Would you be fine with just 2-3 stomp boxes?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by oceanblue, Mar 3, 2019.

1. NewKid

NewKid Tele-Holic

8EDDDA06-8342-4366-9504-C9BF4831B0A0.jpeg 048514EE-9E4A-4401-9F88-FC1522A770E5.jpeg

Here’s my entire pedal collection:
    1. Tumnus - boost/overdrive
    2. Canyon - Delay and Reverb
    3. Boss RC-1 - Simple Looper

My guitar is a Tele and my amp is a Pro Junior IV, and I use a TC Polytune clip-on tuner.

I traded my Triangle Big Muff Pi for the Boss RC-1 yesterday because I just couldn’t make that fuzz work for me.

I may eventually try a JHS Mini Foot Fuzz because there’s definitely room on this Pedaltrain Nano for one more pedal.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2019
    Sean Mac likes this.
  2. 8trackmind

8trackmind Tele-Holic

No...I've been stomp box dependent since the late 80s and never run less than six. I need to be able to go from country to rock in seconds without any knob fiddling. I also need a consistent volume.

3. sothoth

sothoth Tele-Holic Double Platinum Supporter

I love messing with pedals but for the most part I play with my guitar, my amp, a power cable, and the 1/4” cable, and that’s it. Yet I can’t seem to part with any of the 14 or so pedals I own.

4. Gin Mill Cowboy

Gin Mill Cowboy Tele-Meister

Yes, Greer Lightspeed, XTS Imperial OD, Maxon Analog Delay. All plowed by a Volto 3. Loving this small but mighty board.

These days I don’t use the Maxon all that much and I’m considering swapping the XTS for a fuzz.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. schenkadere

schenkadere Friend of Leo's

My new 3. Mooer Yellow Comp>Donner Boost Killer>Donner Yellow Fall delay. I have more I don’t often use and could be happy with just these 3.

I really think these are 3 of the standout Chinese minis. All 3 are excellent pedals.

6. Jimmy Dean

Jimmy Dean Tele-Afflicted

IMAG0874.jpg

7. Chief101

Chief101 Tele-Meister

My essentials: boss TU3 Tuner, keeley comp, ep booster, boss blues driver, Ibanez 808, EB JR vol pedal, mxr carbon copy delay.

So, seven, I guess.

8. Ben Harmless

Ben Harmless Friend of Leo's

This is one of the best of... this kind of thread that I've seen. So many experiences and philosophies.

I play through a master-volume Marshall and I have a volume knob. That used to be enough. Now I'm in a power-pop/throwback-psychedelic band, and I need to make lots of noises for one song and a little texture for some others. This is my band rig:

...On the other hand, I have a growing solo act that involves a little more...

Gunerius likes this.
  9. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

Ideally I think 4 is the right number assuming you have an amp with reverb. Delay, Modulation, full range OD and Fuzz. By full range OD I mean something that just put a little hair on your tone to something that can get very dirty. The Fuzz is actually and optional need IMO for what I like to play. BTW, when I say pedals I mean pedals with a typical footprint, not big multifunction pedals like some of the Strymons etc.
    I could get there with my Delay, KOT, SunFace, and Keeley which does chorus and rotary. However, I also have Catalinbread DLS and 5F6 foundation pedals to turn my PRRI into a Marshall or a Tweed but I could live without them.

10. TeleTex82

TeleTex82 Friend of Leo's

Yes, and I am. One boost, one fuzz, one modulation.

11. scottser

scottser Tele-Afflicted

Dirt, delay and wah gets me through everything i know how to play.

skerwo likes this.
  12. cyclopean

cyclopean Friend of Leo's

oh hell no. who would eat an all rice cake diet on purpose?

13. skerwo

skerwo Tele-Holic

+1. Exactly my needs, everything else belongs to the keyboard player ;)

14. dsouza

dsouza TDPRI Member

If I were to choose 3 stomp boxes I would pick an overdrive, a delay, and a reverb.

Something like a tubescreamer, eventide timefactor, and Big sky reverb for shimmer sounds.

That would help me with 90% of my ambient rock recordings.

However, these days I’ve chosen the Helix Hx.

www.youtube.com/u2adrian1000

15. zeedoctour

zeedoctour Tele-Meister

I'd rather raise the "throw it in a gig bag casual session" board (tiny) to 4 myself. Compressor, Overdrive, Vibe and Reverb _or_ Delay. Delay can fake a Reverb if you're pressed to need to do it. But if I had to stick to just 3 I'd drop the Reverb or Delay and demand the amp I'm using have reverb built in. :cool:

16. ifallalot

ifallalot Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Absolutely.

But it depends on which amp I have. I need tremolo and reverb. If my amp has that, I could get away with just a tuner and a fuzz. The other pedals I have are "nice to have" pedals, and I run a pretty small pedalboard as it is

I've learned so much by using the volume knob, and now, on my Reverends, the bass contour knob

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.