Would you approve the US joining the metric system? (meters, celsius, etc..)

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by homesick345, Oct 1, 2019.

1. Davecam48

Davecam48 Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Here in OZ we changed our Imperial currency for decimal about 1966 and then followed metric measurement which is a whole ship load easier to work with than the imperial. The USA has a metric monetary system but your fractions of inches drives me crazy. You are already half way there...........Get on with it!!!

Water freezes @ 0 degrees C. and boils @ 100 C ..........easy peazy!!!! Using millimeters is also easy and anything less than a half millimeter is officially known as a "Poofteenth!" and makes no difference to the overall scheme of things anyway!

DC

Alamo likes this.
  2. Norris Vulcan

Norris Vulcan Tele-Holic

Ha! Yes, I know what you mean...I never bothered with the ancient details of AF and Imperial and went with Metric.
    So I don't know about those weird sizes/numbering.

telemnemonics likes this.
  3. GoKart Mozart

GoKart Mozart Tele-Meister

There it is...you have the moon envy. :D

‘Murica.

Owenmoney likes this.
  4. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Ad Free Member

Yes. I work with metric. Every piece of medical packaging or food packaging equipment made uses metric film web widths.

Inches are goofy. 10’s make more sense. I counted my toes when I was 4. I counted my fingers when I was 4. Ive been comfortable with 10’s ever since.

5. PlainAllman

PlainAllman Tele-Holic

Another reason I think there is for the choice not to adopt metric is the arrogance and ignorance of the people who push for it. The rest of the world can’t even get liberty right but they think they can convince us to change to metric. :rolleyes:

JuneauMike and Owenmoney like this.
  6. trapdoor2

trapdoor2 Tele-Afflicted

I never understood why we use base 10. Every time I do the same count, I end up with a total of 21...

Owenmoney, E5RSY and GoKart Mozart like this.
  7. Alamo

Alamo Doctor of Teleocity

This!
    just imagine the public outrage when the metric monetary system should change back to fractions.

Before Decimal Day in 1971 there were two hundred and forty pence in one pound sterling. Twelve pence made a shilling, and twenty shillings made a pound. Values less than a pound were usually written in terms of shillings and pence, e.g. forty-two pence would be three shillings and six pence (3/6), phrased as "three and six". Values of less than a shilling were simply written in terms of pence, e.g. eight pence would be 8d.

:eek::rolleyes:

just my thruppenny bit

Threepence_reverse_1958.png.jpg

or 1/80 pound sterling

kingofdogs1950 likes this.
  8. Bob Womack

Bob Womack Tele-Holic

That is the LAST thing the Founding Fathers wanted. They knew that every fashion that blew through would be forced upon the nation by a tyranny of the popular majority. It would be mob rule.

We live in a constitutional republic. Long may it stand.

Bob

9. bblumentritt

bblumentritt Tele-Afflicted Platinum Supporter

In World War II, the USSR interred five US B-29 crews that had overflown Japan. Officially, it was because the USSR and Japan were not at war at that time, so they claimed neutrality.

They attempted to reverse engineer the B-29 and build their own Soviet Tupolev TU-4.

The B-29 used 1/16" aluminum sheet. The Soviets had no metric equivalent, since 1/16" is 0.159 cm, so they used 2cm aluminum.

Oops.

The end result was that the Soviets had to make severe compromises to the structural integrity of the aircraft because they were trying to exactly copy an airframe. The Tu-4 was “only” 750 pounds heavier than the B-29, but it was vastly less durable than the Boeing because the engineers were not allowed to change the dimensions of the airframe’s structural components.

Owenmoney likes this.
  10. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I don't have time to dig the story up now, but I've read that Henry Ford wanted to own the patent on Robertson screws, and that broke the deal.

[​IMG]

Boubou likes this.
  11. trapdoor2

trapdoor2 Tele-Afflicted

With "d" standing for "Denari", "£" stands for "Libra" a nod to their former oppressors. ;)

Systems and standards are about 'nativity'. Just like a language, you think or fall back on in your native tongue...so it is with systems and standards. I think in "imperial" units because that's what I was raised in. I function in metrics because I have had to use them.

I doubt the US will go totally metric for a few more generations. Heck, I had to review an engineering drawing a few weeks ago that was in fractions. It was drawn 6 months before the US involvement in WWII!

I'll keep my Whitworth tools. Who knows when that Ariel Square Four or Norton will appear in my driveway? BTW, Whitworth markings do not (as somebody said somewhere in this thread) reflect the measurement across the points of the hex. BSF and W spanner markings are the diameter of the bolt it is to be used upon (rather than the distance across the flats of the hex of the nut or bolt head). Unfortunately, there was no standardization at the time and there are oddities where differently marked spanners may fit the same nut or bolt (and vice versa).

12. E5RSY

E5RSY Poster Extraordinaire

Not sure if it's true, or not, but I've also read that in typical Soviet single-minded fashion they even put "Boeing" on the Tu-4's yoke hub covers. :confused:

13. E5RSY

E5RSY Poster Extraordinaire

Thought you looked familiar...

[​IMG]

Verne Bunsen and studio1087 like this.
  14. intensely calm

intensely calm Tele-Meister

Yes, sign me up. I like the met system!
    Unfortunately have to use both systems (eye twitch).

Whenever (if ever) such a change would officially take place, there would be a few decades of resistance... which would eventually die off.

I hate working on a vehicle that has a mixture of standard and metric fasteners.... ugh

Just take the leap already.

15. notmyusualuserid

notmyusualuserid Friend of Leo's

America isn't quite 250 years old. The UK has been using the Imperial system since the Middle Ages. We cope with metrication (mostly by ignoring it in daily life unless it suits us), I'm sure you'd manage to get used to it.

Besides, your currency's already decimal. How many cents in a dollar? :)

16. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I've read this sort of response over and over in this thread and it's just plain wrong. Please try the trick of putting yourself in the other person's shoes. Do you really think people who use the metric system (ie, the rest of the world) are frustrated by Celcius? You are assuming the system you are more familiar with is better because ... you are more familiar with it.

1. I, for one, care when water freezes. It's important to a good day skiing versus slop!

2. Apart from that, the difference between the scales is that the Celsius degree is about twice the size of the Fahrenheit degree. I find the Celsius degree more human friendly, not less. The different between 86F and 87F is too slight to note.

3. Here is your handy human scale for Celsius degrees, brought to you by a Canuck ;)

-20C : too cold to ski
    -10C : skiing weather
    0C : water freezes
    10C : hoodie weather
    20C : shirt sleeve weather
    30C : hot
    40C : too damn hot

There! Human friendly!

Last edited: Oct 2, 2019
    Alamo likes this.
  17. notmyusualuserid

notmyusualuserid Friend of Leo's

Google John Wilkins :)

18. Teletubbie

Teletubbie TDPRI Member

Not read all 230 or so posts so this may have been covered.
    A sheet of ply in the UK is 8' x 4' x 9mm
    Unless you need 18mm ply:)

aging_rocker and kingofdogs1950 like this.
  19. Verne Bunsen

Verne Bunsen Tele-Afflicted

20. PlainAllman

PlainAllman Tele-Holic

Personally I really don’t care. I have as many metric tools as SAE. I work back and forth between the two on a daily basis. I just think it’s funny the crying about it and how ridiculous the arguments are about changing something that isn’t going to happen in our lifetime if ever.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.