Would you approve the US joining the metric system? (meters, celsius, etc..)

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by homesick345, Oct 1, 2019.

1. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I've had some British cars and bikes as well as some of the oddly numbered imperial wrenches.
    Can you explain the wrench numbering system that used to have inch reference yet didn't correspond to the actual width of the wrench opening or nut? Seems like the number indicated radius rather than total width or some such foolishness?
    IIRC those wrenches didn't fit British nuts!

Obsessed likes this.
  2. telemnemonics

I just moved an '80s Vetter front suspension out of my garage and the fasteners were half metric and half SAE.
    Confused me for a while as I was taking it apart and my wrenches fit funny.
    Uh, was this to save on smaller nuts?

I know I often feel cheated out of toe room with those metric shoe sizes going from 46 1/2 to 12.

Owenmoney likes this.
  3. DekeDog

DekeDog Tele-Meister

I've had to work in the metric system for a long time, but I still need to do the rough conversion mentally. As long as I've worked with it, it has not become the standard in my brain.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2019
    Owenmoney likes this.
  4. notmyusualuserid

notmyusualuserid Friend of Leo's

You're searching in the wrong place.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/chicken_satay_noodles_95490

https://www.theguardian.com/food/20...om-risotto-recipe-felicity-cloake-masterclass

'Cups' and/or (fluid) ounces as a measure irritates me intensely :)

jhundt likes this.
  5. INFANT

INFANT Tele-Holic

I've been working for a supplier to the US auto industry and they have been metric for at least 40 years. In the beginning we used to get drawings that were metric conversions of Imperial so the dimensions would read 3.18 (1/8" or 0.125") or 25.4mm (1.00'). However, in the late 80's, all drawings from the big 3 were fully metric and so dimensions became 3mm (0.118") or 25mm (0.98"). Metric is so much simpler to use and if it had been taught in school once it was implemented, everyone under the age of 40 would be using it today and would have no clue what an inch or a foot is. In Canada, we went metric in the mid 70s and so my 31yr old son and 27yr old daughter don't really know the imperial system. I still like to use inches and feet, especially when using lumber.

What's funny is that most golf courses up here are still in yards. Probably because hitting it 250yds sounds better than 228m.

ale.istotle likes this.
  6. tubelectron

tubelectron Tele-Holic

I use both metric and imperial when required. No real issue...

25.4mm = 1"
    304.5mm = 1'
    453g = 1lbs
    1016kg = 1Ton
    12" = 1' = 304.5mm
    15" = 381mm
    etc...

I know many usual conversion by heart, but my mind is metric. I feel personally that precision is metric. Here in EU nearly all is metric, so...

But it's me, OK ? :D

A+!

7. ale.istotle

ale.istotle Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

The funny thing here in the US is our beer is normally in 12oz and when we get your 'full 33cl serving' it is 0.8oz short of our expected serving. Drives my brother nuts.

tele12 and jhundt like this.
  8. telemnemonics

1FDC899D-819A-4B8E-91A8-4D767BBEBE5D.jpeg Here’s a Kodak lens from the US fine lens making era.
    This one is from the ‘40s.

Not sure if Wiley Coyote had already bought out Acme at this time but the company used to make fine lens shutters.

9. Antmax

Antmax Tele-Meister

I grew up in the UK with both and tend to use a mishmash depending on whether it's human scale in feet like how high is a tree or the chimney of the house, or a distance in miles. I'd probably use yards more than meters too. I use mm and centimeters for almost anything small or that that needs more precise accurate measurements.

Fractions make no sense to me whatsoever. I like my local mom and pop hardware store and use them as much as possible. They stock better quality stuff than big box store with an emphasis on made in the USA. But had to resort to Home Depot in order to find a tape measure with both metric and imperial measurements.

10. CFFF

CFFF Tele-Holic

YES

11. rolandson

rolandson Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Spouse, a scientist trained in art and raised on metric...and some weird abacus stuff called shaku-kan (trust me, you really don't want to know)...in Tokyo, tries to cook. Despite having measuring capabilities in both systems, including a triple beam balance in our kitchen...

It's usually a disaster.

She made a brick once. It was supposed to be baguette.

Owenmoney and Obsessed like this.
  12. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

As others have noted, the challenge is for things that are highly intuitive, at least for the older generations. I can imagine how cold I'm going to be if I'm told it's
    35 degrees, 67 degrees, or 100 degrees. In Celsius I have no clue and for the rest of my life I would probably need to mentally convert. I know exactly how long
    it will take me to drive 60 miles. The conversion to km is easy, so I know that 100km is about the same, but I'll still end up converting in my head. Same for
    acres and feet/yards. Same for weight. I can imagine picking up up 25 or 45 or 100 lbs. I would have to convert quickly in my head to know what I was in for if
    someone told me to pick up 50 kilos (multiply by 2 and add 10% to get 110 lbs). When cooking it's very easy for me to think in terms of cups, table spoons, and tea spoons.

There are a lot of industries where people similarly are used to measuring things with a certain scale and it would be difficult for them to learn a new system, but
    certainly not impossible (though they would probably continue to mentally convert). Lumber folks would still think in board-feet. Fishermen would still think in
    feet and fathoms, foresters would think in terms of diameter-at-breast-height (feet), etc. For long haul truckers fortunately a North American ton (2000# or
    907kg and a metric ton (1000kg) are very close.

For kids growing up, it would be easy enough to learn metric from the get-go. Us old codgers would just have to deal with it.

One advantage of the old English system is that measures were often based on the number 12. This is evenly divisible by 2, 3, and 4. This makes it easier to divvy things
    up without getting stuck with lots of decimal places. Also, they were often based on human-based things. A foot was about the length of a man's foot. An acre was the amount
    of land that could typically be plowed by a yoke of oxen in one day.

My understanding was that Fahrenheit was originally trying to make it so 100 degrees would be the temperature of
    human blood while the lower defining point, 0 ℉, was established as the freezing temperature of a solution of brine made from equal parts of ice, water and a salt (ammonium chloride).
    I have no idea why he went with brine as a foundational reference. But in his day he ended up with human body temperature coming out to 96. Then when they changed the scale to
    have freezing temp exactly 32 and boiling temp exactly 212, body temperature came out to 98.6.

Rather than try to have a hard gov't mandate I think the more likely scenario is things will continue to evolve. With globalization more and more things will tend towards
    a metric, international standard. For a long time we will be like the U.K. and Canada, where we will continue to see both systems in use, often side by side.

13. jhundt

jhundt Doctor of Teleocity

oh no - there is no fraud. The measurements are so clear and so easily intelligible that the public is well aware of what is going on. The fact that the people are sheepish enough to accept these changes is something to wonder about - but it is certainly not fraud!

14. Flakey

Flakey Friend of Leo's

And a paperless society, don't forget that.

Obsessed likes this.
  15. jhundt

you are, of course, correct! And I DO use those sites quite a bit when searching for recipes. But when I am looking for barbecue and the like, I need to look at those USA sites! Only remember -cut the sugar quantity to 1/4, and leave the salt out.

16. jhundt

your brother is even crazier than I am! Please tell him that I admire him.

ale.istotle likes this.
  17. 2 Headed Goat

2 Headed Goat Friend of Leo's

Wasn't this also the time period were "new math" was introduced??

Owenmoney likes this.
  18. rocking rooster

rocking rooster Tele-Holic

Nail hit squarely on head! We zigzag between the 2 systems depending on what we want to describe.
    "The turning's 200 yards on the left."
    "There's only 3 or 4 mm clearence."

My kids are in their 30's and were only taught metric things at school.

Norris Vulcan and aging_rocker like this.
  19. Flakey

Flakey Friend of Leo's

The Stone Cutters got their way.

Obsessed likes this.
  20. ponce

ponce Tele-Holic

I need at least 1km of 100$ bills right now.

24 track likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.