Would this annoy you?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by TheTele123, Oct 8, 2021.

1. Peegoo

Peegoo Doctor of Teleocity

Meh, it's a guitar.

It's not your Corvette at Freemont Chevrolet.

That was THIS guy's:

That Cal Webway likes this.
  2. MTPoteet

MTPoteet Tele-Meister

Show us the video.

3. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

All issues need to be duplicated in order to repair them. I would never simply take a client's word on what a problem is unless we had a previous longstanding relationship where we have proven to each other that we know what we're talking about. This seems to be a brand new relationship. I don't know the purpose of his video, but is it possible that he was doing just that very thing & decided to record it?

4. Old Deaf Roadie

It has everything to do with the original post as you would have never known anything about it had you not seen the video. The end result in @teleman1 post was a marked improvement in playability with a little dirt on the strings. Sometimes the journey isn't as important as arriving at the desired destination. I am left wondering if he simply recorded himself playing your guitar better than you can and you're just bent out of shape over it.

5. 421JAM

421JAM Tele-Holic

If I were a luthier, I would definitely play all the cool guitars that came through the door. Who wouldn’t?

It’s not like he was a mechanic and he used you car to commit a crime.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2021
    MilwMark likes this.
  6. That Cal Webway

That Cal Webway Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Say wha?? Jealous of the guy's playing...

I don't care for journey, but don't stop believing!!

7. TheTele123

TheTele123 TDPRI Member

The issue is a slightly muted/dead g string, and the nut needs some work. When I dropped the guitar off to him, he checked and said it would be an easy fix. There's no "duplicating issues" needed here, it's not a car that has a rattle above 60mph. He was playing classic rock riffs with distortion, not demonstrating the issue on the guitar.

Now this is hilarious, he's significantly worse than me. That couldn't be any further from the truth.

And I haven't even got the guitar back, so I don't know what his work is even like yet.

8. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

When I take in a guitar to work on I most certainly play it!
    Have to play it a little to get a sense of ALL the issues, as opposed to what the customer CLAIMS is needed yet cannot fix.
    If I have a smart phone I might even record a before video, which requires 15 seconds to set the phone down and hit record.

Is it a sort of he touched my girl thing?

Or my angel is a centerfold?

What's the problem?

MilwMark likes this.
  9. fasteddie42

fasteddie42 Tele-Afflicted

seems like OP doesn't work on guitars themselves.

FYI

when you work on guitars, it's best to play them too.

I don't even know what to say about the "new strings" thing, dude really?

MilwMark likes this.
  10. TheTele123

TheTele123 TDPRI Member

Seems like some people here have issues with reading comprehension. It's not "guy touched my guitar wtf", it's guy promises to fix guitar in 6-7 days because he says he is too busy supposedly working on other guitars, but the next day after receiving my guitar, he's posting videos on social media with it. He's not showing off his work or a finished product, it's just him playing guitar with someone else's instrument.

OH, and I just noticed he called it "MY" guitar in one of the posts. So yeah...

StevesBoogie and That Cal Webway like this.
  11. 421JAM

421JAM Tele-Holic

Have you called him?

MilwMark likes this.
  12. TheTele123

TheTele123 TDPRI Member

I'm supposed to pick the guitar up tomorrow, but he hasn't contacted me yet. I'll see what happens. I'll be contacting him if I don't hear from him by tomorrow afternoon of course

13. telemnemonics

IDK if the guy noticed something or chooses to check for things like squeal, so it's hard to say why he used dirt with your guitar.

But step back for a moment and look at us here.
    Four pages picking apart a guitar tech/ luthier for getting caught playing a customers guitar.

This is us these days, looking for a reason to be outraged.

The number of complaining threads about non issues has grown in the last couple of years along with folks noticing they don't really like the person they married and can barely tolerate their kids etc etc etc.
    Notice that booze supply became an "essential service"?

We all stressed out!
    Relax, the guy has not been found guilty yet and might still be a good tech to use in the future.
    If he keeps your guitar for six months (common) or makes it worse (common) then get irate and report an actual known problem here.
    Preferably after asking why he still has the guitar or why it now buzzes more etc.

Plenty of complaints about service providers relate to noticing OTHER problems when the customer gets the fixed thing back.
    Guitar techs in particular get irate customers flaming them on line for not being chatty enough or giving free setup lessons while trying to make a living and fix the other customers guitar.

Enjoying the few minutes of trying a customers guitar before or after working on it is reasonable.
    Unless he was eating barbecue while playing it???

Timbresmith1 and Old Deaf Roadie like this.
  14. Wipey

Wipey TDPRI Member

I would say that it's not a big deal, but I will also say, from the description of the video, yeah, I'd be annoyed, unless the guy actually owns an identical guitar.

15. 421JAM

421JAM Tele-Holic

I wouldn’t wait. Go ahead and call to confirm it’ll be ready. He might say it’s ready now. People live busy lives and have to plan out their errands. The weekend is only two days long, so it’s entirely reasonable to check in and try to get your ducks in a row.

16. drumtime

drumtime Tele-Afflicted

"Hey - I saw your video today. I thought the guitar you were playing looked like mine? Does that mean it's ready early, or were you still checking it out?"

MilwMark and telemnemonics like this.
  17. telemnemonics

Well again, IDK details and did not see the video, plus you said it appears to be your guitar.

But are you a guitar tech?
    His procedure might have been to see the nut slot problem, clean up the slot with a nut file or whatever was wrong there that you diagnosed as a player, then plugged it in to look for other problems once the nut was fixed.
    Plugging in, he probably has a board and stepped on a dirt box, not a big deal or harmful to you in any way.

IF, he chose to address the nut before the setup, he could have plugged in and hit record, yet still had to change the strings and check intonation etc. Could have been the end of his work day and then he went home and posted from his couch.
    Are you feeling that he should have called you and told you to pick up the guitar early?
    Are you certain he did the whole setup before the offending video?

Really, there is no clear offense here.
    Except between those of us who are arguing about our rights to feel offended or our feeling offended that others feel offended.

These days I must at times remind myself that when I feel stress, it may not be the fault of anyone else.

18. Old Deaf Roadie

So if you are in a studio, playing a house guitar, and the producer asks you to turn your guitar up or down, do you argue ownership of the guitar? No, because it's the common and accepted thing to refer to the guitar in your hands as "my guitar". Before I walk completely away from this thread, and ignoring the reply you are certain to come up with, I would suggest actually building a couple of guitars before you start complaining about techs. Have a good day.

19. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

So you saw the top portion of part of the guitar and decided it’s yours? Ok then.

And he is still within the timeframe you agreed to. But you are put off that he’s spending any time doing something other than fixing your guitar? Ok then.

FWIW I’ve never seen any of the 3 local shops I haunt as busy with repairs and mods as they are right now. They routinely tell people 10 days to two weeks for just about anything. Where before it would have been a couple days to a week. And they are working full repair days on days off to meet the new extended turnaround.

Good for them I say. I love that small local businesses are in demand. I don’t even begrudge them eating a meal, taking a ****, going for a hike or, gasp, getting some shuteye while I wait for my precious.

Timbresmith1 and Toto'sDad like this.
  20. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I had a buddy who was playing in a band in a bar down in Redondo Beach when his wife came in to check on him. She threw a walleyed fit 'cause she said she seen that hussy ridin' his guitar neck like it was a pony! Now, lemme tell you, if that was true, I'd say that was a serious misuse of a guitar. (but I'd would really liked to have seen it)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.