1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Worthwhile inexpensive modulation pedals to have? Chorus etc...

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Chimey1, Feb 27, 2021.

1. Tim S

Tim S Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Wow. After @waynereed ’s words of wisdom we can probably call this a /thread.

After getting a Donner Harmonic Square to get some faux 12-sting sound, I fell down the Donner rabbit hole and now have over a dozen of them. The end of my pedal chain has these Donner pedals: Golden Tremolo> Jet Convolution (flanger)> Tutti Love (Chorus) > Yellow Fall (delay)

(the flanger doesn’t get nearly the same amount of ON time as the others, but it is fun to use)

Cheap? Yup! But they sound great into the clean side of a Mesa.

Chimey1 likes this.
  2. Chimey1

Chimey1 Tele-Meister

Yes, great info, thanks everyone. As far as mod pedals...I should make some more specific threads going fwd but...

Do you have any clipping issues with the Donner Love Chorus? ie: Does it stay clean, (or does it breakup/distort at all?) when strummed or picked hard?

I'm on the fence whether to try the the Donner or the Mooer Ensemble King Chorus after having clipping issues with the Rowin Analog Chorus that seems to be the same pedal.

EDIT: I also realize, if I'm not more careful, I'm gonna need another power supply soon...those spots fill up quick, don't they!? ;) Lol

Thanks!

Last edited: Mar 4, 2021
  3. Tim S

The only clipping I get from my Tutti Love is when I’ve boosted the gain via pedals in front of it. If I plug my guitar (with moderate-powered humbuckers) directly into the Tutti and pick hard with the guitar volume max’ed, I don’t get any clipping.

Are you running your Rowin Analog Chorus in an effects loop or is it in front of your amp? (my test was done in front of the amp)

Chimey1 likes this.
  4. Chimey1

Chimey1 Tele-Meister

Thank you! That's good to hear. I'm hoping it was just a problem with that particular pedal. I tried it several different ways: One of which was in front of clean amp.

5. Chimey1

Chimey1 Tele-Meister

Btw, I do have a Mooer e-lady flanger coming...I'm gonna see how versatile it is to cover for chorus duties too...?? But really, I think I know, I'll need a real chorus for the subtler, prettier chorus sounds when I'm looking for those.

So, I may try the Donner Tutti Love Chorus or the Mooer Ensemble King Chorus. Is the general consensus they are the same thing?

northernguitar likes this.
  6. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Poster Extraordinaire

Was the Rowin Chorus like my Ammoon one (below)? I haven't notice that clipping issue with mine but it's common for these pedals to get different components and QC even though the SMT template is the same. Yes, tweaking around with the knobs is a pain on these tiny pedals. That's why I usually have my pedals on a desk instead of on the floor in my home office/practice room.

20210304_084837.jpg

Chimey1 likes this.
  7. Chimey1

Chimey1 Tele-Meister

No, it was this: (looks just like the Donner and Mooer)

upload_2021-3-4_9-7-48.png

8. Tim S

Here’s my rule of thumb for Donner anyway...

https://www.tonestart.com/ultimate-donner-guitar-pedal-clone-list/

Chimey1 likes this.
  9. Chimey1

Chimey1 Tele-Meister

Thanks for that. I looked for the Donner Jet Convolution flanger but couldn't find it for sale in the USA - (is it discontinued?) So, I ordered the Mooer e-lady.

And, out of curiosity, I just ordered the Mooer Ensemble King Chorus. Fingers crossed. Someone here said it was noisy but a YouTube comparison with several other higher priced chorus pedals have it one of the quietest. So, who knows...we'll see...

I do get a feeling I'm paying $15-$20 more than I need to for the Mooer's...

10. Festofish

Festofish Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

EHX all the way! You can get a lot of their classics for under $100 new and probably two used for that same $100!

Chimey1 likes this.
  11. northernguitar

northernguitar Friend of Leo's

The E-Lady is supposedly a copy of the EH Deluxe Electric Mistress, which is, IMO, the creamiest, chorus-y flanger, ever. All the Andy Summers ‘chorus’ work was actually using the DEM. It takes distortion very well.

Festofish and Chimey1 like this.
  12. Jack Clayton

Jack Clayton Tele-Holic

If you're looking for a dope chorus on a budget, (and you should be) you're not gonna do better than the danelectro cool cat. That thing is built like a tank, and sounds amazing. Almost like a CE-1. They typically go for around $50

Chimey1 likes this.
  13. Chimey1

Chimey1 Tele-Meister

I've read this and love his sound. So, I'm gonna do the right thing and hold off on the Mooer Chorus and try to make the E-Lady work for me. For now. This small budget board is getting away from me...;)

But, I do want a dope chorus on a budget....:D

northernguitar likes this.
  14. Festofish

Festofish Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I was gonna mention one of my all time faves! I’m glad you did! I’ve had the 18v twice.

Jack Clayton likes this.
  15. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Neither do I, but they're just shafts and you can put knobs on them, as I did here on the top rows.
    [​IMG]

Festofish likes this.
  16. northernguitar

For a set and forget it pedal, I totally agree. The Joyo Ironman pedals are kickass, but tweaking them is a PITA.

17. Maguchi

Maguchi Tele-Holic

I agree with several of the other posters that a used Boss is often more durable and better sounding than a new "cheap" pedal. Haven't found a better sounding chorus than the late 1980s made in Japan Boss CE-2 Chorus pedal I use. Boss still makes the CE-2, but I don't know if the new ones sound the same or not. For tremelo my favorite is the amp tremelo on a Fender '65 Princeton Reverb reissue, but when using a different amp, I love the sound of the Boss TR-2. I haven't used a phaser sound since grunge knocked hair metal off the charts. I love auto-wah and use an old Boss TW-1 T-Wah pedal. Got it for $20 at a parking lot sale of a local music store, works perfect. For rotary, my solution is not cheap by any means, but I found a dynamite deal on a fairly new Leslie G-27 rotating speaker cab and I love the sound of it. ModulationPedos.jpg 20210304_201439.jpg 20200901_153657.jpg

Last edited: Mar 4, 2021
    MyLittleEye and northernguitar like this.
  18. GearGeek01

GearGeek01 Tele-Meister

For $29.00 you just simply can't go wrong with the Behringer VP-1 Vintage Phaser (a clone of an older Electro-Harmonix box)
    https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/VP1phase--behringer-vp1-vintage-phaser-pedal

The sweep and sound in the VP-1 is actually really great and I am a total phaser snob...

--------------------------

As far as a chorus, just drive straight to the TC Electronic shelf and buy the Corona Chorus. It is probably one of the best sounding chorus pedals out there (after me A/B-ing about a dozen others)... $100 bucks and not as cheap as the Behringer stuff, but would me my go-to is I ever wanted another chorus on my board.
    https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Corona--tc-electronic-corona-chorus-pedal

---------------------------

Pretty soon the ONLY place you'll be able to get any Behringer/TC product will be Sweetwater and a couple other big box stores. Behrigner (who now owns TC Electronic) recently changed their distributorships and cut out literally every mom and pop store who (mostly) helped them get the name and product variety they have today. Now they will only be selling to a couple big box stores (Sweetwater is one of them).

Sucks that the mom and pops made Behringer who they are, now they cut their own throats and cut their lifeblood... I smell the end for Behringer, or something like that... The mom and pop store I work for used to order 50+ of every TC pedal on every order... How Behringer thinks they can survive with just a couple big box stores is beyond me... They typically don't have the quality built into them that would demand or deserve such a move...

I won't get into Gibson Brand buying Mesa/Boogie... as a lifetime Mesa player I cringe at the idea of whored-out now we'll make them in China and charge $10,000 for the entry level and now call it a "custom shop" amplifier... so does this mean we'll now have Epiphone "Inspired by Mesa/Boogie" Chinese and Indonesian tube amps ... LOL

Time to buy all the original Boogies on the used market as possible... Gibson's typical thing is to buy a brand, whore it out, then trash and destroy it... so... bye bye Boogies...

19. GearGeek01

GearGeek01 Tele-Meister

Before you get a new power supply, add up how many milliamps (mA) of power each pedal uses. This guy has a really good page with dozens of pedals and their current draw:
    http://stinkfoot.se/power-list

Certain pedals only use just a few mA of current (i.e. overdrives and fizzes and such only eat about 10mA or so), so you can get a daisy-chain cable and run several pedals off of one PSU output...
    https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PCS20A--boss-parallel-dc-cord-for-tu3-ns2

This ^^^ is an 8-way daisy, they also make a 5-way...

For some of my pedalboards I have just overdrive and a couple other pedals, and I use a Trutone 1Spot Combo... about as cheap as buying the BOSS cable ^^^^... these produce a total of 1700mA
    https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/1SpotComboPk--truetone-1-spot-combo-pack

Chimey1 likes this.
  20. northernguitar

Behringer ain’t going anywhere. Jeepers, they have a ‘city’ in China. It’s the mom and pop shops that are done, hence why Behringer is dumping them.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.