1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Worthwhile inexpensive modulation pedals to have? Chorus etc...

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Chimey1, Feb 27, 2021.

1. Chimey1

Chimey1 Tele-Meister

These new inexpensive pedals are popping up so quickly now it's hard to keep up. What's everyone using that they're happy with today?

Chorus, Rotary, Trem, Phase...etc? I'm leaning towards getting a Chorus to start, but if there's a must have modulation pedal that punches way above its weight for my budget board what is it?

Thanks!

Last edited: Feb 27, 2021
    EugeneWeemich likes this.
  2. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Poster Extraordinaire

I like trem, chorus and rotary, myself. Phaser is required equipment for Waylon stuff.

4pickupguy and Chimey1 like this.
  3. naveed211

naveed211 Friend of Leo's

Sounds like you don’t have one specific sound you absolutely want or need, more that you just want some mod options?

Try a Mooer Soul Shiver or Mod Factory. I like Mooer overall, some sounds are better than others, but it’s a good taste tester and all-arounder for cheap.

Chimey1 likes this.
  4. 41144

41144 Tele-Afflicted

What sort of stuff do you like playing Chimey1?

60s blues/rock-blues a rotary/vibe is essential imo.

Chimey1 likes this.
  5. Chimey1

Chimey1 Tele-Meister

Yes, 60s-80's typical classic rock. I'm looking for specific pedal recommendations. What brand/model Chorus pedal? Which Rotary/Vibe pedal?

I've been looking at the Mooer stuff, will look more, thanks! Joyo, Caline, Donner? This is what I have so far:

Caline Pure Sky>Orange Burst>Joyo American Sound>Donner Revecho.

6. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

I personally have had bad experiences with the reliability of those super cheap pedals. I recommend you get an old scuffed up Boss or MXR pedal instead for just a little more money.
    I'm a big fan of my Boss tr-2 tremolo pedal as that's the only modulation tone I really care much about. I also have an EHX Small Stone which is a phaser-to-flanger sound that can get really trippy if you want it to. Also can be had pretty cheaply.

7. Alex_C

Alex_C Tele-Meister

Joyo's stuff is inexpensive and usually sounds pretty good. The earlier switches were a weak spot according to some.

ricardo1912 likes this.
  8. Bluego1

Bluego1 Tele-Afflicted

Be careful, Chimey. Little Donner boards grow;).
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Tim S, Coffeemutt and Chimey1 like this.
  9. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

Spot on. I have been burned trying cheap pedals that end up gathering dust and annoying me with their mere presence.

On one hand I would not spend hundreds on boutique pedals with names that sound like ice-cream flavours.

But it's worth spending a little more than cheap for something that will last a lifetime.

You buy cheap, you buy twice.

10. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Poster Extraordinaire

Here are some cheaper ones I've bought. Often these pedal circuits are found under multiple brand names (Rowin, Ammoon, Eno, Mooer, Azor, etc). These are usually available for under $50 in one form or another.

Rowin Trelicopter - Very good clone of the Demeter Tremulator. Also sold under the Mooer brand and others.

Rowin Ensemble Chorus - MN3207 based chorus. Decent chorus sounds from a very tiny pedal.

Rowin Phaser - MXR Phase 95 clone. Works pretty much like the MXR. Another tiny pedal.

Rowin Flanger - I'm not sure what this is a clone of but it's a good basic analog flanger.

Moen Jimmy Zero Vibrato - A good sounding vibrato pedal. The vibrato mode is kind of dark and sometimes you can hear a "thud" of the vibrato when you're not playing.

Tomsline Mod Station - A digital multi-modulation pedal. Most of the sounds are good enough but lack the fine adjustment of a dedicated pedal. I used this one on my business travel board.

Deadbeat Sound Modulation Station - Not really a cheap pedal although you can get the cheaper CoolMusic one for around $50. It is awful. Almost all of the sounds are over the top and can't be adjusted enough to sound close to decent.

Rowin Slow Hand - A clone of the Boss Slow Gear. Interesting, but really a one trick pony that you have to invest some time into learning.

Xive Singing AutoWah - A nice auto-wah pedal with two different modes.

Chimey1 likes this.
  11. 5stringsdown

5stringsdown Tele-Meister

The Digitech Ventura Vibe is a great pedal and currently $99!

zippofan, 4pickupguy and Chimey1 like this.
  12. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

If you're not a leaden-footed clumpenschtomper, the Behringer tremolo is very good. It's probably based on/pays homage to/is a rip-off of a Boss unit. Rate, depth and waveform options combine to give a very flexible, fine sounding tremolo. Their Vintage Phaser is quite good, but it is a rip of a vintage circuit. Single control knob plus a tone switch ( sorry, mine's in a storage box at the moment ). OK for vintage phaser sounds though. Metal chassis. EHX Small Stone clone, I think.
    Thanks to the less than stellar reputation of Behringer in general, their pedals sell for postage + gratuity second hand. Sound wise, there are some really good pedals in their range. Some stinkers too, but that applies everywhere. The plastic chassis models are tougher than Internet echo chambers would have you believe.

Joyo make some good models. Danelectro make better. The original Cool Cat Chorus ( 18V ) is all the chorus you need. You may want more, but you don't need more. The 9V model is pretty good too. Their FAB range of plastic punch way above their price point, sound wise. The Danelectro range is vast and confusing.

13. Chimey1

Chimey1 Tele-Meister

I'm looking at the Mooer Ensemble King Chorus. I like having a level knob. Anyone have it, like it and still use it? I have read some people love it and some have probs with it..?

Btw, I used to have one of those pretty purple Ibanez CS9 stereo Chorus pedals in the 80's that I thought sounded great! I ran it into a clean Roland JC77 2×10 stereo chorus with a Boss SD1 with the Roland amp chorus turned off, oddly enough, because I liked the Ibanez better and it was quieter. :)

P.s I may, eventually trade some of these cheap pedals out and spring for the expensive stuff again (and, I may not if they work for me) But, I'm having fun trying this cheap stuff out and seeing what works for me within a budget right now.

I know...pay once... maybe I'll learn eventually...;)

14. wulfenganck

wulfenganck Tele-Afflicted

I have a ZCAT Q-Mod, which is a trem, phaser, flanger, chorus with the add of a reverb.
    I have it oin my session-board with a setting that astoundingly works for phaser and flanger and with a slight knob turn with the trem. I never use chorus, but it does sound like one. I add just a wee bit of reverb and have quite a "swiss knife" for jams.
    I bought it second hand for about 100,- Euro, it's about 135,- euro new, but I'd say it's worth it.

I got a Keeley Monteray on my main board and it has very nice rotary and vibe sounds. Not using the auto-wah much, but i do use the fuzz for some extra madness when stacking it with amp overdrive. Of course it's rather boutique, but again, it's worth the money, I was lucky to get it for 250,- Euro secondhand.

THe modulation I use the most is probably the Tremolo in my Strymon Flint. Again, not really low-budget, but you get excellent reverb and excellent tremolo sounds in one pedal. It seemed like a bargain to me - but again, I was lucky to get it secondhand for about 270,- IIRC. There is a reason why it's not flooding the secondhand market.....

I had a Mooer Mod Factory, but that was pretty much unusable, there was not one effect that really convinced me. It's cheap - and it does sound exactly like that - cheap. It's around 78,- Euro and each one is a waste of money.

I do like the Mooer Soul Shiver with Chorus, Vibrato and Rotary. It's not as good as a good Chorus-, Vibrato- or Rotary-pedal, but it does do enough wobble for some nice psychedelic extravaganza. And it's only around 68,- Euro, so I'd call it a bargain.

Chimey1 likes this.
  15. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

This is the best pedal deal I've bought. The Donner Alchemy was $39 new and every thing on it is good. It's sturdy and the controls have good effect also. I bought another one for my acoustic board! I prefer the Tremelo in my Alchemy to my Fender amp Trem.
    You may find a used one, but if you cant, then the Blue Mod Core Nux is the same thing..... but more $.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 27, 2021
    Jowes_84 likes this.
  16. Willie Johnson

Willie Johnson Tele-Holic

I got rid of my modulation stuff, bit I have a real hankering for a Boss panning trem. I do a two-amp setup (two Princetons, both with tremolo), and being able to ping-pong between the two would be sooo lush.

17. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

For me, trem is #1, followed by phase/flange for Waylon/EVH . Vibrato/rotary can be fun for comping the organ part in Green Onions
    Chorus is the devil

Anyway yeah, just look at the usual suspects- Donner, Mooer, Mosky, older Danelectro stuff, etc

18. DeepDangler

DeepDangler Tele-Meister

I had a similar experience buying different micro pedal off brands on Amazon. Mooer and Donner specifically. Felt rugged but only lasted a couple months.

Behringer has the best game in town for cheap pedals. They’re plastic Boss imitation series sounds amazing and each pedal is on 20-30 on Sweetwater. They also own TC electronics and you can get more rugged effects for 40-100. That’s the best deal in town IMO.

Personally, I’m a Boss fan and will take a chewed up pedal from them over anything new at the same price. My CE5 was picked up used with chipped paint and actual mud embedded into parts of it and it works fine outside of a broken LED.

Maguchi and Chimey1 like this.
  19. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

I've had good and bad Behringer pedals, to be sure. But I won't be getting any more.

20. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

The used prices seem higher than a new Nux. Could it be that Donner stopped production from a cease and desist order from Nux?

I’ve had a Donner Yellow Fall for well over a year and it’s fine. In fact, I like it better than the $200 Belle Epoch.

Tim S likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.