Would you approve the US joining the metric system? (meters, celsius, etc..)

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by homesick345, Oct 1, 2019.

1. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

OK, that settles it.

No metric.

No Imperial.

Henceforth, I will only recognize dimensions based on Telecaster-units. :lol:

2. moosie

How long is that board? Oh, about 1.5 Telecasters, give or take half a neck pocket...

aging_rocker likes this.
  3. ale.istotle

ale.istotle Tele-Meister

and the unit of mass will be 1 Telecaster with the standard fabricated from swamp ash and stored in a hardshell case in fullerton, ca.

moosie and aging_rocker like this.
  4. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Friend of Leo's

Whitworth!

5. PlainAllman

PlainAllman Tele-Holic

Uh ok. When was that, about 5 years ago?

6. Norris Vulcan

Norris Vulcan Tele-Holic

I thought the big advantage of the Metric system wasn't making the calculations easier, but standardization.

All those European countries with their own systems of weight, measures and currency while trading with each other. It needed a standard that was easy to use across borders.
    And when you're starting over again, 10 seems a pretty good base number for the new measures. Seems to have caught on.

7. Boubou

Boubou Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

Being a scientist I strongly disagree.
    Metric makes more sense, 1 milliliter of water is one cubic centimeter of water and one gram of water, and the energy unit which I forget is what’s required to make one militer of water increase temperature by 1 degree Celsius , what am I Forgetting?

8. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

Joules?...

9. moosie

Lost your butler?

10. trev333

nah, I just bang the gong..:lol:

moosie likes this.
  11. jrblue

jrblue Tele-Afflicted

It's obviously a very easy system to grasp once you accept it, but since our schools are in the toilet and we have a generation of both parents and their children who are woefully uneducated and in many cases uneducable, we can't make this simple switch because it's beyond us. Too many fat, lazy, complacent, and dumb folks. Seriously. Thinkin' makes muh head hurt. Dividin'? I aint done no dividin' since junior high and I couldn't get the hang of it then. A meter's just some off-brand French kind of messed up yard anyway.

12. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

It is metric here and we lost a whole motor vehicle building industry. That and other factors.
    On an engineering side, the two systems were tried to be married in engine construction. You just can't do that.
    I am old enough to have grown up with the Imperial system and saw metric come in when I was in my twenties. To be honest I prefer the Imperial system of measurement. I believe it's more adept to be accurate particularly in minute measurements and parts can be designed to fit better.

Obsessed likes this.
  13. trev333

Most of my "evenly marked sticks" have both common systems on them...

I use whatever side of them I happen to be looking at.... the materials don't care what system they are measured in....

the whole Imperial/Metric thing is ...whatever :rolleyes:....to me...:twisted:

DSCN2467.JPG

notmyusualuserid likes this.
  14. kingofdogs1950

kingofdogs1950 Tele-Holic

I think some may have overlooked a manly opportunity to buy more tools.
    Think of the tools needed to work on imperial, metric and Whitworth.
    Woo-hoo!
    The Snapon truck will be here on Thursday.

King

ale.istotle and GoKart Mozart like this.
  15. PlainAllman

PlainAllman Tele-Holic

The real question isn’t when will the US begin using the metric system? That has already happened long ago. We’ve been using a dual system for as long as I can remember going back several decades. The rest of the world wants us to quit using Imperial but it’s unnecessary to do so and it drives them nuts to be unable to force it.

16. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

Haa, that reminds me of a fiasco I was involved in during the early 80s. We were directed to design in metric. I was good at it from dinking on German cars for years. Other engineers were not. Anyway, we deliver our designs to a plastic molding tool house. They converted all of our designs back to imperial and then apply their shrinkage factors in for cutting the tooling. The tolerancing became a total mess to sort out from losing or gaining on dimensions as they were rounded off during the conversion.

Okay, I guess I can laugh at it 35 years later.:rolleyes:

17. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

To illustrate a simple point. The hole size for Gotoh and other tuners is said to be 10mm and bushings are needed at 10mm. It's actually 25/64" ( I have that exact drill bit). That actually equates to 9.92 mm. A small error but no need for bushings if the tuners were bigger or 9mm. with 1mm bushing width. Hmmnn??o_O

18. telestratosonic

telestratosonic Tele-Afflicted

Hey, USA, don't go metric.

Canada went metric in the 80s. As a carpenter back then and working at a hospital construction job, I recall that the drawings were metric. We were cutting 3/4" off 8' sheets of 4'x8' plywood to make them metric in some cases. Wasted time and materials.

But guess what? 4'x8' sheets of plywood never did switch to metric. 2x4s are still 2x4s. Canada is a big exporter of lumber and plywood to the US. It would have been lunacy for sawmills and plywood manufacturers to have machinery for metric and another set for imperial.

But at oil refinery construction projects/turnarounds in Saskatchewan and Alberta, everything is still in imperial.

Quarts of milk became litres of milk, etc. That meant smaller cartons. But guess what? The prices didn't go down.

19. Boubou

Boubou Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

A quart is smaller than a litre, just saying.
    I always have to google what’s a quart and what’s a pint, a pint in French is a quart and then you have the midget US gallons vs imperial gallons, don’t forget the winch.

telemnemonics likes this.
  20. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

think of all the tourism revenue that would be lost if everywhere you went was just like where you came from?

But, winches are the same everywhere...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.