Would this annoy you or make you wary? CL content

Chud

Poster Extraordinaire
I’m de-pedaling a bit again after going overboard during that which shall not be named… I have a single ad with all pedals on the chopping block up on CL that I’ve been slowly unloading one by one, which is fine because it’s all just going to fund a new cab build that I’ve already mostly funded.

Dealing with the normal CL flakes, being careful about who gets met by the corner bar and who actually gets invited in. Normal stuff for CL in NYC. Everyone messages about a specific pedal or maybe two specific pedals except for this one guy who just wants to “come by and grab a few” of my pedals. I’ve asked him at least three times which pedals he’s interested in, and he has yet to tell me which.

Mind you, this person messaged about a very specific strap of mine a week or so ago and never responded until I get another message from him about the pedals and he’s all “that’s awesome you’re the same guy”, so he’s not a Nigerian prince or a missionary out on a boat asking me to accept a wire and send the gear to his agent. Lol. I know his name and have looked him up, and he’s just a garden variety, weirdo, flakey musician in NYC like we all are occasionally.

In one of my amp ads, I have the “I’m not a Guitar Center” disclosure, meaning you can test it out but we’re not here for a concert, let’s pick it up Skippy…lol. I don’t have that disclaimer on my pedal ad, and I just get the feeling he wants to test drive a bunch of my sh..stuff, which I don’t really mind until it gets out of hand. But for chrissake, give me some parameters on what’s in scope…lol. At least so I can set up and have ready for him to test.

Would this annoy you, or am I just getting cranky and old?

Last edited:

Dik Ellis

Tele-Afflicted
I sold my amps and guitars on consignment through my amp tech. He cleaned them up and shipped them too. The small stuff I sold at home, and not too many weirdos either.

Dismalhead

Doctor of Teleocity
I've gotten to the point where if I sense anything remotely off in a CL transaction I immediately cut off all contact.

I did the daily watch and pounce on super deals on CL for about three years. Had great selling and trading experiences, but I've also dealt with a lot of real freaky weirdos, thieves, and scammers too. Maybe you lose a sale, but maybe you didn't get robbed or your home burglarized because you didn't follow through. Don't take chances.

Milspec

Poster Extraordinaire
Sounds to me like a fraud.

I sell and buy a lot off of CL and my number 1 rule is that I only deal with live people. I put my cell number in the ad and refuse all contacts other than phone calls. No texts, no voicemail, no emails. The frauds work off the other forms of communication, they do not call.

Sure, you might alienate some people as many seem too scared to actually speak to strangers, but so what, if they want the item they will have to man up and call. I have never had any issues operating this way and normally get things sold in a week.

sax4blues

Poster Extraordinaire
Today I completed a CL guitar sale after listing for almost six months. I don’t suffer any fools. The ONLY communication I respond to is a direct offer to buy, CL listing has complete details and photos. I met at my bank where I deposit the cash before anything is let go. Buyer was very happy.

Deeve

Doctor of Teleocity
My ads require a message that affirms
1/ I am a real human;
2/ I have the cash to buy (item);
and
3/ this is my phone #

If they can't put 1, 2 & 3 in their msg, no reply.
Life needs to be simpler, not harder.
Peace - Deeve

Chud

Poster Extraordinaire
My ads require a message that affirms
1/ I am a real human;
2/ I have the cash to buy (item);
and
3/ this is my phone #

If they can't put 1, 2 & 3 in their msg, no reply.
Life needs to be simpler, not harder.
Peace - Deeve

I have all three, I just don’t have which pedal(s) he may or may not be interested in.

if i sense sense anything weird i'm usually out, not worth the trouble

selling anything cool? i'm the ideal CL NYC patron lol

A few things lol:
He is not interested in any pedals.

1665486944646.gif

nojazzhere

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
I’m de-pedaling a bit again after going overboard during that which shall not be named… I have a single ad with all pedals on the chopping block up on CL that I’ve been slowly unloading one by one, which is fine because it’s all just going to fund a new cab build that I’ve already mostly funded.

Dealing with the normal CL flakes, being careful about who gets met by the corner bar and who actually gets invited in. Normal stuff for CL in NYC. Everyone messages about a specific pedal or maybe two specific pedals except for this one guy who just wants to “come by and grab a few” of my pedals. I’ve asked him at least three times which pedals he’s interested in, and he has yet to tell me which.

Mind you, this person messaged about a very specific strap of mine a week or so ago and never responded until I get another message from him about the pedals and he’s all “that’s awesome you’re the same guy”, so he’s not a Nigerian prince or a missionary out on a boat asking me to accept a wire and send the gear to his agent. Lol. I know his name and have looked him up, and he’s just a garden variety, weirdo, flakey musician in NYC like we all are occasionally.

In one of my amp ads, I have the “I’m not a Guitar Center” disclosure, meaning you can test it out but we’re not here for a concert, let’s pick it up Skippy…lol. I don’t have that disclaimer on my pedal ad, and I just get the feeling he wants to test drive a bunch of my sh..stuff, which I don’t really mind until it gets out of hand. But for chrissake, give me some parameters on what’s in scope…lol. At least so I can set up and have ready for him to test.

Would this annoy you, or am I just getting cranky and old?
Can't say for certain.....but he sounds like either an out-and-out fraud, or a complete time waster. Don't know which is worse.
If you've asked three times which pedals he's interested in, and he hasn't told you, why are you still asking? He just wants to "hook up".....in whatever way.

dented

Doctor of Teleocity
You know, critters are strange sometimes. I had a guy like that come to the house. Before he got there I took everything outside and set it up in the driveway. This ratty old box truck truck pulls up and a worn out individual comes up and short talks me. Says he'll take it all. Hands me cash, loads it up himself and was gone in less than 5 minutes. Just have a plan. Someone else with you, cameras........you know the drill man. Optimally you don't do it at home, your call.

Chud

Poster Extraordinaire
If you've asked three times which pedals he's interested in, and he hasn't told you, why are you still asking?

That's a good question. Mostly because I've dealt with a lot more CL weirdness than this and had success.

If it's worth a post here to ask opinions, I think it's worth avoiding the guy. Just don't respond. There are better buyers out there, so why waste time with one who sets off your internal weirdo alarm.

By that criteria most of posts here wouldn't meet muster. Posting nonsense when our shrits are a little bumched is what we are good at and what we do here! :lol:

You know, critters are strange sometimes. I had a guy like that come to the house. Before he got there I took everything outside and set it up in the driveway. This ratty old box truck truck pulls up and a worn out individual comes up and short talks me. Says he'll take it all. Hands me cash, loads it up himself and was gone in less than 5 minutes. Just have a plan. Someone else with you, cameras........you know the drill man. Optimally you don't do it at home, your call.

Yep, this is all very true. Different courses for different horses. I've seen and met all kinds buying and selling gear on CL in NYC. Sometimes the most flakey seeming buyers (or sellers) end up the easiest and best, and sometimes the ones who seem the most reliable and stable turn out to be the wackadoodle doos.