Would a 2007 '52 AVRI Finish Do This?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Texicaster, Dec 13, 2019.

1. Texicaster

Texicaster Tele-Holic

¡Bueno!

Buddy in CA asked me about this listing on CL:

https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/msg/d/costa-mesa-fender-telecaster-52-avri/7020125672.html

Here's one of the photos of the finish coming off in clumps like I've seen on Bajas. I thought the AVRI were all nitro and will nitro flake like this? Looks like thick poly and NOT an AVRI....

Closer look has me wondering if it's even a Baja at best... that neck....

What do you think? I'm saying pass and run away!

avri.jpg

2. ScottMosesMurray

ScottMosesMurray TDPRI Member

Doesn't matter what it is . Finish is defective, run unless you want to strip it. You don't.

EsquireBoy likes this.
  3. Texicaster

Texicaster Tele-Holic

Well I mean it's indicative it's not a nitro finish so not an AVRI unless they used thick poly which I am not sure of but doubt.....IF they did and an other wise legit '52 AVRI $1000 not a bad spot to haggle down from.... I just don't buy it though.

4. jfgesquire

jfgesquire Tele-Holic

Touring guitar beat up like that? Frets are probably shot, too. That thing is disgusting, not mojo.

Even my Classic Vibe Squier looks better than that. Are those vintage re issue crooked ferrules in the back, too?

In fact, that may be a Classic Vibe body with thick finish chipped off. with a Fender neck and a few other parts.

There's a beat up AVRI on Reverb as well with the finish chipped off, but not like that

You can find a beautiful one on Reverb right now for $1,300.00

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

5. AlbertaGriff

AlbertaGriff Tele-Afflicted

I believe the AVRI series prior to the change in 2012 used nitro over poly, so to my eye that guitar looks legit. It kinda looks like someone tried to see what would happen if they "reliced" it on their own, though.

I have an AVRI '62 Jazzmaster from 2002 and it barely shows any wear at all, despite being "nitro" and being played HEAVILY from 2002-2007. On the other hand, I have 2 guitars from the 2012-2017 AV series, and both have chips and checking already.

Omiewise65, Fretting out and jonnyfez like this.
  6. Bopcat

Bopcat Tele-Meister

It will do that. I have a ‘52 AVRI of that vintage. It slid off the couch and the upper bout hit a tile floor. A relatively small defect that looked like what’s in the photo.

7. deytookerjaabs

deytookerjaabs Friend of Leo's

It's legit.

And, yes, that era of ash bodied FMIC reissues got heavy poly base with lacquer over it. So are the new AO's with ash bodies.

I had an '02 AVRI for 2 years played the piss out of it and it looked new when I sold it. That above is what happens when they hit something real hard, not good. That said, only a defective example will start peeling like that, gross.

Good candidate for a lowball then home refin if the guitar plays well.

8. Bopcat

Bopcat Tele-Meister

The 5 digit serial number would go along with it being a ‘52 AVRI. I’m not sure what year I bought it new but my serial number is 46xxx.

9. gobi_grey

gobi_grey Tele-Afflicted

Looks legit. Talk em way the heck down, that thing has been abused. $5-600 at best. Could get a nice playing ugly tele for cheap. Then strip off the rest of the nitro and just leave the clear poly.

10. Bopcat

Bopcat Tele-Meister

I’d offer $500-$600 and just replace the body with one from Warmoth.

11. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

That finish is thick. I'd be stripping it all off and refinishing thin.

Jackroadkill likes this.
  12. jonnyfez

jonnyfez Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

That's legit but there must be half a dozen in that price range on Reverb in better shape.

13. fretWalkr

fretWalkr Tele-Meister

Wow, I've got the exact same story. I have a '52 AVRI bought new from GC. I laid it on the couch for a minute, new kitten was checking it out and the tele hit the tile floor hard. It has a ding by the jack just like these pictures.

Looks like the one in the ad has had a hard life.

14. tamer_of_banthas

tamer_of_banthas Tele-Meister

your initial gut reaction seems correct. that looks like some kind of polyurethane finish to me sir.

hemmings likes this.
  15. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

No they were not.
    They were and still are a poly finish with a nitro top coat.
    The closest they got to an all nitro finish was with their Pure Vintage series.

Omiewise65 likes this.
  16. sonny wolf

sonny wolf Friend of Leo's

Based on the color it is a AVRI 52...the Bajas were not the same amber blonde color(they were a lighter yellowish blonde).The AVRIs of that era had a polyester undercoat with nitro sprayed on top so that one probably had an issue with how the polyester was applied and is now chipping in large chunks.I have owned several AVRIs with the same paint process(nitro over poly)and have never experienced this with mine so this one here is the one oddball you might occaisionally encounter.If you don't mind the likelihood of more chipping then it is a fine guitar to play but if that bothers you then look elsewhere.At $1000 it is not really a bargain anyways.

17. Tezuka27

Tezuka27 Tele-Holic

My CV50s Butterscotch Tele (2011) lost finish exactly like that, and was pure THICK poly. I ended up taking it all down to the bare wood - the undercoat was almost impossible to get off - and adding a top binding and redoing the thing in Shell Pink nitro.

jb

18. HotRodSteve

HotRodSteve Friend of Leo's

My 2013 '52 Hotrod does that too. If you look at it funny the body finish chips.

19. Turtleneck

Turtleneck TDPRI Member

My '52 reissue had a "glass" like finish on it like this guitar. I actually liked the guitar and it sounded great , it just looked TOO good for my tastes.

It looked too perfect, I had it for years and could never "play it in" so I sold it.

20. Paul45

Paul45 Tele-Meister

I stripped my 2005 AVRI Strat body a while ago. The top coat of nitro is very thin and came off quickly with acetone. Under that was about a 2mm shell of polyester sealer/undercoat.
    It took ages to strip completely. I wish I'd taken some photos to show just how thick that undercoat was.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.