Would it be wrong...

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by lammie200, Dec 5, 2019.

1. lammie200

lammie200 Friend of Leo's

For those of you that like relic'd guitars, would it be wrong to relic a guitar in an extremely uniform manner? I see a lot of relic'd guitars that have marks in all the places that you would expect, but not uniform. For example, a guitar may have marks on the fret board, but certain positions don't look like they got played much at all. I have also seen guitars that are relic'd that have random marks that could only happen with random occurrences. Does anyone have a relic'd guitar that shows wear marks completely uniform? Would that go against your desire for character in a relic'd guitar?

ping-ping-clicka likes this.
  2. Fretting out

Fretting out Tele-Afflicted

I’m not sure I understand do you mean just arm wear and fingerboard wear all over the neck ?

nojazzhere likes this.
  3. lammie200

In a nutshell, yes, but it could be anywhere on a guitar that would normally wear except the wear patterns would be uniform in nature. It could be back of the neck wear, picking wear, back wear - even buckle rash, but devoid of the randomness that you typically see in a relic'd guitar. Kinda like Jeff Beck's Tele that has very uniform forearm wear, but with that theme being prevalent through out all of the relic'ing.

Fretting out likes this.
  4. rickthescot

rickthescot Tele-Holic

I'd like to see it where there is no possible way that it was caused by playing. Therefore confirming poser status.

Peltogyne and Switchy like this.
  5. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

There are no rules.... Just what you prefer ...go for it !!!

Fretting out and bftfender like this.
  6. lammie200

That's the other side of the coin. Is that obviously wrong for those that like relic's.

rangercaster likes this.
  7. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

mine is beat up...i keep it for the looks

8. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

Only time can relic a guitar ... Hence randomness ...

reddy2300 likes this.
  9. Miff

Miff Tele-Meister

Since deliberate relicing is a cosmetic art then you can apply the makeup that pleases you.

And I’m sure we’ve all seen a few old guitars where we thought “how the hell did it get in that state?”

NewKid, nojazzhere and Fretting out like this.
  10. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

FYI...Jeff Beck's Esquire had (has) a deliberately sanded forearm bevel. That wasn't legitimate wear.

jrblue and Fretting out like this.
  11. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

it would be wrong and there are no rules.

12. Peegoo

Peegoo Tele-Holic

The "random" dings and scratches actually do happen randomly. That's why they appear to be random.

For instance, the case lid falls on the guitar and one of the latches puts a ding in the surface. This doesn't happen too often, and usually when it happens the first time, most players who value their instruments take measures to prevent it occurring in the future.

This is why guitars that collect their battle scars over the years look the way they do. The hard hits are few and far between...but play the thing often enough and long enough, and it will wear its own history on its sleeve.

13. lammie200

I was getting at two points: 1) Relic’ing a guitar to make it look cool, as in, an antique, and/or 2) relic’ing a guitar to make it feel better to play, as in, broken in.

If you are going for #2, then is completely uniform relic’ing a no-no for those that like/have relic’d guitars? Can you separate the two concepts or do you have to have both?

14. Peegoo

Peegoo Tele-Holic

Making a guitar have a broken-in feel does not include putting dings and wear in the body. It generally involves smoothing over the pointy bits (fret ends, fretboard shoulders, nut, bridge saddles, etc.). There are many guitars that are old and get played often, and their finishes still look pretty good because the owner has taken care of it.

But is anything a no-no if you want to do it? Nope. It's *your* guitar; it does not belong to that guy in the third row lambasting you for playing a 2019 Relic Strat. He can go pound sand.

NewKid, Peltogyne and nojazzhere like this.
  15. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

relicing is a "fashion statement" so whatever you prefer goes... Some like their lil ladies in filip flops, others like them in Ferragamo heels... so... have at it..

rk

getbent likes this.
  16. lammie200

So, I guess that I am wrong to assume that some people relic for “feel?”

17. Peegoo

Peegoo Tele-Holic

No, not really. Some folks do it. But "broken in" is not smashed and bashed. It's artificially-created wear on the parts.

I think it all comes down to how we define what 'relic' means.

18. lammie200

So back to my original question. Is it wrong for a relic’er to create artificial wear in a completely uniform fashion? I know that there are no rules, but it is more a question of is relic’ing like a badge of honor in that it should only “look” like authentic wear? Especially if an authentic look isn’t the only reason to relic. I mean some people pay a lot of money to have it done. It seems like if you are going to be completely rational about it the relic’ing would be completely uniform. Any relic’ers have any thoughts on this? What do you strive to do with your relic’ing?

19. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

I think the relic appeals to guys that would love to have the cred of a million nights on the road, in bars and dives and late night head cutting sessions, 2 am sessions cutting soul salad in memphis, without the actual hours and miles. A guy can 'buy a title' in this world... wanna be a duke or a baron? you can buy it and it is as legitimate as having your mum be royalty.

relics are like that... when you pick up your relic you have that oeuvre. Because it has that look... it gives you that groove that that look gives you... visual --> impression--> emotion = result

nothing wrong with it if you groove to it... and some guys like stuff worn down. some guys can't stand slick necks... like used car dealers say 'there is a butt for every seat'....

20. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Tele-Holic

how can a physical manifestation of a fantasy, be done in a manner that could be considered wrong ? Not being the real deal makes the Faux treatment correct in its execution. imho....

tamer_of_banthas likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.