Would you be fine with just 2-3 stomp boxes?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by oceanblue, Mar 3, 2019.

1. lefty73

lefty73 Tele-Afflicted

Sure, one pedal could do it, as long as it's something like my HX Effects. :)

Seriously though - compressor, heavy overdrive, delay.

schenkadere likes this.
  2. schenkadere

schenkadere Friend of Leo's

I'm currently using just a Visual Sound Route 66 and a Malekko Ekko 616. Technically 2 pedals but 3 effects...well, the Ekko has modulation too, is that 4 effects? lol. It can definitely do a pretty convincing chorus.

3. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I'm still looking for the pedal that makes it sound like I'm plugged straight into the amp.:)

hoboroadie likes this.
  4. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

It also probably depends on what the rest of the rig consists of, too. And where you play, and how loud or quiet things tend to get.

With my 5E3 replicant, pedals are kind of optional, at least with the kinds of garage rock sounds that I tend to make with it.

With my Quilter 101 Mini, it almost seems silly not to use pedals, because it really shines with them, IMO. But three might be just sufficient, or a few more might work out even better. Right now, I'm using six, but one of them is a tuner, and one is an "alternate option" drive box (e.g. it's about to get pulled from the board). The other four are reverb, delay, lighter drive, and moderate(/heavier) drive.

With my tweaked and cleaned up old silverface Bassman head (into a 2X12 cab), it could be a situation of almost no pedals, or possibly three (which is what I have on my shortboard with it right now - delay/trem/drive), or it could be even more. That amp stays nice and clean at lower volumes, so it's a great platform for using drive boxes. I modified the bass input to be more Brit-like, so it tends to need less drive box assist at gig volume levels. Even the normal input doesn't really start to slip into overdrive until about 8 on the volume dial, so drive boxes become proof of sanity, and a means to retain hearing.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2019
    SolidSteak and Straydogger like this.
  5. ScubaGeek

ScubaGeek Tele-Meister

Sure if one of them was a Line 6 Distortion Modelr, and the other was either a Line 6 Delay Modeler or Eventide Time Factor. Mind you, I'd need a bunch of MIDI control pedals to get the most out of the Eventide, but as far as what's in the signal chain, give me those two and a volume pedal in between them, and I could probably make do with just that onstage.

Oh yeah, and I"d need an A/B switch so I can route the signal up to my modular synth. What?! It's not a pedal, it sits on a stand with arm's reach. :twisted:

6. ScubaGeek

ScubaGeek Tele-Meister

New from BOSS! The CD-3 Cord!!! The perfect pedal to make it sound like you're not using pedals!

7. SolidSteak

SolidSteak Friend of Leo's

I mostly use a Quilter Tone Block 200 into a 2x12, and that thing was just BUILT for pedals. One day I'm gonna have a 5e3 though for sure.

As for my own answer to the OP's question: I am currently enjoying a 4-pedal layout of Mr. Black Deluxe Plus, Rogue Analog Delay, Tech 21 Plexi, and BBE Windowpane Fuzz, and I'm not sure I could get rid of any one of them without second thoughts. I either use that board, or no effects at all. Well maybe a Strymon Flint :D

8. Wyzsard

Wyzsard Friend of Leo's

Bass>Radial Dragster>Broughton HPF>Creation Audio MK.4.23>Keeley Bassist>Radial Big shot ABY>(2)Ampeg PF 50Ts

Only consider two of those pedals. The Keeley and the MK.4.23

All are always on/set and forget.

9. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire

If I were in a country band again, yes. Rat, Flashback and HOF would get a gig done for sure. I would pine for a second OD stage, comp and trem. Having a lot of variety on a board is not a good thing or a bad thing, its how you use what you have that makes it good or bad.

10. stanger

stanger Tele-Meister

I own one of those yurp green Ibanez fuzz boxes that's worth a fortune now, and I never used it much when I had the need for it. I have one son who can put it to better use, and I think he deserves a surprise gift once in a while.

Nowadays, I no longer have the need, as my old reliable Blues Deluxe does the job for me with just a kiss of reverb added to the basic tone.

But lately, I've been listening to Bill Frisell a lot. The guy can pull tone out of a cardboard box for sure, but Bill gets some fantastic tone out of his Teles with his stomp boxes, and he's got me interested in trying to get some of that tone myself. I'm hoping it's the stomp boxes, not his magic hands, of course.

11. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Perfect

12. Rich724

Rich724 Tele-Meister

The basics would be reverb and overdrive. For me anymore than that would be tune specific .

Ben-Zion likes this.
  13. KyAnne

KyAnne Tele-Afflicted

Yes.

14. WildcatTele

WildcatTele Tele-Meister

I learned a long time ago that for me all the doo-hickeys are a lot of fun to play with and sound awesome when I'm by myself in the basement, but when the rest of the band is there it's all just mud and I wind up fooling with knobs more than paying attention to the music. I've always thought my best sound comes when I could get it all down to Fingers+guitar+cord+amp; everything is just so much more alive and responsive.

bftfender likes this.
  15. noah330

noah330 Friend of Leo's

Sure. I think I have like 5 on my bored. I could def do it with 2. Heck, I could do it with none if my map had channel switching.

16. karpis

karpis Tele-Holic

For my playing I utilize two pedals phase 90 and some dirt, tuner odd clip on. But for collecting/having - no, I like those 4 fuzz faces alone;)

17. FerruleCat

FerruleCat Tele-Holic

Polytune>Timmy>MXR 7-band EQ

Ostriker likes this.
  18. Marc Muller

Marc Muller Tele-Holic

Went to see a couple young bands in Asbury recently. 1st guy started a solo, was surprised how good he sounded and little fx. Then, as he was nicely developing his solo, he started stomping on pedals, turning knobs, creating noise, but not in a good way. Totally blew the momentum and killed the moment.
    Next band came on and guitar guy had so many fx on you couldn't make out ANYTHING he was playing. I dunno, kids these days. Maybe I'm just old.

Ben-Zion likes this.
  19. TheDams

TheDams Tele-Meister

Polytune mini (does that count as an effect ?) -> Thomas Organ Wah -> Fulltone 2B boost -> JHS Tremolo -> Van Amps reverb...

20. Tony Forman

Tony Forman Tele-Meister

I can go either way regarding pedals. My preference is no pedals, straight into the amp. My main reason for this is the more equipment I have to schlep to a gig the less I enjoy the gig. So it's usually just an amp, a guitar, and a curly lead. If I have to play some rockabilly then I'll break out a Boss Delay pedal. For a time there I was rehearsing with a rock band and had to take a pedalboard containing a Korg Pitchblack Tuner, Morley Bad Horsie Wah, Boss Phaser, Maxon OD9, Boss CS3 Comp, Morley PVO Volume Pedal and a Boss DD6 Delay. Man, I hated karting all that **** around. When the band folded I thought, "Great! I'm never doing the pedalboard thing again."

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.