Would you approve the US joining the metric system? (meters, celsius, etc..)

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by homesick345, Oct 1, 2019.

1. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

You're confusing bolt/nut diameter with thread pitch it sounds like.

You can go to the hardware store and buy 18mm bolts with different thread pitch. That's all that is going on. The Japanese manufacturer specified one and the German manufacturer specified another. That is not unique to metric it happens with English/Imperial fasteners too. It's further confused by some systems listing the distance between two threads (e.x. 1.5mm from thread to thread) & the others listing # of threads that fit within a specific measurement (e.x. 16 threads per inch).

Campagnolo & Shimano parts are all specified pretty carefully. They're not compatible because they're not designed to be compatible, it has nothing to do with the measurement systems.

kodiakblair likes this.
  2. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

nope.
    nothing wrong with the system the US already has in place. Let them come to us

Owenmoney, moosie and muchxs like this.
  3. E5RSY

E5RSY Doctor of Teleocity

Yes, the USA needs to hurry up and change. It's really been holding us back. :rolleyes:

JuneauMike, moosie, muchxs and 2 others like this.
  4. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

Also all these complaints about "I know what 35 degrees or 60 miles per hour mean, I don't know what the metric equivalent means".

If you go to Europe or Canada for a couple weeks you will rapidly start to know what the metric equivalents mean just from driving around or watching the weather reports on the news.

5. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

Do you remember the NASA spacecraft lost within the last 10 years that cost us hundreds of millions in taxes because of metric:english conversion errors?

That's holding us back.

edit: It was 20 years ago.

kodiakblair likes this.
  6. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

If you mean US industry, can we blame the metric system for execs farming out manufacture to already metric offshore companies?

But then if we Muricans already spec metric, why can't Chinese factories get dimensions right when making Murican products?

Owenmoney, Flakey and muchxs like this.
  7. E5RSY

One could counter, and easily so, that it wouldn't have happened if conversion efforts weren't initiated to begin with.

Owenmoney likes this.
  8. unixfish

unixfish Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Don't you mean 2019-10-01 - the proper way to show dates? Otherwise, it's not sortable! :D

ale.istotle and Torren61 like this.
  9. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire

Heck no!! And SS isn't better than tubes. And poly isn't better than nitro. Soccer, really? Let them change to our system if conversion is too hard for them. What, 64.77 cm scale length on a Tele? Get the heck off my lawn!

Owenmoney likes this.
  10. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

Eh.. Lockheed Martin had been specifically instructed to build a module that calculated data in metric (newton-seconds) and the shipped one that calculated the values in English (pound-force seconds).

It was Lockheed Martin's fault they didn't do what they were supposed to. There was no conversion involved cause spacecraft had been SI units for a long time already.

11. unixfish

unixfish Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

OK, let me take this one step further.

The metric system is based on the circumference of the earth (if I remember correctly). However, when you are considering space and distance off Earth, this metric is meaningless (see what I did there?)

Maybe we should use something else as a basis - like the wavelength of white light (tough to define) times some multiple of 10 to get a distance between a foot and a meter. Or maybe some other wavelength. Then, that measurement basis will be universal across planets. Cube it, fill it with water, and we have weight. Etc.

But yeah - metric system is much better than what we have now.

12. Alamo

Alamo Doctor of Teleocity

metric vs imperial.jpg
    Really?

wtk0315, Blue Bill and Torren61 like this.
  13. telemnemonics

I do mix Campy and Shimano components on the same bikes, but try to keep the Italian parts at least 10" or 254mm away from any Japanese parts.
    Note that invariably those are going on Italian frames though, and I manage to run an Italian bottom bracket with a Murican CNC crank separating the Shimano chain and derailleurs from the Campagnolo BB and Ciocc/ Guerciotti/ Olmo frames.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, diplomacy is key.
    Wait, that was in a thread about soundproofing the garage to keep the wife happy.

Hmmm, metrics and marriage?
    Inches and cm's?
    Italians and Japanese?
    Can't we all just get along?

muchxs and Torren61 like this.
  14. E5RSY

When the effort to change happened doesn't matter. Was there ever a time when the space program wasn't SI? Maybe there wasn't, and they were always SI. I don't know. I'll defer to you on that.

15. bumnote

bumnote Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

99393C2D-638A-4745-9324-C85BB424DF21.jpeg

Honestly, the rest of the world is all but metric. The US uses A LOT of metric because of international trade.
    It's also just easier. Years ago when I started reloading I started using metric measurements...it was just so much easier to determine things like OAL in metric.

Torren61 likes this.
  16. telemnemonics

8B0D4465-0684-4163-9059-70EFABE9AB5C.jpeg E9CC11A6-9FA9-47F1-A351-3587AA39A0CC.jpeg Black Olmo frame and blue Ciocc frame, both with Murican Race Face CNC mountain bike cranks on Campangnolo BBs with Dura Ace derailleurs and worse still controlled by Deore XT indexing shifters.

17. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

The spacecraft might not have always been metric... my guess is there's no way they were until after Apollo.

The metric conversion act was 1975 and it looks like NASA might have waited till 1991?

There's got to be someone here who worked on the Space Shuttle or something.

I've been to NASA 3-4x I can't believe I never asked anyone this question!

But whatever happened it had been all metric for a long time by 1999.

18. vgallagher

vgallagher Tele-Meister

Sign me up. We're in the tooling business for machining and carrying both metric and imperial tooling is a pain.. and expensive.

19. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Yes.

20. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

does this mean I'll finally find my 10mm socket?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.