Would a Historic Gibson make you sell your standard?

eclecticsynergy

Friend of Leo's
A "Guitar Trader" Les Paul of Red Bank, circa '82- '83. Unless the standard I already own is a '58, 59', or '60.
A Guitar Trader pre-Historic is the undisputed favorite out of my current twelve Les Pauls. Been my #1 since the day I brought her home in '83.

When the Standard-80 that was my main gigging LP suffered a bad headstock break (a roadie yanked on a mic cable they'd run behind its guitar stand), I went to 48th St and picked out an actual '58 burst for myself at We Buy Guitars. Negotiated a pretty good price: $4K (cash only) including the original case and taxes. But somehow my then-fiancee talked me into spending the money on a Celica GT for her instead. What a chump, right?

So ordered this from Dave at the Guitar Trader and played my KM Standard for a couple of months while waiting for Gibson to come through. It seemed like forever, and I'll never forget the day I drove down and picked her up, or the first time with her onstage.

Remarkably lively and almost startlingly responsive. Not super flamed, but perfectly bookmatched and nicely 3-D when lit at the right angle.

She's showing some wear now. But her scars were earned in battle.
I named her Amaterasu.

This one shows off her top a little better

Intubator

Tele-Afflicted
Bawlmer, Merlin- Home of the "Mayor Shuffle"...
Lovely Guitar Trader there, congratulations! I have a couple, one is a late production with a mid 40's serial number (last one was #48) and a Guitar Trader "Special" which only about ten were made in a batch after the first 48. The standard Guitar Trader has the closest real '59 burst dimensions of any Les Paul I've ever played. The first 15 were actually made with NOS PAF's.

eclecticsynergy

Friend of Leo's
Lovely Guitar Trader there, congratulations! I have a couple, one is a late production with a mid 40's serial number (last one was #48) and a Guitar Trader "Special" which only about ten were made in a batch after the first 48. The standard Guitar Trader has the closest real '59 burst dimensions of any Les Paul I've ever played. The first 15 were actually made with NOS PAF's.
Nice. And pretty amazing to have two! Did you have a connection to Dave or Tim?

On my Moderne the serial is the production number. Somehow I'd never realized that on the Guitar Traders (except the prototype, I guess) the last two digits are the production #.

Always wondered about those specials. Is there a slight 'cutout' outline surrounding your Gibson inlay? Mine has that and I've sometimes wondered whether it might be one of the extra batch. Had to wait five months for it to arrive; picked it up at the store in August '83.

It's rumored that three were given 1960 serials and that there was one lefty version made also. Info about these is pretty scarce.

pippoman

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter