Would this annoy you?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by TheTele123, Oct 8, 2021.

1. teleman1

teleman1 Friend of Leo's

Ok, what if he didn't do that social media thing and the guitar was exceptional when you got it back. Except for one thing. The 1st & 2nd string had dried "lugie boogers" at the 2nd fret? Would you ask for new strings? Or a moist rag?

2. telekaster1999

telekaster1999 Tele-Afflicted

Probably wouldn't have annoyed me, unless he played Freebird on it.

3. drewg

drewg Tele-Holic

Over at the Country Guitar Doctor, Jake Wildwood plays and records most of the guitars he fixes; calls it the “Museum.” Like this ‘57 Southern Jumbo:
    https://jakewildwood.blogspot.com/2018/04/1957-gibson-southern-jumbo-slope.html?m=1

I sort of understand you that he didn’t ask permission to post it, but playing it is normal for a competent luthier.

Old Deaf Roadie and Timbresmith1 like this.
  4. TheTele123

TheTele123 TDPRI Member

I'm not sure what this has to do with the original post or why you would even ask this

5. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

We try our very best to invoke new thought patterns from our brethren of the dog.

carpenter likes this.
  6. TheTele123

TheTele123 TDPRI Member

Cool, that's also a detailed write up with some cool photos that brings benefit to the owner, and I have no idea if he asked the owner permission or what the timeframes involved were. So I can't see how that's relevant here.

That Cal Webway likes this.
  7. Skydog1010

Skydog1010 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Carolina's (pick one - that's where I'll be) USA
    To directly answer your question -would I be annoyed?

Maybe, a little bit at first. (I'm a really high strung person), but after I cooled off, I wouldn't have given it much thought.

Now the quiz about what I have in my axe arsenal - I would have thrown him body language that begged a reason for his questions - which were probably a precursor for his marketing response(s) on what services he feels he is most qualified to offer you in total.

Just my 2 cents.

8. drewg

drewg Tele-Holic

That’s why I said I sort of understand you.

Vibroluxer likes this.
  9. Skydog1010

Skydog1010 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Carolina's (pick one - that's where I'll be) USA
    That sucks in every way possible. Glad you weren't riding with him.

That Cal Webway likes this.
  10. viking

viking Friend of Leo's

People in the US are so weird sometimes , a good job takes time , so off course they should have my guitar or amp , for several days/weeks or even months......Its just not cool , IMO.
    If my mechanic told me he would have my car ready by sunday , I would tell him that I would bring it back friday or saturday then.......Same with guitar techs.
    That would be my issue with this , being on FB with a guitar that he would get around to finishing 5 days later.......wut ??

StevesBoogie likes this.
  11. TheTele123

TheTele123 TDPRI Member

Who says I'm from the US??

"being on FB with a guitar that he would get around to finishing 5 days later.......wut ??"

yes, exactly

12. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

The answer is simple, do your own repair work, then you can be the guy demonstrating how your guitar sounds after a nut repair on social media.

It's the way a lot of repair businesses find new customers these days.

MTPoteet and greenhornet like this.
  13. Doomguy

Doomguy Tele-Meister

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't be super stoked about it. I don't like it when other people touch my things. But like... Whenever I send my guitar off to a tech for any kind of work, I hope they plays it a little? Hell, I even expect them to. Make sure the thing's working and feels right.

Only difference between your guy and my guy is that your guy films it. If he does good work then why should you care?

14. KATT

KATT Tele-Holic Platinum Supporter

How many hours long was the video clip that he was wasting his time filming?

loopfinding and TokyoPortrait like this.
  15. loopfinding

loopfinding Friend of Leo's

yeah i don't get it. what did he play? strummed around a bit or recorded a spot? did he do it in the shop? was it just "hey, look at what we're working on today"?

besides, i should hope the dude plays it to get a feel and not tries to eyeball it the day or day before it goes out the door (which unfortunately i have seen in the past).

anyway, do people get offended by something like the end of this?:

Last edited: Oct 9, 2021
    KATT likes this.
  16. Vibroluxer

Vibroluxer Tele-Meister

He's playing freebird.

17. naveed211

naveed211 Friend of Leo's

If you had some kind of friendship with him/he’s been your go to luthier for some time, I wouldn’t mind that at all.

If he’s some dude you went to for the first time and he’s slacking off on getting your work done and posting your guitar on social media, that’s not very cool.

TheTele123 and StevesBoogie like this.
  18. KATT

KATT Tele-Holic Platinum Supporter

Twoodfrd does some of my favourite videos on YouTube. I always look forward to watching him at his craft and he even gives a bit of history on the manufacturer. He also plays the instrument once he has fixed it which I also enjoy.

I would be quite pleased if someone else recorded a video playing one of my guitars, especially a luthier or guitar tech who probably sees hundreds of instruments a year. I think my guitars are great, but it's nice if someone else appreciates playing them too.

loopfinding likes this.
  19. teletail

teletail Friend of Leo's

As long as he didn’t play Wagon Wheel, I’d be OK. :D

That Cal Webway and Peegoo like this.
  20. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I'm fascinated by this, how different people can be. When I'm visiting a luthier, I so much wish they would be interested in what other guitars and stuff I have, and where they came from, how much I got them for, etc. Of course, I wasn't there, and maybe if I was, I could agree that he is annoying. It's just funny, to me, that everything you found annoying to you sounds like something I would like. :D

TokyoPortrait likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.