Would my lunchbox destroy this extension speaker?

hemingway

Poster Extraordinaire
Okay, go easy on me, because I'm not very techy with amps.

So: I have been thinking of getting the ZT extension cab for my Lunchbox reverb, but I can't find one for love nor money at the moment.

The whole point of the Lunchbox is that it's compact and convenient, so I don't want a great big cab. I found this Vox one, but it's only 25w, whereas the Lunchbox is 120x.

https://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/Vox-BC108-Black-Cab-Series-1x8-Speaker-Cabinet/1TDF

So my (probably stupid) question is, if I use this with the Lunchbox and crank it up, is the Vox just going to die from all that power?

And will the Vox even add that much volume anyway? I mean okay, it's "only" 25w, but it's an 8" speaker, which is pretty hefty in small venues.

Thanks!

VintageSG

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
It will add. If you spread horizontally and get both units off the deck, you'd be amazed at the room presence a small amp can give.
I doubt the power of the ZT is the rated continuous RMS power, but even so, yeah, smoke may be emitted from its voice coil.
Would a driver swap to a PA style driver be possible?, maybe even an 8" passive?
https://www.gear4music.com/PA-DJ-and-Lighting/SubZero-100W-8-Passive-PA-Speaker/SHO

nickmm

Tele-Holic
You could try a freight forwarder for one from the Manufacturer.
If you plan on gigging with it the I would say the Vox would be marginal.

Dacious

Doctor of Teleocity

So: I have been thinking of getting the ZT extension cab for my Lunchbox reverb, but I can't find one for love nor money at the moment.

The whole point of the Lunchbox is that it's compact and convenient, so I don't want a great big cab. I found this Vox one, but it's only 25w, whereas the Lunchbox is 120x.

https://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/Vox-BC108-Black-Cab-Series-1x8-Speaker-Cabinet/1TDF

So my (probably stupid) question is, if I use this with the Lunchbox and crank it up, is the Vox just going to die from all that power?

And will the Vox even add that much volume anyway? I mean okay, it's "only" 25w, but it's an 8" speaker, which is pretty hefty in small venues.

Thanks!
Yes you will blow the speaker up. Those small Vox cabs aren't very efficient. It's really designed for things like the Micro Terror or MV50 Mimi amp which into 8 ohms puts out 25 watts.

You need to check two things.

1. What load does the amp 'expect' to see
2. Does plugging in an extension speaker disconnect the internal one.

In short, no for live performance it won't be particularly satisfactory.

hemingway

Poster Extraordinaire
Yes you will blow the speaker up. Those small Vox cabs aren't very efficient. It's really designed for things like the Micro Terror or MV50 Mimi amp which into 8 ohms puts out 25 watts.

You need to check two things.

1. What load does the amp 'expect' to see
2. Does plugging in an extension speaker disconnect the internal one.

In short, no for live performance it won't be particularly satisfactory.
Yes, that's about what i thought - thank you.

Suppose I'll just have to wait till the ZT cab ii is available again

Dacious

Doctor of Teleocity
Yes, that's about what i thought - thank you.

Suppose I'll just have to wait till the ZT cab ii is available again
I just had a look online and the requirement is for an 8 ohm cabinet. Any 8 ohm will work but may change sound in unanticipated ways. It doesn't mute the internal speaker.

Last edited:

radiocaster

Poster Extraordinaire
Yup, you'll blow it. If it doesn't mute the internal speaker, you'll still need 60W, in particular if you want to crank it.

Plus it's not that efficient. I've plugged in 1-2W amps into it and was able to crank them without experiencing pain, which I cannot with a 12" or even a 10" speaker cab.

However, it is a good cab. It's deep and gives pretty good bass as well, although it doesn't sound the same as a bigger cab. It's not boxy either. Sounds good mixed with another cab.

Alex_C

Tele-Afflicted
Why not pickup a small cabinet and a small speaker with the proper power rating?

Si G X

Friend of Leo's
8" speaker cabs are thin on the ground.... the only one I know is the Orange PPC108 but that's only 20w too.

I don't think you really have any other options than the ZT, unless you just go for a compact, lightweight 1x12 which won't be too hard to find with a 60w rating.

drumtime

Tele-Afflicted
I use a DV Mark 112 neoclassic cab with my ZT. It handles 150 watts, and weighs 18 lbs. Bigger than the ZT cab for sure, but not too bad to handle.

There are several used ZT cabs for sale on the Guitar Center website this morning.. One is $99.

hemingway

Poster Extraordinaire
I use a DV Mark 112 neoclassic cab with my ZT. It handles 150 watts, and weighs 18 lbs. Bigger than the ZT cab for sure, but not too bad to handle.

There are several used ZT cabs for sale on the Guitar Center website this morning.. One is $99.
Thanks, that's a good shout.

hemingway

Poster Extraordinaire
I just think you’d get so much more, plus the power handling you seek with a 12”. But obviously, you know your needs.
You're right, of course, but I hate carrying big kit around.

Also, in most of the gigs I play, no one's too worried about the nuances of the sound. Horses for courses, as they say.

northernguitar

Poster Extraordinaire
You're right, of course, but I hate carrying big kit around.

Also, in most of the gigs I play, no one's too worried about the nuances of the sound. Horses for courses, as they say.
Have you ever looked at a cab with a neodymium magnet speaker? We had a former bass player who had a Gallien-Kruger cab with a 15” neo speaker. I could easily curl that cab it was so light.

pinkytele

TDPRI Member

Thanks!
hemingway, I work for ZT, and the Cab II is in stock. You can order it direct from our website store. (by the way, glad you like your amp!)

The LB Reverb splits its available power if an external speaker is connected, as long as the internal speaker is also being used, so if you wanted to go with another type, anything that handles at least 50W RMS and is 8 ohms will be fine. Sensitivity of the speaker would affect its output level of course (I believe our 6.5" is 93dB or so). BUT if you're muting the internal speaker and using the ZT amp as just a head, you'll want a speaker that can handle 100W RMS (still 8 ohms).

Adding an external cabinet (even the ZT with the same size speaker as the amp) does add output and bottom end, it's very noticeable.