Would this be a good time for a cruise?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Toto'sDad, Feb 14, 2013.

1. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I think Neal and Del were on that bus.

2. Bryan

Bryan Tele-Holic

I just watched that movie on Netflix the other night, classic.

3. burtonfan

burtonfan Tele-Afflicted

I'd bet the "free cruise" voucher the passengers are supposed to receive start showing up on ebay! Cruise cheap on the SS Outhouse!!!

4. don71

don71 Tele-Afflicted

Thats just sick, but funny :D I'm glad I wasn't there.

I've been on one cruise with Mrs.71 and though it was nice to enjoy paridise, we won't be going back any time soon.

But, I must say if a cruise is on your bucket list then go. Life is short.

5. voodoostation

voodoostation Friend of Leo's

Every cruise I went on I was paid to go on. A couple went on a little longer than I liked, but the ports of call were nice.

6. teleamp

teleamp Poster Extraordinaire

Yeah, but they all happened in the past two years.

No cruises for me, no way, stuck on a tourist attraction with a bunch of other tourist does not sound like fun.

7. idjster

idjster VERY grateful member Silver Supporter

This. Being treated like royalty on the boat itself doesn't do much for me. It's the ports of call and the sights that are there that interest me. My wife and I are museum and gallery people, so the cruise part would just be wasted on us.

8. jc93230

jc93230 Tele-Holic

7 cruises, with one incident of gastroenteritis. My family loves cruises, I see no reason to stop.

9. JDC

JDC Tele-Holic

Ever heard of the noro virus?

From AARP.org

So what is it with this virus and cruise ships?
    Unfortunately, cruise ships get all the publicity when the stomach bug hits because the cruises lines are required to report outbreaks to the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, which then has the ships undergo a “vessel sanitation program” — an effective scrubbing that helps prevent and control the spread of any further illness.

But noroviruses, which can cause vomiting, diarrhea,* stomach cramps and sometimes a low fever, are liable to show up wherever large numbers of people are in close quarters. As the*CDC explains, “outbreaks occur more often where there are more people in a small area, such as nursing homes, restaurants, catered events, and cruise ships.”

In fact, last month a new*study*found that the norovirus was the leading cause of infection outbreaks in U.S. hospitals.

Nearly one-third of the outbreaks occurred in facilities that included rehabilitation units, long-term acute care hospitals, psychiatric/behavioral health units, and skilled nursing facilities. Unlike the cruise ships, however, only half of these outbreaks were reported to an outside agency, like the state health department.

10. emu!

emu! Poster Extraordinaire

Maybe I'm just an unsophisticated country hick. But...

What's the big deal about pooping and peeing in the ocean? I mean, get a bucket, do your thing, and dump it in the water below. We do this all the time when fishing on the lake.

No way to take a shower? Get some ocean water in a bucket, fill up the bathtub, and wash your body with soap. That's what they do on that survivor show.

No hot food? Eat healthy vegetables and fruit. They could be delivered by another boat fairly easy.

And, why can't another big boat just pull up beside the broken boat...lay down a ramp or use a helicopter...and get everybody to change ship mid ocean?

:confused:

11. jc93230

jc93230 Tele-Holic

Yep, and if you have ever had a "Stomach Flu" at home you also most likely encountered the norovirus. It a very common and thankfully isnt a particularly nasty virus.But it does spread easy in groups. A lot of families, bands, etc chalk it up to food poisoning, but most of the time it is noro.

12. teleamp

Not provided due to reasons stated in the small print on the contract each passenger signed before the cruise.

13. Teletubbi

Teletubbi Tele-Holic

If you think it was crappy being a passenger in that deal, imagine having to work there and listen to bitching 24/7. Ever wonder where all the staff lives? Hint, they dont have balcony suites. More like the slave galley next to the boiler room in the bowels of the ship.

My 2 experiences with Carnival, 1998 Bahamas, 2004 Mexican Riviera, tells me the Carnival folks were head over heels trying to do the best possible thing for passengers during very difficult circumstance.

Those two experiences were mainly to be with wife. I said ok, thats enough of that. I think I gained at least 15lbs on each cruise. Kinda like taking kids to amusement parks. Been there, done that attitude now.

Other than customer service, Carnival is skilled at maximizing your opportunity to spend money indozens of ways literally 24 hr day. That is including an automatic 15% service gratuity if you dont notice the check off on the bill the last day of cruise. We preferred to name our own tips although service deserved all of 15%

14. goldtopper

goldtopper Friend of Leo's

Welcome to the service industry!

15. teleamp

Now would be a great time for a cruise, prices will be down because of this.

16. Deeve

Deeve Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

17. telebuc

telebuc Tele-Meister

Book on NCL, you won't have any worries. If you want to go Carnival - you're on your own...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.