Would you approve the US joining the metric system? (meters, celsius, etc..)

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by homesick345, Oct 1, 2019.

1. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

Did I miss a memo?.....did Hell actually freeze over?

PlainAllman and Shuster like this.
  2. Shuster

Shuster Poster Extraordinaire

Texas would never be the same,,,o_O fashion-metric_system-cowboy_hats-rancher-liter-litre-tmcn4967_low.jpg

Owenmoney, Tonetele, wtk0315 and 5 others like this.
  3. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Being an engineer I have used both. What I do like about the system of inches, feet etc is it's far better for visualization.

a 25.5" scale is readily visualized in your head.
    How about 647.2 mm? 64 cm?

or
    "Hand me that 10" butcher knife"
    vs
    "hand me that 254 mm butcher knife"

Maybe the biggest problem is that those promoting the Metric system seem to rarely use the Decimeter. People like feet and inches because they can relate to those. (see above)
    (I was looking at pickup adaptor rings the other day and the dimensions were like 91 mm etc. Can't relate to that at all.)
    A Decimeter is 3.9" more or less. If we used that enough maybe we could start visualizing better.
    Looking at engineering drawings and seeing 1257.8 mm on a dimension just means nothing to a person.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2019
  4. ricardo1912

ricardo1912 Tele-Afflicted

Here in the UK we are technically metric but it's a real mix with Imperial. So we buy milk or water and petrol in litres but beer in pints. Still use mph for road speeds but newscasters flit between miles and km for distance. Schools teach cm but most kids will still tell you their height or weight in old measures.

Oddly enough the crazy cocktail of measurements seems to work pretty well.

rghill, wtk0315, aging_rocker and 4 others like this.
  5. Shuster

Shuster Poster Extraordinaire

September-01-2011-14-28-11-DmUpL.jpg

6. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Definitely :lol:

Kidding aside I still remember trying to adapt to the STUPID US system :D when I moved to NY in the mid eighties and KRINGE.

7. Stefanovich

Stefanovich Tele-Holic

Same with Canada. As an earlier poster said, all construction is done in imperial (studs are 16 inches on center, sheet goods are sold as 4' x 8' sheets, fasteners are in inches etc.) but other stuff is in metric. Somehow we muddle through it all. When I was a science teacher I only used the metric system in class. I thought teaching rods, furlongs, stones, and pennyweights would be a bit much for my students...

8. The Angle

The Angle Tele-Holic

Absolutely yes.

As a few others have noted, it's infuriating when working on guitars, or cars, or anything else, having to constantly ask "where was this made?" so you know which box of tools to reach for. The US isn't gaining anything by being a measurement renegade.

PeterUK and Obsessed like this.
  9. unixfish

unixfish Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I wrote to my congressman in grade school asking to switch. That was probably, oh, 1973? It never happened.

[Deity] forbid we do something that makes sense.

Obsessed likes this.
  10. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

Looking at it rationally, all humans are capable of learning. None of us were born knowing anything. Ten years of highway signs in metric and imperial and we’ll all know distance and speed. 10 years of buying meat by the kilogram and we’ll know weight. The same goes for TV weather reports. It’s not hard and in the end it simplifies every day living. Tools? I can tell a 2mm from a 2.5mm from a 3mm Allen wrench all the way up to 8mm by sight. I could never do that with imperial wrenches. What’s a 5/16 supposed to look like?

My wife and I do just fine in France and Texas, two foreign countries to us. Does it really matter if you get your coffee in a 12 oz. or 330ml cup? What’s maddening is the use of mixed systems. CBD oil sold in 300mg/oz dropper bottles? What’s that about? :eek: Especially dispensed using a 1ml dropper that never fills all the way. :D

Alamo likes this.
  11. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Friend of Leo's

Every map I was ever issued while serving in the U.S. Army was metric, but every vehicle's odometer only measured miles. That always pissed me off; I'd have to convert km to miles every time I needed to tell my driver how far to go.

But to answer the question: Yeah, I got used to the metric system in science classes when I was young, so I'd accept the change.

12. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I really don't care one way or the other.
    I think in terms of 16ths/ 64ths etc, .0625/ .0156 etc but have to do some math to convert smaller than 1/16th.
    I also think in terms of 25.4mm/ inch but have to do some math in smaller numbers there as well.
    Camera lenses are metric from foreign makers and use inches from US makers, but we don't really have US made consumer lenses any more. I have a lot of old lenses though, and some were made after the war when fine German lens makers got nabbed for US use so we have some lenses marked in both inches and mm/ cm.
    Funny that we also used to get 10.5 cm/ 5.8cm rather than 105mm/ 58mm etc.

Pick one you like and use it, same end result...

13. Torren61

Torren61 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I would absolutely support a full conversion to the metric system. I would also like to start writing the date the CORRECT way like the rest of the world does. Today, in the US, is 10.01.2019. Month, day and year. WHY? Why don't we write it like this: 01.10.2019? Day, month and year. I have to admit, we DID get driving on the right side of the street correct. Are you listening AU, UK and JP?

14. Stubee

Stubee Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

I’m fairly well versed in both and it would certainly make sense. I have machines with both SAE and metric bolts or nuts on them and it’s maddening at times.

I can’t see it ever taking in the USA. I know many people who don’t understand even basic weights and measures in our current system and getting them to learn something “new and foreign”—however logical—was already proven to be pretty much impossible.

15. fretWalkr

fretWalkr Tele-Meister

It failed to take hold in the 70s/80s because it was made into a political issue. But the US does use the metric measurements in healthcare where it is super critical. Check your pill model the next time you refill your meds.

It sure would make dealing with guitars easier. I still have to think about which is larger, a neck width of 1 and 11/16ths compared to a 1 and 3/4 inch neck. The metric equivalents are self evident.

16. Norris Vulcan

Norris Vulcan Tele-Holic

Well, the UK and US Imperial measures are slightly different.
    And here in the UK we are pretty good with metric although most people use miles for distance - pretty rare for someone to say "15km on the left".
    So I guess people choose the bits that suit them, and keep the old ones that are hard to give up.
    I like metric, it's logical and simple. 1g=1ml, etc. Cooking, as someone already mentioned, is way easier than sorting your teaspoons/tablespoons.

No-ones messing with decibels yet :)

Alamo and Obsessed like this.
  17. neilshane

neilshane Tele-Meister

In a word, yes. I would completely be on board with metric!

18. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

B9516777-7C8D-4BB9-83C6-19EB9C11940C.jpeg Just for fun here’s a couple of old lenses in the standard focal length for an 8x10 view camera. The Verito is only “11 1/2”” and also lacks the coverage for 8x10 but I threw it in because it is a beautiful and desirable lens (as is the Dagon) the likes of which is no longer made.
    The Goerz Dagor is one of the German restitution settlements. On the shutter it says :Goerz New York and also made in Germany.
    Before Germany fell all Goerz lenses were marked in cm where now metric lens numbers are shown in mm.
    Interestingly Kodak made some of the worlds finest lenses back when the US was a cutting edge manufacturer.

19. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I stopped reading there because that is the single, most inaccurate, sentence I have read in my life. Sure babies learn to speak, but once you reach a CERTAIN AGE, you actively resist all additional learning. It's nothing personal, metric system, it's just that all change is bad.

Owenmoney and Obsessed like this.
  20. spellcaster

spellcaster Tele-Holic

Manufacturers will take advantage of any conversion in measurements to reduce product sizes, sold at higher prices, hoping that consumers won't notice.

Owenmoney likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.