they're running with it? (sort of)
    Yes....they should have thanked you, offered to sell you one at cost (or greatly reduced price) and generally showed you appreciation for the idea.....but life's too short to let it bother you that much. If that's the WORST thing a company ever does to you, be grateful. ;)

5. 8barlouie

8barlouie Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I was thinking they should have extended their employee discount to you. Sort of honorary employee of the day sale as a token of their appreciation. I would definitely not be happy with the cold shoulder.

Matt G, Chunkocaster and nojazzhere like this.
  6. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Tele-Holic

So...

They took your color idea, and slapped it on another model?

Lucy gots some 'splainin to do. I'd say if you're certain they're aware that you pitched this, you're supposed to be mad.
    They owe you an explanation as to why they didn't go with what you pitched, but kept the color. They might say the bigsby makes it more likely to move, which is important since they have to commit to X amount of the Same guitar, but it wouldn't feel unreasonable to ask "why" .
    If they(who you're talking to) were aware of you pitching the idea in the first place.

7. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

Why would you be ticked off?

8. Matthias

Matthias Tele-Afflicted

Nope. I’d just be thrilled they’d listened to their customers.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2019
    Obsessed likes this.
  9. TeleFunk Man

TeleFunk Man Tele-Afflicted

Sorry, don't fully understand your issue. What were you expecting from L&M after suggesting a historically available Gretsch finish colour? Compensation, free guitar?

mrbdxmpl and hellopike like this.
  10. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

Instead of getting the guitar he wanted in that "colour", they put it on something else.

Winterwind likes this.
  11. Winterwind

Winterwind TDPRI Member

Exactly.

I dealt with the VP, one of the Long family, the entire time via email. And naturally I still have the emails back and forth.

They'd never heard of the Broadway Jade finish and their buyer even thought it was another retailer's exlusive until I showed them the LTD Penguin. Now they have a special run for next month with a colour they didn't even know existed until I pitched them on it.

And yeah, the G5230T has a B50 Bigsby... a tension bar Bigsby... and a licensed one at that... on an Electromatic is not my cup of tea but it's $120 more retail for them.

I've spent thousands with them over the years, close to 3k since I pitched them on the finish back in March and this just irked me.

12. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

“Broadway Jade” sounds like a “hooker with a heart of gold” character from an old movie.

13. hellopike

hellopike Tele-Afflicted

Put me firmly in the group of “what did you expect?”

The company doesn’t owe you a thing, not a discount, not a free guitar, not even a pat on the back. You don’t work for them, you don’t own any rights to the guitar or that finish... you’re just some guy who had a conversation with someone who runs a business.

Now, was it cool of the VP or whomever to do what he did... that’s debatable. Are you acquainted with this person at all? Or are you just a customer offering unsolicited information?

To the people suggesting he should be extended a discount or a free guitar... what fantasy world are you living in? This is business in 2019 we’re talking about.

14. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

Did you forget you BP meds? Consider it a compliment and move on.

mistermikev likes this.
  15. jrblue

jrblue Tele-Afflicted

Yikes. Sorry, but the OP's "idea" is simply combining a model and color in a combination not currently in production. People do that all the time. I suspect that L&M pitched the idea to Gretsch and the maker decided to do it on a different guitar. So what? They didn't steal some creative brainstorm or personal intellectual property. Honestly, I get being disappointed that what you want is not what's being made, but beyond that, there is no issue here at all, IMO. Honestly, I don't get it.

16. Texicaster

Texicaster Tele-Holic

I'd be flattered!

An idea you had got put into production.

What could you really expect? If it flops are you willing to cover some of the losses?

Business as usual!

TEX

moosie and mistermikev like this.
  17. Ben Bishop

Ben Bishop Tele-Meister

I get where you're coming from but I also did the math; you speak to them in March, units in that colour will be on the floor in September. I wonder what other wheels were turning in that time. It seems a short turnaround. I don't know what priority a Canadian outfit gets either; I think of the wretched Focal distributor and others where the Canadian market is treated as a minor bonus rather than a distinct target.

nojazzhere likes this.
  18. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Friend of Leo's

Need more information. Are you a professional Special Run consultant?

mistermikev and Chicago Matt like this.
  19. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

That's how it usually goes in marketing jobs in general. Stealing other peoples ideas is standard practice from what I can gather.
    Next time recommend a hot pink sparkle with green gecko burst as payback.
    Maybe a special edition Floyd rose equipped country gentleman?:)

Last edited: Aug 18, 2019
    Digital Larry, nojazzhere and Matt G like this.
  20. WilburBufferson

WilburBufferson Tele-Afflicted

I would want an inside track on said guitar, but as others have said or implied, you don't hold the reins. Like the rest of us lusting for the guitars on our short list, you can only hope they make it for us, and to add a bit to the pot, at a price that we like. I wouldn't be pissed, but hoping that they made it at a price point that wasn't of Custom Shop proportions.

I love me some sparkle finishes. A few years back, Gretsch offered some blue and pink sparkle Electromatics in the U-S of A. I could have ante'd up for one of them, but decided to wait on a more affordable option. Still waiting for that custom rum in the great white north.

Man, we are a patient bunch. :)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.