Would you be seen dead playing Squier at a big gig?

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by Kojoflo, Dec 3, 2016.

1. Skub

Skub Poster Extraordinaire

I've decided to use a Squier more often,maybe it'll help more folk remember how to spell the name properly. :)

2. robb3566

robb3566 Tele-Afflicted

Yeah I've never understood that. It's right on the headstock!!!

For a long time I thought the name had something to do with Billy Squier.

3. Tony474

Tony474 Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

I play gigs for money. I'm in the very fortunate position of being able to afford just about any guitar and amp I want. I own lots of guitars and amps, including six Telecasters and six Strats or derivatives thereof. I'm also a brand anti-snob - the world and his brother play Fender guitars and I'm less than willing to appear to be following the crowd. Nevertheless, three of my Teles are Fender-branded including an AV62RI Custom. Yet I'm entirely happy playing my ESP 400-series Strat and Tele and my bog-standard unmodified Squier Classic Vibe 50s Telecaster depending on the gig and my personal whim. Shock horror, I usually use solid state amps too. I've never lost a gig because of my choice of instruments and/or equipment; in fact I'm often (in all modesty) gratified to receive compliments on my playing. Anyone stupid enough to judge me or my performance solely on the basis of the brand of guitar I'm playing is someone for whose opinions I have no regard whatsoever, because they are clearly blinkered, not very bright and listen with their eyes and not their ears.

On the other hand I would far rather not be seen dead at all.

Badspike likes this.
  4. MandyMarie

MandyMarie Friend of Leo's

If you play well enough, no one cares.

Skub, Tony474, awasson and 4 others like this.
  5. songtalk

songtalk Friend of Leo's

Found the very squier affinity strat I referred to earlier! Completely forgot I drew on the pickguard! 12/17/10 I believe. Pre dad songtalk.

6. jaybones

jaybones Friend of Leo's

Wouldn't make any difference to me what the headstock says.

7. maloburro

maloburro Tele-Holic

[​IMG]

To be fair, the neck is a 50s fender V MIM. The body is a squier standard cherry burst with one vintage pickup in the neck and the original neck moved to the middle, middle and bridge wired to both tones and a CRL 5 way switch and it sounds great.

This was today at my school Christmas special.

robb3566 likes this.
  8. robb3566

robb3566 Tele-Afflicted

Great picture! I have that same guitar. I got it on CL for $125 thinking I'd tinker with it, but I just left it stock.

9. maloburro

maloburro Tele-Holic

Thanks Robb. I kept the neck for another project because like you said the whole guitar is great. I got Mine for $60. He was asking $50 but I felt guilty since they were going for 200 on fleebay.

The nice thing about squier standards is they have alnico pickups and the CVs have toneriders. I have a fender FSR BSB that I swapped stock neck pup for a 50s CV
    Neck because it's better. The FSR has stock ceramics that I don't find as articulate as CV and standards pickups.

10. maloburro

maloburro Tele-Holic

I also read the cherry burst is an ash body but I'm no wood expert

11. ComingApart

ComingApart Tele-Meister

i couldn't care less about what the audience thinks of the quality of my instrument. 99.5% of the people in the audience won't know, or care, a $200 guitar from a $20,000 one. as long as it serve my purpose as expected, i'm good. I don't play for the benefit of other guitar nerds...

12. Tele Porter

Tele Porter TDPRI Member

I have a really nice MIJ Fender Tele from the mid 80's. Gigged it to death. Several years ago I couldn't deal with the worn frets any longer so I bought a Squier CV50. I discovered how much I loved the 9.5" radius and wider fret wire on the Squier neck. The 80's Fender Tele had 7.25" radius neck and narrow fret wire. I loved the CV50 so much that rather than have my 7.25" Fender neck refretted I bought a CV50 neck on Ebay and stuck it on the Fender.

So now both my Fender and my Squier have Squier decals on their Squier necks. I am only caught live -- never dead -- when playing both of them in public.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2016
  13. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

I proudly played a Harley Benton Les Paul at my last gig. No one cared, least of all me. And to me, it's my Les Paul and I love it.

14. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I'd be excited to play a Squier at the big show. The main reason in the USA why you see it so little is because FMIC is there in the wings somewhere to get the instrument with the right (Fender) headstock into the hands of the players they think should be Fender label players and the rest just do as best they can.

One of the other reasons for a Fender label headstock is, when you go to be paid, the venue owner might assume you know a lawyer who could bust him down if he plays games and won't pay. Right or wrong, the unscrupulous venue owner may try to rip you off if he thinks you can't afford a high end lawyer or a high end guitar.

And honestly, if I had an off brand Lawsuit type cheapo, I'd replace it or remove the imaging altogether. I see no reason to advertise for Harley Benton or SX. Once again, sounds like an invitation to have the venue owner think you're homeless or something.

15. PCollen

PCollen Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Interesting...which "pro's" play Squire guitars or basses.I have looked at the Squire endorsers, and I don't recognize the name of a singe one. If "pro" means anyone who gets paid to play a gig, then that's understandable. But I have only seen one player, a local (Howie Katz), years ago playing a Squire Strat at a little downtown bar. Have to say he played that guitar very well and it sounded good.

16. PCollen

That's my position on it, as well.

gtrjunior likes this.
  17. PCollen

If I were to change the headstock decal, I wouldn't put a Fender one on it. I'd make it unique...I'd change it from Squire to Squirrel download.jpg

18. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Or Sarazen.

19. awasson

awasson Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I'm jonesing for a Strat and have been for a while. Right now I'm looking at a few 80's Japanese Squiers. They're different from the "Squiers" you can pick up at the local music shop but to anyone who just looks at labels, they're all the same.

I'd take an A Series Squier from the mid 80's over that piece of cr*p early 90's USA Fender Strat I used to own. The only thing of value on that guitar was the label. ...Oh, it had a really nice case too.

20. filtersweep

filtersweep Tele-Meister

I'd rather be melting faces on a Squier than struggling on a PRS private stock or Gibson Custom.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.