Would you approve the US joining the metric system? (meters, celsius, etc..)

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by homesick345, Oct 1, 2019.

1. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

Temperature to me is a great example of why we should go metric. 0° is the freezing point of water. What could possibly make more sense?

Gaz_, faulp, black_doug and 4 others like this.
  2. drumtime

drumtime Tele-Meister

People shot the signs full of holes.

3. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

Oh, and if I may rant for a moment:
    Because we are such a holdout around the world, I have to use both metric and inch tools to work on a modern U.S. car. This is so agrivating to me. I have my inch tools for my old U.S. car and my metric for my German car phase in life, but if I have to do something on my wife's newer U.S. car, I have no friggin' idea what any bolt on the car is. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

4. ale.istotle

ale.istotle Tele-Meister

Yes please. Bring all the metric/decimal-based systems the world uses. We already use metric hardware for almost everything newer than 1980 - all my auto, small engine, bicycle and electronic stuff.

I buy wine and liquor in 750 ml. Beer, soft drinks and dairy in English units, though some imports are 1/3 liter (11.2 oz).

I can handle km, km/h, buying fuel and milk in liters, etc.

The US will be stuck with English units as Canada is, for building materials because houses don't obsolete - a 2400 mm stud will not work in an 8' wall.

jhundt likes this.
  5. jhundt

jhundt Doctor of Teleocity

I have been living it since I moved from the USA to the EU in 2000. It is pretty easy to understand, so I would support the change. But I still use a Pyrex measuring cup with American markings, because if I search for recipes (in English) all the recipes use that system.

Owenmoney and nojazzhere like this.
  6. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

Yes. Doing software conversion work to accomplish this will help keep me employed until I retire in about 12 to 15 years.

7. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Part of the price you pay for living firmly ensconced in the past! :lol:

nojazzhere likes this.
  8. hotpot

hotpot Tele-Afflicted

I was brought up with the imperial system & left school before the metric & decimalization system was adopted in the UK around 1970/1.

A lot of my generation still use imperial whereas the younger prefer metric.
    I still use imperial for height & weight. 6'2" not 188cm, 15 stone 3lb not 96.62kg
    As an example I was refurbishing my garage workbench & rang the local timber yard to ask if they had any 8'x4'x3/8" plyboard sheets and the guy replied ........just a minute Sir I'll ring the 1960's to see if they have any left :D

stevemc, Owenmoney, PeterUK and 7 others like this.
  9. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

I'm allllllll for it, just put it off a bit longer until I'm croaked, and I won't complain at all!

10. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

We kind of did... I have a car made in the US that uses metric for example. I know that's not true for all of them but which ones?

House stuff is english but not a whole lot more. Toys, Bicycles, etc.. all that stuff around our house tends to be metric.

I think Temperature is a great one in Metric, it makes actual sense like many other areas of the metric system.

0 - Water freezes
    100 - Water boils

Water is pretty much the most important & unique compound for life on earth and other parts of the system are based on it too.

Density of water is defined as 1.0 in metric. 1g of water occupies 1mL of volume in common conditions on earth.

Honestly to me the best thing that could go metric would be cooking. That is one area we seem to be 100% English/Imperial and don't even generally have stuff like metric measuring spoons in our house. And English/Imperial measurements of volume are batsh*t crazy IMO. They make no sense. (Same with length generally.) I think it'd make a lot of cooking a lot easier for a lot of people.

Finally why on earth are we using English/Imperial system.. we threw off those shackles over 200 years ago.

I fully admit Time keeping is a hot mess. We're not solving that very easily. Good god that one is a major PITA as a software engineer!

I was born in 1977. All science in high school was metric. The only thing ever done with english was shop class in junior high. Same thing in college, absolutely no use of English to be found.

Obsessed likes this.
  11. Controller

Controller Friend of Leo's

We did join the metric system. Those that need it are already using it. Those that don't need it are doing just fine.

Owenmoney, fjblair, PeterUK and 4 others like this.
  12. tlsmack

tlsmack Tele-Afflicted

I grade school, teachers told us that metric would replace Imperial system so we had better pay attention. They also said soccer would replace baseball and football.

13. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Ad Free Member

Would I have to get rid of my screwdriver set and get a phillips set in foreign metric.

JuneauMike, dannyh and nojazzhere like this.
  14. jhundt

jhundt Doctor of Teleocity

ha ha! when I moved here, in 2000, the standard beer bottle was indeed 33 cl, or as you say, 1/3 liter. There was a 10 cent deposit on each bottle. One day I noticed that ALL the Dutch beer bottles had switched to 30 cl. A 10% loss, though the prices remained the same, and the 10 cent deposit remained. Lately they have been promoting all kinds of beer with non-refundable bottles that you can just throw away! Excellent! No more deposit!! Only the bottles are now 25 cl, which isn't even enough for a grown man to wet his whistle!

I go to a grocery store that sells German beer, in 33 cl glass bottles with the 10 cent deposit, in crates of 24 bottles for 7.99. That is 33 cents per bottle. I love how that magic number keeps showing up! They are also frequently on sale for less. And the German beer is far superior to the cheap Dutch beer available at a similar price.

LutherBurger and nojazzhere like this.
  15. Recce

Recce Friend of Leo's

I was changing the battery on my Chevrolet Avalanche. There is a bracket that goes over it you have to remove and another bracket on the side of the battery that needs to come out to get the battery out. The bolts on the brackets were 13mm. The bolts on the battery cables and battery tie down were 10mm. Metric is starting to take over. My truck is a 2013. Yes, I think I can find Standard on it also. I have both Metric and Standard sockets and wrenches.

16. dkmw

dkmw Friend of Leo's

33 cents per German beer sounds like heaven to me:)

I’m all for the switch to metric. And like @Obsessed, I enjoy being able to take an entire German car apart with one 10mm wrench.

Obsessed likes this.
  17. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

It all seems good until you notice the quarter pounders getting smaller etc.

18. FenderLover

FenderLover Friend of Leo's

I guess I'd be against the expense of printing a billion new speed limit signs, etc. Neither system is hard to understand, so leave it alone. There's no end to what could be next on that list of requests if we start going down that path of social conformity.

19. raysachs

raysachs Friend of Leo's

Yeah, I agree, zero as a freezing point makes sense, but then somewhere in the 40's or 50's you're beyond the toast threshold - seems kind of arbitrary. Using fahrenheit, both zero and 100 are getting into very uncomfortable territory, alerting the human that he or she is getting toward the edges of what's survivable. That makes a lot of sense to me as an easily remembered set of extremes that won't quite kill you unless you're totally unprepared. So far I've lived 60 years with the only confusion coming when I had to convert to celsius before the days of iPhones with conversion apps. I fear celsius or, particularly, kelvin coulda got me killed by now...

-Ray

Owenmoney and Obsessed like this.
  20. Rick330man

Rick330man Tele-Afflicted

Just as I suspected...the metric system is ripe with fraud!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.