1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Would there be any point???

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by ScottTunes, Nov 29, 2018.

1. ScottTunes

ScottTunes TDPRI Member

...in listing my early '60s Gretsch 6163 Amp?

I LOVE vintage amps! But, not certain anyone else loves 'em. And, I'm not using this one anymore...

This is a sweet amp! But will require patience for a buyer, because the speaker was just reconed, and the original tubes are old. Personally, I think the original tubes are a plus. But I've heard otherwise...

Anyway, I ask the "Tele Powers That Be" to advise - to list (for sale), or not.

Thank you for your collective help!!!

tifftunes aka ScottTunes

2. GGardner

GGardner Friend of Leo's

Absolutely! Those look cool as beans. Try posting on Grestchpages and Gretsch-Talk.

3. jimgchord

jimgchord Tele-Afflicted

Many people are into vintage amps.certainly nothing to lose by trying. Good luck!

4. Milspec

Milspec Poster Extraordinaire

I go through this very question with my '49 Epiphone Century amplifer. It is a very cool amp that sounds rather tweed-like when pushed, but because it still has the original Rola speaker I don't risk it by playing very often. My advice to you remains the same for me....never sell a vintage amp that you like unless you really need the money. They are not making any more of them so you may never get the chance to own one like that again.

ahnadr likes this.
  5. Papa Joe

Papa Joe Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I'd study all the resources to try to learn the value first..Then I'd list them on reverb.com at 20 percent higher than what I want to get..With make offer option..
    The big problem will be shipping cost..
    I've sold several vintage amps on local CL after first learning the value like that..

6. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Agreed, but probably not the OP's problem. In my experience, on Reverb, buyers will haggle, but when it's a guitar or amp, especially something they can't have Sweetwater send for free, they're willing to pay up to have it shipped.

7. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

This thread really needs pics. :twisted:

Paul in Colorado and Wally like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.