would someone explain the disdain for the Fender Bassbreaker series I have one and its great

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by stepvan, Mar 4, 2020.

1. Si G X

Si G X Tele-Holic

I love them, played a 30R 1x12 the other week, I really wanted it. Sadly I don't need it or can afford to spend that money on something I don't need.

I'll probably pick one up in 5 years on the used market, I'll know that it's a good reliable one then too.

Deathray likes this.
  2. stepvan

stepvan Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Yeah it's a great amp. You get the best of both worlds with it the fender cleans and the High gain Marshall sounds out of it. And it is loud enough for small gigs. If I had it to do again I may go with the 18/30 but as pointed out the extra weight of it (kinda why I went with the 15)

Deathray and blowtorch like this.
  3. graybeard65

graybeard65 Tele-Meister

I owned a 15, and thought that the cleans were fantastic - and the amp was small and relatively light.

the crunch side of things was passable, but didn’t light my fires the way other amps have, and after 4 months of trying to bond with mine, I traded it towards something else.

i thought that it had immense potential as a bridge between the fantastic cleans that fender excels at, and the higher gain that Marshall and others seem to do better...and it was certainly a very useable amp.

in the end, it didn’t do anything exceptionally, and I couldn’t see it as anything but a practice amp for me.

as always, just my two centavos.

stratoman1 and stepvan like this.
  4. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

That one is calling me...

Deathray, stepvan and Si G X like this.
  5. blowtorch

Bassbreaker 15 combo Weight: 40 lbs.
    Bassbreaker 30 r combo Amp Weight 38 lbs.

AND it's more powerful.
    AND AND it's got two great-sounding channels, three if you count the boost.
    AND AND AND it's footswitchable (except for the reverb :()

No-brainer to me

The two main landmark tones that I'm always striving to achieve are the clean sound of my old V1 HRDX and the sound of a modeled Bassman goosed by a virtual Rat, which is just about the the only preset I use from my Line6 Gearbox tone library ("Blues Slide"). These both seem to come pretty effortlessly through this amp, from what I hear online.

Thinking pretty seriously about joining the bassbreaker contingent

Last edited: Mar 5, 2020
    Deathray, Fretting out and stepvan like this.
  6. gregulator450

gregulator450 Tele-Holic

I only wish all the Bassbreaker amps had the 3rd "bridged" input that the 45 has. I don't know much about the bassmans and bluesbreakers, but I have heard that bridging the input channels was what made them sound so good. Why not have that on all the two-channel bassbreakers?

Don't hate... I am not an amp expert, so maybe this was addressed in the smaller bassbreakers. I, too, hope to pick one up on the used market in a couple years. I can't justify buying a new one right now.

7. stepvan

stepvan Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

You will not be sorry. I only run a slap back delay tube screamer and a fender Marine layer reverb and it more or less does what I want. I guess it's a either you dig it or you just reside on the other side of the fence. Been honestly looking at the 007 head and cab as well. Each of these amps are different.thats the way fender set up the lineup in the sense each amp has specs unique to it

blowtorch likes this.
  8. blowtorch

I do recall there being one of these that I didn't care for the sound of (online clips). Don't remember which, though

I have to try to scare some up locally, and hear them in person (other than the 15 at the band prac house)

9. Stratguy70

Stratguy70 TDPRI Member

This is a first for me, I just got a 007.
    It sounds/ looks good, hopefully it will last for a while.

10. scooteraz

scooteraz Friend of Leo's

Something different floats everyone’s boat. Some folks can be vocal about what floats theirs, which may be different from what floats yours. So, I’m guessing that you’re just seeing that effect.

radiocaster likes this.
  11. horseman308

horseman308 Tele-Holic

I liked the BB15 and BB45. I didn't really need either for my purposes, but would have been really interested in the BB45 in a 1x12 combo. I never have tried the BB30, but I suppose it might be the closest fort needs. I really wanted to love the 18/30, and I spent the most time with one of any Bassbreaker. In the end, it didn't react well with my pedals and was way too loud to get any kind of natural break-up. Like many people, reliability was my only other big hangup, as they don't yet have the 10-15 year history to know how they stand up to regular gigging and transportation.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

12. bluesholyman

bluesholyman Tele-Afflicted

I have tried them periodically since they came out. I tried a used BB15 in the store today because it looked cool, especially the blinking power light when its in standby...it intrigued me to see how it sounded.

The cleans were ok, on the low gain setting, but when you dialed it up to medium it got this harsh marshally kinda sound to it - I did not find that appealing, although I love the sound of a cranked JTM 45. I did not spend much time trying to dial it in - maybe it takes some tweaking, but it wasn't for me.

The BB series strikes me as modern flare with mediocre execution and a focus on mass production vs quality of sound / build. But that is most mass produced amps these days.

13. blowtorch

30-R enroute

Si G X likes this.
  14. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

would someone explain the disdain for the Fender Bassbreaker series
    I would, I've been trying, but I get nauseous just thinking about it.... can't get the words out... :lol:

stratoman1 likes this.
  15. MuddyWolf

MuddyWolf Tele-Meister

I don't disdain it. I just don't like it.
    Just kidding.

I think people find the name confusing. They wonder if it's a bass amp and what is going to break.

16. trxx

trxx Tele-Afflicted

Sounds bad and and looks to be cheap made. It's the type of amp that young players get talked into buying at a guitar store, regret buying it, and then have a hard time selling it to afford buying something else that doesn't suck.

17. Cysquatch

Cysquatch Tele-Holic

Absolutely this. I can't speak to the durability of them, but I find myself plugging into and really enjoying any of them I find at music shops. They don't really offer up what I'm looking for personally, but I certainly don't think they sound anything short of good. There's a strong trend of people stating things are bad as a fact when they simply don't prefer them - which is where the root of the perceived disdain lies, honestly.

3-Chord-Genius and Fretting out like this.
  18. Crawldaddy

Crawldaddy Tele-Holic

Which is exactly what I did. I appreciate that Fender is trying to capture a certain market segment, but they need to do better given how Mesa is the amp company to beat when it comes to multi-channel amps that do very well for both clean and dirty tones. For my money, I will not bother with the Bassbreaker series because I already have (Mesa Boogie) amps that deliver that type of tones and with far better tonal flexibility and build quality.

Before anyone starts comparing price points of the Bassbreaker vs anything that Mesa put out, I will also qualify by saying that you really do get what you pay for. I've gone through 4 tube-driven Fender amps in the last 5 years and the only EL84 offering of theirs that I will continue to hold onto is my Pro Junior IV. FWIW I am currently in the process of off-loading my '65 DRRI.

My Mesa Recto-verb 25 and Fillmore 50 are going nowhere.

Fretting out likes this.
  19. El Marin

El Marin Tele-Afflicted

I tried a BB45 and liked it. I was looking for a gigging amp... I was about to buy a head

But a Marshall origin 50c come into my path and...

Half of the weight, 1x12" and amazing tone, I was done. Is for gigging. I prefer a combo

20. trxx

trxx Tele-Afflicted

No one wants a broken fish.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.