1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Worth upgrading SF Champ Speaker?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by mgridgaway, Apr 6, 2021.

1. mgridgaway

mgridgaway TDPRI Member

Hey folks,

Got myself a 79/80 Vibro Champ last week and I want to hear your thoughts on new speakers. I’ve narrowed my options down to the Jupiter 8SC, Warehouse 8GC, Jensen C8R, and a Weber 8SigS Alnico (so basically all the ones everyone recommends under $50).

I noticed that my amp has one of the later ceramic Oxfords, a 8CJE-1, and not the typical tiny alnico found in earlier amps. Is it still worth upgrading? The speaker is in fine shape.

2. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

How does it sound? If $50 is not a big deal, take a chance and try any of them. Speakers are interchangeable. Just make sure to keep the original, box it up nicely and put it away for the day it's time to sell.

3. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

I put an Emi 820H in a SF Champ, I liked it, but frankly, even if I hooked up two 15" + 12" to the Champ, it didnt get much cleaner sound when pushed.

4. scook

scook Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Definitely worth it if you can find something you like.

I have a SF Champ with a Jensen and a VibroChamp with an Eminence. It’s nice to have variety and get the sounds you’re seeking.

SF Champs are great amps.

5. muscmp

muscmp Tele-Afflicted

welcome to the tdpri!!

if you've only had the amp for a week, i'd give it a while before you go changing things. get used to it first and then decide what you may or may not wish to change. i have a 76 champ and 75 vibro champ with original oxford and they sound great to me. i also have a 59 princeton that had a 65 oxford in it and it sounded terrible so i changed to a weber alnico and it now sounds great.

play music!

Nelg, black_doug and Wally like this.
  6. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

I want to hear that Emi 820H. Muchxs suggested that speaker for Champs. The best speaker I have heard, albeit in a 5F1 tweed Champ, was a vintage Jensen P8RS....bigger magnet than the P8R that Fender used back in the day.

7. King Fan

King Fan Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Super advice I got from a top pro and really like in my VC: Fat Jimmy C825, a custom/collaboration version of the WGS 8.

But right now the Fat Jimmy website notes with Covid, WGS can't supply them with magnets. Still, they were hoping to resume production in April, so those looking might contact them.

8. J. Bonkosky

J. Bonkosky Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I like the ceramic Oxford a lot. I have used the Jupiter, Weber ceramic 8”, and the Warehouse ceramic 8”. I don’t hear a ton of difference between those three to be honest. They will be louder than the stock speaker and significantly clearer sound wise.

9. kafka

kafka Tele-Afflicted

The original SF Champ speakers were just horrible. If you can see putting a 10" baffle in, almost any speaker will do better, and it will definitely open up some possibilities.

scook and black_doug like this.
  10. mgridgaway

mgridgaway TDPRI Member

Thanks for the advice everyone.

Most of the speakers are out stock anyway so I figured I’d wait a while before upgrading. Was mostly just trying to figure out what the general consensus on the ceramic oxfords were since when most people reference how bad the speakers are they’re talking about the alnico ones. It sounds good! But maybe lacks a little clarity?

11. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

Like the Jensen.
    Tried a big mag named brand..did not like
    went back to Jensen
    ps..most alnicos I could not get to fit

12. Jay Jernigan

Jay Jernigan Tele-Afflicted

I would definitely play it a while before changing anything. Improvement is an abstract concept.

AlbertaGriff and Drew617 like this.
  13. snottyboy

snottyboy Tele-Meister

I feel speaker upgrade is a must with these. Weber 8a125 (pricey) for me, but great little pedal platform and home amp. Do search of this forum, lots of prior discussion.

14. Bob Womack

Bob Womack Tele-Afflicted

I seem to remember that they use a 3.5 ohm speaker and a typical 8 ohm speaker won't sound right. Can anyone confirm that for me?

Bob

SnidelyWhiplash and Wally like this.
  15. SnidelyWhiplash

SnidelyWhiplash Friend of Leo's

WGS G8C.

16. Wally

Yes, Bob, a Champ needs to see a 4 ohm load.

BobbyZ, SnidelyWhiplash and Gunny like this.
  17. 65tinbender

65tinbender TDPRI Member

I put a Weber 8A100 in my ‘77 VChamp.
    It sounded ok but still a little small.
    Started running a Timmy and a Keeley Memphis Sun in front and it got bigger and better!

18. Wally

Ime, if a BF/SF Champ/Vibrochamp/Bronco amp is biased to dissipate 16-18 watts of plate dissipation....yes, beyond 100%...and the amp is turned up beyond halfway, they sound just fine with the original speaker. At those settings, one has very lively and rich cleans and good overdrive at the same volume due to the compression factor.

muscmp likes this.
  19. DavidP

DavidP Friend of Leo's

+1 on WGS8C!

SnidelyWhiplash and DADGAD like this.
  20. DADGAD

DADGAD Friend of Leo's

I used to prefer an 8" alnico in Silverface Champs. Recently, a customer asked me to install a WGS8C in his amp while doing some other work. It sounded amazing! If I ever get another Silverface Champ, I'll be putting a WGS8C in it.

SnidelyWhiplash likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.