Worthy Non-Fender T-style Guitars?

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by FenderGuy53, Jun 26, 2019.

1. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Poster Extraordinaire

I like the feature set/colors (Irish Ale or Surf Green) AND price point of the latest iteration of the G&L Tribute ASAT Special, BUT...

are there other worthy t-style guitars with a *similar configuration and price point?

*6-saddle modern bridge, 9.5" neck radius, medium jumbo frets, single-coils in both positions.

Thanks, guys.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2019
    FRESHMEAT likes this.
  2. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

9.25 radius is not a thing as far as I know. 9.5 is, partscasters are the best way to get a nice tele for a good price imo. You can finish them in any color you want too.
    Other than that Nash make a nice tele, MJT. These are still basically partscasters but they assemble and finish them for you for additional cost.

When you think about it Fender and G&L are not much different from partscasters.

3. BryMelvin

BryMelvin Tele-Afflicted

The only non fender "tele" I own is a Hohner professional TE 12. They are nice if you can find one and need a 12 string!

4. gkterry

gkterry Tele-Meister

Reverend Eastsider, the Pete Anderson signature model, is a fantastic playing, sounding and feeling guitar. Perhaps the smoothest and best neck among my herd of Teles. The Eastsiders actually come in 3 distinct models with that familiar Tele-ish body: T - 2 pickups and hardtail, S - 3 pickups and tremolo bridge and the slightly large scale baritone model.

marcflores likes this.
  5. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Tele-Holic

FenderGuy53 likes this.
  6. Norris Vulcan

Norris Vulcan Tele-Holic

These get a lot of likes:
    [​IMG]
    Yamaha Pacifica Mike Stern signature model

7. Sparky2

Sparky2 Friend of Leo's

I have become fond of the Austin guitars.

In fact, even though I own two hand-built Teles (made for me by local craftsmen), I have been picking up my Austin AU962 Era ’62 Professional Deluxe a lot lately.
    :)

Austin Tele 3.JPG

8. FenderGuy53

Duh. My bad. You're right. 9.5" neck radius. I was preoccupied. I posted while prepping for my colonoscopy this morning.

Yep. This I understand, but aren't those iterations priced much higher than a new G&L Tribute ASAT Special?

Fender, perhaps, at $675, but...

the Tribute ASAT Special's $499 retail price tag (less, if you consider MF's current "15% off" 4JULY promo) seems to offer alot of T-style goodness for not alot of $$$!

Les Paul lover and Chunkocaster like this.
  9. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Those prices are cheap, it would be hard to assemble a decent partscaster much cheaper than that. The MJT, Nash options are way more expensive. getting up to $1200 to 2k range. You do get nitro, premium pickups etc though. Depends on what you want I guess.

The most important thing for me is the neck and a nice Allparts unfinished neck can be had for $109 bucks plus shipping. The guitar would still run up around the $500 to $600 minimum though if using kluson, brand name pickups, hardware.

I spent a bit more for a fancy neck on this recent one but the guitar came in at around $700 completed.
    Dimarzio chopper t and twang king, Fender bridge with Wilkinson brass comp saddles, Kluson supreme staggered nickel tuners, series/parallel switching. Allparts roasted flame neck and a cheap mic CVC double bound alder body. I bought two of these bodies from china ebay for just over $100 bucks delivered. I built another tele with the second body I plan on painting over it in a custom color.

The downside to partscasters is you don't get much for them if you sell, I don't sell them though. I put them together to play and keep. Often selling my Fenders and replacing them with partscasters to pay bills save a few bucks if needed.

Brand names are irrelevant imo, it's the specs, tolerances and sum of all the parts and setup that matter.

20190429_203403.jpg
    20190429_203436.jpg

10. aging_rocker

aging_rocker TDPRI Member

True!

I think that was Leo's dream, to be able to build instruments easily, repeatably and to a price point, so Fenders were 'partscasters' from day one, IMHO.

The quality of the parts/woods used, and the attention to detail and skill involved in the setup are the main differences between the 'builders' these days.

Chunkocaster likes this.
  11. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I had one of those!
    Nice guitar!
    I’m going to second the nomination of the Yamaha Mike Stern model,
    for a cool Tele alternative.

12. FenderGuy53

Thanks for the link, Mark Morfei. I think I recall looking at these awhile back, but something about them cooled me off.

I'll revisit. Thanks!

...Just revisited! Makes my short list. Wow!

13. FenderGuy53

Will check 'em out. Thanks!

Checked 'em out. Way too rich for ME!

14. marcflores

marcflores Tele-Meister

I second this. I love my Eastsider T. It's a lot of guitar for not a lot of money (locking tuners, roasted maple neck, treble bleed in the volume pot, phase switch in the tone pot, etc.).

15. rangercaster

rangercaster Friend of Leo's

Play em all ... The right guitar will find you ...

16. FenderGuy53

Agree 100%!

Chunkocaster likes this.
  17. ifallalot

ifallalot Tele-Afflicted

Nash makes great ones

hemingway and TeleTown like this.
  18. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's

DavidP likes this.
  19. FenderGuy53

YIikes! Way too rich for ME!

20. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

I'm also loving my Reverend Eastsider T - it's more scratch than the G&L Tribute but a nicer guitar with some nice features. Going to play mine tomorrow at a show. I will eventually change the pickups, the ones in it are very good but my tastes run to a little hotter bridge and something other than a tele neck pickup.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.