Would you be fine with just 2-3 stomp boxes?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by oceanblue, Mar 3, 2019.

1. hoboroadie

hoboroadie TDPRI Member

Jext Telez White Pedal>Boss PH-1 Phaser>Dunlop EP103 Echoplex. Normally I would pair that with a Hofner Germanium Fuzz>Boss SP-1 Spectrum>Boss OD-1 Overdrive>MXR Phase 45 via a Lehle ground lifter and into another amplifier, but you're asking can I adapt myself to suit onerous and arbitrary conditions...

2. teleplayr

teleplayr Tele-Holic

A tuner, distortion & delay would work for me if that's all I could use.

Steve 78 likes this.
  3. raysachs

raysachs Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

If my amp has really good reverb and you don't count tuners or loopers, then yeah, I could get by with three. A bit of delay to go along with my bit of reverb which are on all the time. And an OD for dirt and a clean boost to equalize volume between clean and dirty.

As is, I do both delay and reverb on my pedal board - both always on but neither too heavy. And an OD and clean boost. So I use four. But I also have a tuner, an EQ (basically just there for the rare situation when I plug in my acoustic guitar) and two loopers (one complex one that stores tracks and one dead simple one for spontaneous stuff where I don't have to go hunting around for an empty slot and lose the moment). And sometimes I add a wah, but rarely.

hdvades likes this.
  4. Obelisk

Obelisk Tele-Afflicted

Even though I own way too many pedals that I rarely use, I could easily cut tracks or play live without any pedals. I come from the era when having a wah or fuzz was kind of novel(meaning I remember guitars without compact Boss pedals-their introduction changed the game. I come from the time when you had to order a Big Muff directly from EH, and they cost $35). If I was still actively playing live I would have a chain of 7-8 pedals. If it had to be 3, then it would be a Foxx Fuzz/Wah which is a combo of a the venerable Foxx Tone Machine octave fuzz with one of their wah pedals with 4 different wah tapers. Pedal 2 would be a Moog MF-102 Ring Mod. I probably use the EHX Ring Thing more often, but that Moog has been core to my sound for decades now. All sorts of sounds can be had with that pedal. Last would be a EP-2 Echoplex with 3 tape heads. I more often use the pedal version of the Korg SDD-3000 than any of my Echoplexes, but I would opt for the Echoplex because I have been using one since the early 80's.

Foxx Fuzz/Wa--->>Moog MF-102--->> Echoplex EP-2

Hard to leave an Origin Effects Slide Rig compressor(big box version), but I can do more sculpting with the Moog. If I decided the compressor over a modulation type pedal that would be:

Slide Rig--->>>Foxx Fuzz Wah--->> EP-2 Echoplex

Either chain would be flexible enough for my needs. Then again a poor craftsman blames their tools.

5. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Tele-Holic

Well let's see;
    20190313_233558.jpg

I'm already a minimalist, I'd say one of the distortions and either the delay or chorus. To be fair, all 3 current amps have reverb.
    The AB box is a relic from running the bassman and 75 for different cleans or fuzzes, the tuner I got cheap when the led display ones came out, and the phaser I own because I talked it down cheap. For the record, my list of pedals I want are basically all chinese copies of stuff I know I've liked, like a Rat, ts9, OCD, etc. Also would like good analog stereo chorus, DS1, and one of them newfangled LED mini pedal tuners.
    I'd possibly be open to trading my AD999 for an AD9pro, someday.

Basically the muff or Gfuzz depends on what I'm doing, and the chorus is only more needed over the delay for alt/grunge stuff from my past, as the delay works fine in the same role for other stuff.

I like simplicity when playing, but choices in planning.

6. Beachbum

Beachbum Friend of Leo's

For Blues and Country all ya really need is a Pedal tuner, Compression and digital delay. Well, maybe some trem for the sappy stuff.:)

7. Jimmy Dean

Jimmy Dean Tele-Afflicted

Belle Epoch Deluxe, Flint & Ego.

8. Richie-string

Richie-string Tele-Meister

UK in the North - Yorkshire, but now in the South.
    Yes i think so. In fact if an amp has reverb and a good overdrive channel then i could get by with none. But like all things guitar related it's nice to experiment a bit so if the opportunity is there then i suppose i could easily use more than that, but no not essential.

9. NewKid

NewKid Tele-Meister

Tumnus > Triangle BMP > Canyon Delay

Last week I had no pedals. Now my pedal collection is complete at 3. The Canyon has a looper as well.

I don’t gig so I tune with a Snark. I also use a Line 6 G10 Relay wireless system for cable freedom.

10. Skip Reid

Skip Reid TDPRI Member

I guess I could, but only if I had to.

I need a tuner, overdrive, and reverb at the minimum.

I do like to have about 3 overdrives and one fuzz though. I just like different flavors at all times for options. Also stacking gets different sounds. I also want some delay, a little vibe or phase, my Mini Vent II, trem, and maybe some compression. Heck I hate chorus, but I have 2 of those too lol.

I could just plug straight into an amp and get by, but I like having options. I do have 3 boards, ranging from small grab n go, a country board, and then my huge, ridiculous board. It's fun.

11. Mr_Martin

Mr_Martin Tele-Holic

No

318D9A32-7AC1-44AA-AC85-92A7EEDE6F05.jpeg

12. Brian J.

Brian J. Tele-Afflicted

yes a wah. a distortion, and a flanger

13. scottser

scottser Tele-Afflicted

wah, overdrive and delay for me please.

14. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

I'm ok with just one
    [​IMG]
    :cool: It's all I use, live

15. fatcat

fatcat Friend of Leo's

Yes I would be fine with 2-3 stomp boxes 90% of the time. Plimsoul, delay and phaser. My Fender and Vox have reverb and tremolo.

If I were using my Orange amp I'd be fine with just 1. RV-6 has a reverb and delay setting. DrieD in the amp is fine.

16. burtf51

burtf51 Tele-Meister

i could and can personally get by with none, reverb and tremolo is all i ever needed on my old super/deluxe amps but i've known a few guys that simply would have to cancel a job if they forgot their massive pedal conglomeration

17. trahx

trahx Tele-Meister

One
    [​IMG]

18. Twang Deluxe

Twang Deluxe Tele-Meister

I would be fine just with my Tele my DRRI (Vibrato and Reverb are nice), my Boss GE7 (I use it as a boost and for cocked wah sounds) and my TC MojoMojo

19. stevemc

stevemc Tele-Holic

ts9,bd2,both keeley modded and a dd3

20. chemobrain

chemobrain Friend of Leo's

thinking about this again , I would be fine without and , I that I like the amp sounds that my Digitech Preamp Processor can create.
    Today if there was one pedal that I would have is the Strymon Deco Pedal. oh ;)make that two pedals the other being the CabDriVR cab simulator and ooops:oops: one more the FreqOut , feedback pedal and then there is the :eek:WMD Geiger Counter, 4ms the Picogenerator :cool:, not to forget the delays and reverbs, yeah that's all:twisted:.
    that would cover the back to basics pedals , for now.;)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.