Worth reconing???

Discussion in 'Amp Tech Center' started by jonrpick, Apr 9, 2014.

1. jonrpick

jonrpick Friend of Leo's

I have a vintage, what appears to be Eminence 12" speaker that came in my Ampeg Gemini I. It's not the original speaker. It rattled like crazy when you approached the low "A" note on any guitar.

It had an aluminum dust cap like a JBL, silver (raw) frame with 4 holes and a small horseshoe magnet that I assume to be alnico. 8 ohm...

It had a stick on the magnet that said "Sunn Guitar Transducer", but when I pulled it off I saw the 87xxxx stamped into the magnet.

Either way, it was rattling around in the back of my van and the dog decided stand on it during the ride. She pretty much ripped the cone right out of it. I assumed it was a goner anyway, so no loss...

But does anyone have experience with them? Is it worth reconing? I have a shop nearby that recones. It looks just like the ones in the attached pic.

Attached Files:

2. tele12

tele12 Friend of Leo's

I would say give it a shot. Looks cool and vintage.

3. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

FYI, jonrpick, that Eminence code will start with '67'...not 87.
    Those sepakers came stock in the Sunn 1200S...and mayabe in other Sunn amps of that time. I know becasue I had one of those amps....4 x 6550 and 6 X 12 cab. A beast. I had to have two of them reconed. IF I had had to recone all 6, I might have---read: would have---had them reconed with something other than a metal dust cover. I don't care for distortion on those metal covers. Imho, anold Alnico speaker is always worth reconing.

4. jonrpick

jonrpick Friend of Leo's

Thanks Wally, it may be 67 instead of 87. It's hard to read, but I was also typing from memory and didn't have it in front of me.

Did Sunn have their own line of drivers?

I figure if the local shop can recone it, it'll be nice to have an extra speaker on hand, plus give me another voicing option with the amp.

I've always heard about the aluminum dust cap + distortion. Maybe I'm glutton for punishment. I ran my friend's JCM800 on full tilt through my 2x15 Guild cab loaded with JBL E130s and LOVED it! :D

5. BryMelvin

BryMelvin Tele-Afflicted

Try your hand at reconing it's actually not hard.

6. jonrpick

jonrpick Friend of Leo's

What all is needed...? Glue? Not trying to be facetious, I'm actually legitimately curious...

7. HarveyTBirdman

HarveyTBirdman Tele-Meister

Some manufacturers will sell recone kits. It's pretty simple. Some cutting away the old spider and cone, making sure no crud gets in the voice coil recess by taping it up, scraping away the old glue from the frame and positioning the new cone, gluing and soldering.

Takes about 20mins the first time. Their are instructions somewhere on YouTube, if you can find the cone you need.

8. jonrpick

jonrpick Friend of Leo's

It is a 67 code... Eminence it is...

9. jonrpick

jonrpick Friend of Leo's

Talked to my local speaker shop by phone today. When I read off the numbers from the cone, the guy immediately said that it'd already been reconed by someone else, that it wasn't an original Eminence cone.

I've tried Googling the numbers off the speaker, but can't find any specs on what it was supposed to be.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.