1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Would Anyone Like to Proofread My Wiring Diagram?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by Steve Holt, Apr 22, 2021.

1. Steve Holt

Steve Holt Friend of Leo's

Elliotdraft3.png

A year or so ago I built a strat and gave it to a friend for Christmas. I did a pretty shoddy job wiring it up (pulled pickups out of my drawer, spliced wires together and made it all work). It works but it isn't pretty. So I told him I'd like to rewire it when he comes back this way this summer. He's down but he wants to add a humbucker to the neck position. I said no problem.

The original wiring has the 'activate bridge' mod with a push/pull pot on the the volume, and he doesn't really want to give that up. I tossed out the idea of coil splitting the humbucker. The solution I came up with (and there could be a better one) was to make the first pot be a push/pull volume for the neck humbucker. The second pot would be a push/pull volume for the middle bridge, and the pull position would activate the bridge pickup in any position. The third pot is master tone.

I've never done a coil split before so I'm a bit confused on how all of that works, but I'm pretty sure this setup does all that. Trouble is, when my friend brings his guitar to town in June and I strip it apart, route out a swimming pool route and do all of this wiring only to find something doesn't work, I won't exactly have time to diagnose and fix it, especially if I'm starting with a flawed diagram.

Any input is definitely welcome. This should be a fun little project.

2. Steve Holt

I should mention these are the CTS push pull pots that stewmac sells.

So in the down position C1, C2, 2, and 4 are active. In the up position C1, C2, 1 and 3 are active.

3. Renown

Renown TDPRI Member

VR3 looks wrong. One of the blue leads should be going to the wiper. I could be wrong but it doesn't look like it does anything as shown.

I'm not familiar with the push pull pots and not sure if your trying to split the humbucker but if you are trying to split it then it looks wrong from my monitor.

I will try to digest it but hopefully someone with experience will chime in. I'm interested and it looks like you will get more tones. Good luck

4. Steve Holt

I had the same thought. It looked funky to me. What I did was copy a few different diagrams that accomplished all the pieces of what I was going for. And then tried to blend them together.

Screenshot_20210418-215020_Gallery.jpg

So this is what I found to do volume volume master tone. It's a bit different because it looks like they're using the middle pot to do the neck volume which doesn't seem as intuitive as using the first pot. So I switched that around. But then I just copied the wiring they had for the tone pot. Which confused me. I'm getting a lot better at wiring but I'm still in the just knowing enough to be dangerous phase. I can only diagnose and fix it if it makes sense to me. And that didn't make sense so I just left it.

5. Renown

Renown TDPRI Member

Yep, that tone pot? Still looks wrong. One leed should go to the wiper or middle terminal. Otherwise it's not doing anything.

I've gotten support from stewmac. I would check with them. Also, they should have a schematic for your push pull pots.

6. Steve Holt

Here's what stewmac has for a coil "cut" though from reading it seems coil splitting and coil tapping aren't the same, so I'm not sure what a coil "cut" refers to in their minds

Screenshot_20210423-110030_Chrome.jpg

I copied my wiring (which is similar to this diagram but slightly different) from a YouTube video that walked through coil splitting. He used the same pots I'm using and I went with the same lugs he used for everything.

7. rigatele

rigatele Tele-Afflicted

VR3 is fine, assuming the shaft gets grounded through the shielding - it will work but it's not the most reliable... the case should be connected to system ground with a jumper instead of just relying on the roundabout ground through the shaft bushing. Same with VR2.

8. Renown

Renown TDPRI Member

I agree rigatele, VR3 is fine. When resistance decreases, the tone bleeds thru the cap. It looked weird to my foggy mind.

9. Steve Holt

Thanks for the help! Yeah I don't have all the grounds put in yet, but I'm notorious for grounding more than needed than not enough. I had a all three pots grounded together in an earlier draft, but in cleaning it up and making look pretty I took it off and haven't added it back in.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.