Would this annoy you or make you wary? CL content

Deeve

Doctor of Teleocity
[Deeve wakes up in the bathtub of some seedy flop-house, surrounded by ice water...]

JEEBUZ that would be horrible.

andy2.jpg
Laughs in dialysis. . .

Chud

Poster Extraordinaire
Laughs in dialysis. . .

I had one of those that could have gone that way years ago, even chronicled here in case I didn't make it home...:lol:

Preacher

Poster Extraordinaire
I don't do any transactions at the old casa.

All transactions are where there are lots of people and cameras on the poles. I know it is pain to load up the gear and take it somewhere for someone to look at but in the long run it is safer.

We had a guy take a car to sell to someone on CL down here. He drives up at the meeting place (not a well lit or safe part of town). Another car drives up and lets a guy out and then pulls around the corner. The dude gets in the car to look around and then pulls a gun and robs the guy of his personal effects and then steals the car. All the guy had was a burner cell phone number.

Not CL related, but I am pretty picky about who I let into my house. My grandfather had some nice collections of expensive stuff (porcelain dolls, gold watches, guns, knives, etc) that he would occasionally display in plain sight. He would on occasion hire ranch hands who would drift in and out of the area. He was needing a few hands and had a neighbor of his put out the word. On the day before the work he had three guys show up, two of them my grandfather knew as either kids of neighbors or smaller farmers around the area. There was one guy who knew a guy who knew a guy that heard my grandad needed help. My grandad hired all three and told them he had two days worth of work, told them what it paid and to be at the house at 6AM the next day for breakfast.
The three of them showed up for breakfast and grandpa just had to show off his shiny toys. One of the guys asked about the porcelain dolls (the kid thought they were creepy and they were) and grandpa gushed about how expensive they were. My grandad then pulled out his pocket watch and one of the neighbor boys ogled it and said how pretty it was. Well grandpa had to go retrieve his whole collection to show him the really fancy ones.

Two weeks later the house was broken into. Fancy watches gone, porcelain dolls gone and the color TV was taken. My grandfather had no idea who did it. He even thought my youngest brother might have pulled the robbery (yeah don't ask). A week goes by and the police say they have a man in custody who was trying to sell a box full of gold watches to a pawn shop. They need my grandad to ID the guy and it was the drifter cowboy. Turned out the guy had a history of picking things up that did not belong to him. I am sure he was just there for the job, but then seeing where the goods were and needing cash, he came back for a quick score.

nojazzhere

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
I don't do any transactions at the old casa.

All transactions are where there are lots of people and cameras on the poles. I know it is pain to load up the gear and take it somewhere for someone to look at but in the long run it is safer.

We had a guy take a car to sell to someone on CL down here. He drives up at the meeting place (not a well lit or safe part of town). Another car drives up and lets a guy out and then pulls around the corner. The dude gets in the car to look around and then pulls a gun and robs the guy of his personal effects and then steals the car. All the guy had was a burner cell phone number.

Not CL related, but I am pretty picky about who I let into my house. My grandfather had some nice collections of expensive stuff (porcelain dolls, gold watches, guns, knives, etc) that he would occasionally display in plain sight. He would on occasion hire ranch hands who would drift in and out of the area. He was needing a few hands and had a neighbor of his put out the word. On the day before the work he had three guys show up, two of them my grandfather knew as either kids of neighbors or smaller farmers around the area. There was one guy who knew a guy who knew a guy that heard my grandad needed help. My grandad hired all three and told them he had two days worth of work, told them what it paid and to be at the house at 6AM the next day for breakfast.
The three of them showed up for breakfast and grandpa just had to show off his shiny toys. One of the guys asked about the porcelain dolls (the kid thought they were creepy and they were) and grandpa gushed about how expensive they were. My grandad then pulled out his pocket watch and one of the neighbor boys ogled it and said how pretty it was. Well grandpa had to go retrieve his whole collection to show him the really fancy ones.

Two weeks later the house was broken into. Fancy watches gone, porcelain dolls gone and the color TV was taken. My grandfather had no idea who did it. He even thought my youngest brother might have pulled the robbery (yeah don't ask). A week goes by and the police say they have a man in custody who was trying to sell a box full of gold watches to a pawn shop. They need my grandad to ID the guy and it was the drifter cowboy. Turned out the guy had a history of picking things up that did not belong to him. I am sure he was just there for the job, but then seeing where the goods were and needing cash, he came back for a quick score.
One of the places I like to use as a meeting place is a local Central Market. They have a nice, shaded performance area, tables and chairs, surveillance cameras, and A/C power if something needs plugging in. Also, there are also lots of other people around. I figure if any potential buyer objects to the location, I consider it a bullet dodged.

String Tree

Doctor of Teleocity
I’m de-pedaling a bit again after going overboard during that which shall not be named… I have a single ad with all pedals on the chopping block up on CL that I’ve been slowly unloading one by one, which is fine because it’s all just going to fund a new cab build that I’ve already mostly funded.

Dealing with the normal CL flakes, being careful about who gets met by the corner bar and who actually gets invited in. Normal stuff for CL in NYC. Everyone messages about a specific pedal or maybe two specific pedals except for this one guy who just wants to “come by and grab a few” of my pedals. I’ve asked him at least three times which pedals he’s interested in, and he has yet to tell me which.

Mind you, this person messaged about a very specific strap of mine a week or so ago and never responded until I get another message from him about the pedals and he’s all “that’s awesome you’re the same guy”, so he’s not a Nigerian prince or a missionary out on a boat asking me to accept a wire and send the gear to his agent. Lol. I know his name and have looked him up, and he’s just a garden variety, weirdo, flakey musician in NYC like we all are occasionally.

In one of my amp ads, I have the “I’m not a Guitar Center” disclosure, meaning you can test it out but we’re not here for a concert, let’s pick it up Skippy…lol. I don’t have that disclaimer on my pedal ad, and I just get the feeling he wants to test drive a bunch of my sh..stuff, which I don’t really mind until it gets out of hand. But for chrissake, give me some parameters on what’s in scope…lol. At least so I can set up and have ready for him to test.

Would this annoy you, or am I just getting cranky and old?
Its your house, your gear.
It's their Money.

You have to lay the Rules down and stick to them.

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
I think the guy will meet up with you, waste a LOT of your time, then not buy a thing. I only met one guy like that, but that's exactly how it turned out. The guy turned out to be pretty easy to get along with but was just a waste of time. Usually, if they want it, the money is burning a hole in their pocket. Anybody else I don't have time for.

Chud

Poster Extraordinaire
We shall see. He finally sent me a list of 8-9 pedals he's interested in, the cheapies for his students as gifts. I do foresee some twiddly diddly happening, but I can put up with that if he picks up even a couple. Lol

I've had that happen too, TD. Both times were with amps I was selling rather than pedals, thus the "I'm not a Guitar Center" disclaimer on the amp ad. :lol:

If this guy turns into a professional tire kicker, that disclaimer will go on the pedal ad too.

Last edited:

Chud

Poster Extraordinaire
He came by, met him by the bar on the corner, had a little conversation, and he's just a normal, garden variety jazzer, weirdo musician in NYC like the rest of us (except the jazzer part here). Took him to the basement and told him that he'd get the hose aga...just kidding. He twiddled around for about 20 minutes on just about all of the pedals, bought 6 of them and the El Dorado strap he was interested in earlier IN CA$H.

A little muss, a little fuss, but you'll not hear me cuss...lol

Last edited:

Endless Mike

Friend of Leo's
I’m de-pedaling a bit again after going overboard during that which shall not be named… I have a single ad with all pedals on the chopping block up on CL that I’ve been slowly unloading one by one, which is fine because it’s all just going to fund a new cab build that I’ve already mostly funded.

Dealing with the normal CL flakes, being careful about who gets met by the corner bar and who actually gets invited in. Normal stuff for CL in NYC. Everyone messages about a specific pedal or maybe two specific pedals except for this one guy who just wants to “come by and grab a few” of my pedals. I’ve asked him at least three times which pedals he’s interested in, and he has yet to tell me which.

Mind you, this person messaged about a very specific strap of mine a week or so ago and never responded until I get another message from him about the pedals and he’s all “that’s awesome you’re the same guy”, so he’s not a Nigerian prince or a missionary out on a boat asking me to accept a wire and send the gear to his agent. Lol. I know his name and have looked him up, and he’s just a garden variety, weirdo, flakey musician in NYC like we all are occasionally.

In one of my amp ads, I have the “I’m not a Guitar Center” disclosure, meaning you can test it out but we’re not here for a concert, let’s pick it up Skippy…lol. I don’t have that disclaimer on my pedal ad, and I just get the feeling he wants to test drive a bunch of my sh..stuff, which I don’t really mind until it gets out of hand. But for chrissake, give me some parameters on what’s in scope…lol. At least so I can set up and have ready for him to test.

Would this annoy you, or am I just getting cranky and old?
I've been buying and selling on CL for fifteen years or more. I've learned that anything outside of typical, expected behavior is a sign to stay away. I've always sold what I've needed to sell, never lost an opportunity, and I've never been harmed, threatened or ripped off. I just do not fool with anything even remotely off or odd.

Would it annoy me? No. but I'm not going to waste time on it either.

As an aside, for everyone here who uses CL - most cities have safe exchange zones set up by the local PD. Look and see if you have such a thing. If you do, USE IT. I always put it in my ads that I will only meet at that specific location. Anyone who doesn't want to meet near the local cop shop is probably someone whom I do not need to be meeting at all. Again, I've never lost an opportunity. I always sell everything I list, even if it takes a few months. I'm never in a hurry.

DuckDodgers

Tele-Holic
I’m just three blocks from the local Police Station, and they encourage people to come there to transact deals made on the internet or classified ads. I’ve only had one potential potential buyer suddenly disappear after I suggested meeting there. I’ve also completed deals in the parking lot there.