Would you be fine with just 2-3 stomp boxes?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by oceanblue, Mar 3, 2019.

1. Tornado

Tornado TDPRI Member

Only three stompboxes is pretty limlited. I like to switch between a clean sound with comp, a semi clean sound with a mild overdrive, a pretty high gain sound with overdrive and a realy high gain sound for solo. And I like to spice them up with phaser, chorus, echo and reverb. Only three pedal will not be enough to achieve that. So a good multi fx like the good old ME-5 or a switching system with at least 8 pedals will be necessary for the different sounds I want.

2. ShortintheSleeve

ShortintheSleeve TDPRI Member

I think I could get by with three. I run my Vox AC15 with just a bit of breakup, so I could live with my Wampler Tumnus (or some other light-medium OD), a delay, and a modulation pedal of some kind.

3. OldGuy6873

OldGuy6873 Tele-Holic

If you have a multi channel amp and you are happy with the OD/Distortion tone you get from it, all you really need is a Wah, Compression, and Delay. Especially if the amp has Reverb.

4. FenderLover

FenderLover Friend of Leo's

I'm more like 12-15, but 2-3 at a time - sure, that's about right. The key is that most folks couldn't tell which 2-3 were on.

5. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

Does the amp have reverb? Nice, but not required.
    Am I playing rockabilly? I'd like a bit of something for slap.

Otherwise, I would choose the right size amp to breakup in the room that I am playing.

telemnemonics likes this.
  6. DenisFC

DenisFC TDPRI Member

I feel fine with 0 pedals. Clip on tuner and reverb on amp.

Ben-Zion likes this.
  7. NewKid

NewKid Tele-Meister

I don't have any pedals right now and use the reverb on my Henriksen Ten amp. In the future I plan to add a Looper, Delay, and maybe that Strymon Flint for nicer reverb and tremolo.

8. basher

basher Tele-Afflicted

I'm running wah > OD > phaser > delay into my Blackstar HT Club 40, with a booster in the effects loop. I use the delay on maybe 3 songs, and I'm not really sure why I have the phaser on my board at all. For that matter, I could probably talk myself out of the other pedals if I tried. The Blackstar sounds absolutely killer all by itself.

9. dougstrum

dougstrum Tele-Holic

1 OD pedal plenty and probably only used about 5% of the time.

Temolo and delay nice to have. They are good for specific songs. So yes 2-3 pedals is about right for me.

10. fasteddie42

fasteddie42 Tele-Holic

I'm an amateur that doesn't gig. I have primary focus on rockabilly/blues/country blues/ etc. Basically clean(ish) guitar based music.

I find a cranked greta/pro junior/prri and an aquapuss goes a long way. I try to ride the guitar knobs and occasionally add a red llama for dirt.

I could likely get by with just two.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2019
  11. micpoc

micpoc Friend of Leo's

As long as the amp is some variety of stereo Roland Jazz Chorus with reverb, sure.
    1. Compressor
    2. Distortion
    3. Delay

And most days I could live without the distortion.

12. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I never run more three at a time so no problem, but deciding which three might prove more difficult than lugging a bigger board.

My main problem is that sometimes I just want a different sound, and other times I have trouble finding just the right sound for the situation.

I can be happy with just an AD into an OR15.

13. magicfingers99

magicfingers99 Friend of Leo's

I'd be happy if I could just cut down to one of each pedal.

upload_2019-3-4_16-47-54.jpeg

(warning – the garage door starts going up and down and all the lights in the house dim when I light this mother off)

At this point, I’m mostly workin to just pay for batteries for the darn thing. I don’t even know what most of this stuff does anymore.

My signal chain is getting a little complicated and it usually takes about 45 minutes to get rid of the hum before I’m ready to play and by then I’m usually hungry and just take a break…

Looking for a wah-wah with a true bypass, if you got anything for less than 8$ and are willing to take some kinda noisy patch cords in exchange (I can pickup Tierra del fuego on a couple of them if you are into shortwave)

14. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire

No, not on my current material. I have ten on my board. The most I have on at any one time is 3. OD, echo, verb mostly.

15. tlsmack

tlsmack Tele-Afflicted

Fuzz, overdrive, and delay would suit me 90% of the time (assuming the amp has decent reverb.)

16. Ben-Zion

Ben-Zion Tele-Meister

The reverb on my Henriksen JazzAmp 10 is wonderful. That means I only require a tuner.

NewKid likes this.
  17. telerocker1988

telerocker1988 Tele-Afflicted

No.

I prefer pedal overdrive to cranking an amp, so I have 3-6 dirt pedals on any given board. That's to cover all the bases between amp in a box pedals, general overdrives, etc. I love tubescreamers into clean amps and I also love AIAB type pedals and all the varieties (bluesbreaker, klon, timmy, etc).

My essentials are tuner, compressor, delay, reverb, and dirt. I'm not big on modulation so I usually just use a multifx unit for that. I usually use an M9 for most of my delays, reverbs, and modulation. Basically use multifx for everything but dirt. Some might say the M9 is cheating here, but it's definitely a must have box for me. I like a lot of newer country stuff, where I'm playing U2-y parts or pop/rnb sounds with a ambient sound with delays and reverbs. So having one box do it all is nice. My plan for this year is to upgrade to the HX Effects which is a better sounding version of the M9 with newer effects.

18. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

I'm perfectly fine straight in, but a couple of pedals do make it more fun. At practice tonight (country stuff) I used an analog delay and comp all night (the delay is more important than the comp) and a Boss tremolo pedal on a couple of songs. I tried using a dirt pedal on one song and it was just terrible.

19. chemobrain

chemobrain Friend of Leo's

delay reverb and a dirt box. o0h yeah lest I forget, my Digitech Freq-Out pedal.

20. bendercaster

bendercaster Tele-Holic

I think I could get by with a Rat and a delay if I had to. 90 percent of the time I play clean, but for the couple of songs that I use the clean boost, the auto wah, and EHX C9, I like having them on my board.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.