1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Worthwhile inexpensive modulation pedals to have? Chorus etc...

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Chimey1, Feb 27, 2021.

1. Daddy Hojo

Daddy Hojo Friend of Leo's

I'm not a fan of modulation (other than tremolo), so I got one of those multi-thingies that does almost everything. The Coral Mod 2 by Valeton. It does some things okay, but some of the settings are completely useless. The vibrato setting is killer though. You kinda have to change the depth/rate settings each time to get the best on any of the almost 20 effects.

2. richbike

richbike Tele-Meister

interesting. i got the behringer ultra trem and didnt like it. i found the wave shape went from square to very slightly less square. i also got axl fifties trem which has much better range.

3. Chimey1

Chimey1 Tele-Meister

EDIT: I hope this helps, I figured out what my problem was with the Rowin Analog Chorus clipping. USER ERROR!! I feel awful (and dumb) and will try to go back to edit my previous Rowin Chorus posts.

I was running it AFTER my Joyo American Sound direct to recording interface. I'm thinking, apparently, (DUH!!) the American Sound HAS to be last...because that's where the cabinet sim is. So, the reverb pedal has to go into the AS too? Hmmm....so the clipping I was hearing was the utter craptastic sound of playing thru no cabinet. Ugh.

I just instinctively set up all my modulations and reverb after the American Sound because that's how the chain is setup in my BOSS GT100 - mods after the preamps. But, apparently the cab is always at the end of the chain (makes sense) in the GT100, separate from the preamp, even tho the cab menu is linked to the preamp in the middle of the chain.

4. 65 Champ Amp

65 Champ Amp Tele-Afflicted

Check out the original made in china mini pedals from Danelectro.
    Three that are a ton ‘o fun, and pretty highly regarded as to their sound, are the Tuna Melt Tremolo, the Chicken Salad Vibrato, and the Fish ‘n Chips Eq.
    But in general, I agree with the post above saying you’ll generally get better sound and quality buying old used Boss, DOD, etc.

northernguitar and Junco Partner like this.
  5. Richie Cunningham

Richie Cunningham Tele-Afflicted

Is the MXR Analog Chorus cheap enough?

northernguitar likes this.
  6. northernguitar

northernguitar Friend of Leo's

Yup, and it’s a great pedal.

Richie Cunningham likes this.
  7. kafka

kafka Tele-Afflicted

I don't like chorus or flanger. They just sound out-of-tune to me. I like a Leslie and a nice milky phaser.

Maguchi likes this.
  8. bcorig

bcorig Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I K.I.S.
    Guitar, Tuner, Wah, OD (TS9 reissue), Chorus, Reverb, Tremolo, Looper, Amp
    I find a touch of chorus pleasing. I know not all do.

9. EugeneWeemich

EugeneWeemich TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

Bought a JHS Series 3 chorus. I like.

The Zoom G1X is about $100 and is loaded with effects. a good pedal for headphone practice.

last pedal is the keeley dark side. fuzz on the right side, and left side has rotary, phaser, flange, univibe, and tape delay. so, quite a few effects in one pedal.

10. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Poster Extraordinaire

Those were the days, when there were actual local music stores that would sell off old and used inventory cheap. Back in the 90's, I bought several pedals that way and also got some great deals on pickups, like a SD Seth Lover for $15. Today, at least around here, those kind of music stores are long gone so it's either overpriced+shipping online, overpriced at a pawn shop or overpriced at GC unless you get lucky at a garage sale. I hope there are better options where you live.

Maguchi likes this.
  11. Maguchi

Maguchi Tele-Holic

There are a couple of mom and pop music shops in the San Fernando Valley which is a suburb of Los Angeles where I live. You're right though, much fewer than in the '80s and '90s, sigh. There are still some mom and pop music shops spread around different parts of Southern California for someone willing to drive. Nowadays with the internet it is so easy for even a small shop to search for the value of a pedal or speaker cab, so deals are harder to find. However I did find a "Made in England" Marshall AVT4x12XA cabinet at a Sam Ash and was able to negotiate a price of $110. This is a slightly smaller 4x12 slanted cabinet with less expensive Celestion G12E-60 speakers. The speakers sound fine to me, and sometimes good deals can be found on replacement 12" speakers. Like Celestion G12T75s or Peavey and Carvin if looking for a cheaper model, if I get tired of the sound of these. Since Covid, and the extra time I have, I've been scouring music stores from Bakersfield to San Diego and found some deals. Marshall4x12F.jpg Marshall4x12plate.jpg

Last edited: Mar 6, 2021
  12. Cali Dude

Cali Dude Tele-Afflicted

I really like the Rotovibe. I still have the one that I gigged a lot with on the 90s-2000s. It can take a beating and still provide great chorus and rotary features with a click of a switch. It also is quite customizable. They aren't cheap, but they have a lot to offer.

13. BUG80

BUG80 Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

The thing with modulation pedals is that - for me - I would like to have them with the ability to set presets. Usually the type/amount/settings you need depend on the song. And the problem is that modulation pedals with presets are expensive and big, usually.

So as an alternative, what about a cheap multi fx like a zoom g1four? I have one at home and most its modulation effects sound great. I am seriously considering putting one at the end of my pedalboard too.

14. Thin white duke

Thin white duke Friend of Leo's

I agree 100 %, i can't stand mod. pedals that don't allow you to make presets, i have the Zoom g3 n in my pedalboard, the modulations but also delays and reverb sound very very good.

15. BUG80

BUG80 Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I guess you have "real" drive pedals in front of it? How is that working out for you? No issues with gain staging and stuff?

16. Thin white duke

Thin white duke Friend of Leo's

I don't have drive pedals at the moment, i use drives from the Boss-ms3 , it's got at least 3-4 models that i really like a lot, i'm more than fine with that at the moment, i can save presets with the ovredrive for each patch, very handy...

BUG80 likes this.
  17. Muttly

Muttly TDPRI Member

Earthquaker ghost echo for this kid.

18. Reivaj

Reivaj TDPRI Member

I you can
    If you can hunt a Ventura Vibe for a good price, I think you’ll be very happy and have a high quality selection of sounds ya your disposal. Plus the pedal is built like a brick (stereo in and outs, secondary function for the foot switch... very well thought out).
    The UniVibe is very good for a digital unit, seriously, and you have the 2 classic modes plus all shades in between via the Mix knob. Same knob allows for chorus sounds to pure pitch vibrato (a la VB-2) in the modern” mode.
    The Rotary, once you set it to your taste, is a joy.
    Just my opinion. It well worth’s skipping a little army of “I could have a chorus for just a bunch of quid” pedals and save a bit for a really solid one. It goes so well with the Eventides and classic analog pedals I Mix it with. Up there with the best.
    I also use it with synths :)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.