Would this b a good clean amp?

Minister of twang

NEW MEMBER!
Tweed Princeton. Single ended 6l6, handwired, hand built cabin. Equiped with an Eminence Reignmaker, which has a magnet attenuator - it works like a master volume giving you about 10db of range. Perfect for the stage and then home use. I hand built the cabinet very similar like fender used to- solid pine, thin floating baffle, lightweight! The only difference is, it runs off a vintage German 6L6, and an Octal preamp tube (and 12ax7). Both halves of each preamp tube are tied together,

arlum

Friend of Leo's
Platinum Supporter
I, personally, would never think of a Tweed as a "clean" amp. They all have a breakup of one type or another. Fender's "clean" tone arrived with the Blackface models. Don't get me wrong. Some of my most favored amps are Fender Tweeds. Just not for clean.

sammy123

Tele-Meister
If you like the tweed sound, but need clean one of the bigger models might make more sense. Like the Pro, Bassman, Super, Bandmaster. I have the Super, Deluxe, and my buddy has the Princeton. Only the Super can do louder clean. Not sure how a 6L6 Tweed Princeton would behave, but I suspect it still could not do loud clean, i.e. over a drummer. Just my opinion though.

schmee

Telefied
Silver Supporter
I'm in the "not clean' camp also.
A tweed Harvard is a clean little amp though, push pull two 6V6.

wrathfuldeity

Friend of Leo's
I have kind of similar, a tweedy se6L6 circa 1950's recordplayer conversion but with 6av6/6au6 pre amp tubes. I would not call it clean, but at 2-3 on the volume knob, it has the sweetest bell like cleans. It's great for home and perhaps for recording. But for playing out for anything more that a little porch jam, its not going to hang clean. At 3-4 there is a nice od and at 7-8 there is a great grind...but volume level depends on the spkr size and efficiency.

DSCF9693.JPG

Joefish

Tele-Afflicted
Tweed Princeton. Single ended 6l6, handwired, hand built cabin. Equiped with an Eminence Reignmaker, which has a magnet attenuator - it works like a master volume giving you about 10db of range. Perfect for the stage and then home use. I hand built the cabinet very similar like fender used to- solid pine, thin floating baffle, lightweight! The only difference is, it runs off a vintage German 6L6, and an Octal preamp tube (and 12ax7). Both halves of each preamp tube are tied together,
... more importantly, welcome to TDPRI

Wally

Telefied
Ad Free Member

The tweed Princeton’s a 5 watt amp. Is this amp of yours a Fender amp or a build? What transformers does it run? If you built it and used bigger transformers, then with that 6L6 it might make 8-10 watts. It stil” will not be clean if one starts looking for volume. You may have made the preamp a bit hotter by tying triodes together, and therefore the signal might be less clean than a stock 5F2 before it gets to the power tube???
if you use the amp on stage, I am thinking you have a low volume situation or you are miking the amp???.
Fyi, yes, that Reaigmaker can lower the volume. However, it does not work like a master volume. The master volume will sit in the circuit somewhere prior to the output section. An attenuator or this adjustable efficiency speaker lowers the volume after the output and therefore allows one to adjust the signal of the entire amp.
it sounds like a nice amp. In most cases, it would need to be miked or re-amped through another power amp or the P.A., imho, if one wanted loud cleans.

printer2

Poster Extraordinaire
It all depends on the stage volume. Will it be mic'ed? The Reignmaker is efficient, 100 dB, it will make up for the difference as compared to a Deluxe or Vibrolux of the same era pushing a 94 dB speaker that might have come with either amp. Think a P12R was 94 dB. So 6 dB, say the 6L6 puts out 8W, double that for 3 dB and you have the difference between the Champ on steroids and a stock Deluxe. But that assumes you build it to get the most out of the 6L6 with enough voltage and an output transformer that loads it properly as well as having the wattage rating.

Back at it

Tele-Meister
At home at low volume it’s lovely clean… anytwist of volume brings less and less clean but lovely drive