Would this annoy you?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by TheTele123, Oct 8, 2021.

1. TheTele123

TheTele123 TDPRI Member

At the start of this week I took one of my guitars which is having an issue with the nut (which would then need a setup as well) to a local luthier who has good reviews and seems to be well regarded amongst local players. I dropped the guitar off to him and he said it would be ready by around Sunday. He didn't seem to be that busy and it was only a small job but I accepted it of course.

I've since checked his social media today and a few days ago he's posted a couple clips of him playing what looks to be my guitar, looks to be the day after I dropped it off. The issue isn't that he's recording videos of himself playing my guitar (as long as they are the old strings - I don't want the life taken out of a new set of strings I paid for by someone else), but it strikes me as odd that this was done a number of days before my guitar was supposed to be ready. It just seems a little odd or slightly unprofessional... not sure what others would make of that.

Edit: also noticed he called the guitar "my" guitar in one of the posts...

Last edited: Oct 9, 2021
  2. NoTeleBob

NoTeleBob Friend of Leo's

Yes, I'd have issues with that. Are you sure it's yours?

3. That Cal Webway

That Cal Webway Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Whoooa

Wouldn't go bk there anymore.
    Doesn't matter if he used your old strings or new ones,
    wrong is wrong.

Bassman8, Pcs264, Toadtele and 2 others like this.
  4. TheTele123

TheTele123 TDPRI Member

I have a very high level of confidence, it even sounds like it. The clips only show the top edge of the body to the neck pickup, and it's mostly neck with the headstock cropped out. But it absolutely looks to be my guitar

Blackmore Fan likes this.
  5. Vibroluxer

Vibroluxer Tele-Meister

That's very uncool. We musicians are an odd lot.

Did he have it ready by the time he said?

Blackmore Fan likes this.
  6. SecretSquirrel

SecretSquirrel Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Maybe he played the guitar to get an idea of how it should be set up, determine what it needed?

As long as he wasn't taking it out to gig with—that would be unacceptable—I don't see much harm there. (I might even be honored; "he likes my guitar!")

howardlo, Flat6Driver, ponce and 7 others like this.
  7. lammie200

lammie200 Friend of Leo's

If I got the guitar back fixed, in the same condition as it was when I dropped it off, and for the promised price and close to the scheduled time I wouldn’t care if he played it. Strings are strings. No biggie and I prefer strings that have been played for a while anyway.

howardlo, MTPoteet, drewg and 3 others like this.
  8. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Poster Extraordinaire

Need more info. What songs did he play?

jays0n, Lef T, P-Nutz and 15 others like this.
  9. dsutton24

dsutton24 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Musicians are weird.

A set of strings is like ten bucks, are you really going to war over a set of strings?

I'd be inclined to mention that I saw the video, and ask what it was all about. But if he did the work at the agreed price in the agreed time, I wouldn't get too crazy about it. Whether or not you ever use the guy again is up to you.

10. TokyoPortrait

TokyoPortrait Friend of Leo's

Hi.

I’m with @SecretSquirrel on this. Personally, I wouldn’t care if he just filmed a few clips in his workshop (luthiery?) and posted them. As mentioned, he might have done the filming while simply getting a feel for it (which would actually be a good thing).

Lots of guitar techs, etc. have filmed and posted doing setups, etc. on other people’s gear, so it might also be the norm. Or, seem to him like the norm.

I too might actually be a little flattered.

But (there’s always a but), as I mentioned in the nut width thread, if it bothers you, then it bothers you. That is totally legitimate.

My advice would be to ask in a happy voice, if that was indeed your guitar. You know, ‘Oh, hey, was that my guitar you were playing? I like your channel by the way.’ etc. Cos, it’s also totally inside the realms of possibility that a luthier / guitar tech has very similar guitars lying around.

Oh, and if he can post it, you can share the link here too. Nothing wrong with doing that. Being social and all. :)

Pax/
    Dean

Telecaster88, drewg, Obsessed and 2 others like this.
  11. TheTele123

TheTele123 TDPRI Member

Classic rock riffs and blues rock leads. He mentioned in the comments that he doesn't play guitar much anymore, so I'm not particularly sure what that even means in the context of things here.

I said it's not about the strings, to me it's a matter of priorities and professionalism, it just doesn't look right that he can have the time to put clips of himself playing my guitar on social media days before my guitar is supposed to be ready, when he said he was supposed to be busy enough that he couldn't get the guitar back to me sooner. I'm paying him to fix my guitar, not boost his social media presence with my instrument.

To me it looks like he might even be keeping my guitar a few extra days to play it. It just seems very odd to me. I won't kick up a stink with him about it as long as the guitar is fixed as expected, but I don't think I will be going back to this guy again.

12. Mike_LA

Mike_LA Tele-Afflicted

Got to let it settle in, then recheck it.
    Think he's doing you a favor

jays0n, howardlo, yegbert and 4 others like this.
  13. dsutton24

dsutton24 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Okay, you've your mind made up that this guy is going to take a beating over this. I wonder why you bothered to ask the question to begin with, but I fell for it, so I'll leave you to do what you think is right.

I take it all back.

Go get 'em!

14. goonie

goonie Friend of Leo's

He's a good businessman. No matter how busy you are, make time for marketing.

Fretting out likes this.
  15. Engine Swap

Engine Swap Tele-Afflicted

My mechanic once returned my car to me and said "I put a couple of miles on it and drove the family to church in it, just to be sure it was fixed". Best mechanic ever.

Zoso420, P-Nutz, howardlo and 4 others like this.
  16. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Telefied Silver Supporter

Ask if it was your guitar. If it is nothing abnormal, he will answer straight away with a plausible answer. If not he will likely make some excuse or make something up. Your call after that.

Telecaster88 likes this.
  17. MickM

MickM Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

So the guy had the guitar done in the allotted/agreed upon time after fixing an "issue with the nut" but you go on line not to complain about shoddy workmanship but to whimper about him making a video clip while making sure the job was done right. "Don't want the life taken out of a new set of strings"? I hope you are trolling us but if not and I did the work I would give you a discount and ask you to never darken the door of my shop again.
    Almost like "You can fix it but don't look at it or play it". Spinal Tap Fan?

MilwMark, howardlo, teletail and 7 others like this.
  18. TheTele123

TheTele123 TDPRI Member

I haven't got the guitar back yet

19. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Oh, heck. I'd be flattered that he did that with your guitar. It sounds like he's a real, guitar-loving musician at heart. It's one of the ways we are reminded that we're all brothers. (or family?)

But, yeah, think about the things that you and he share about music.

Zoso420, P Thought, P-Nutz and 4 others like this.
  20. JL_LI

JL_LI Poster Extraordinaire

This isn’t much ado about nothing but it’s certainly much ado about nothing much.

Zoso420, P Thought, MilwMark and 4 others like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.