Worst You've Been Called

lil scotty

Tele-Holic
“I’ve been called a whole lot worse, by a whole lot better,” is one of the greatest comebacks I’ve ever heard. It was uttered by a guy that we used to play soccer with. Sadly, he got banned from playing because he was always drunk and out of control. Sadly, too, his son suffers the same malady.

drumtime

Tele-Afflicted
I really try to avoid people that think it's OK to call another adult an insulting name, or get in someone's face over a trivial matter (Which most matters are, when you get right down to it.)

Come to think of it, I try to avoid most people.

McGlamRock

Poster Extraordinaire
I remember one time after playing a show, the sound guy (also a really good player), told me my sound was so compressed that it sounded like I was playing a farting duck. I think I was about 19 or 20, and I'm not sure if he meant for it to be hurtful, but it was.
It was right after I bought my first compressor, a CS-3, so the sound guy probably wasn't wrong...

suave eddie

Friend of Leo's
Reading through this thread I feel like a failure. I can't really think of any epithets hurled my way.

Actually I just remembered my mother's favorite for me was "You're despicable!"

giphy.gif

Harry Styron

Friend of Leo's
I’m saving this one that I saw in a book by Flann O’Brien:

“You are the death vomit of a leper.”

I can’t imagine what would provoke me to unleash this one, but watch your step.

papa32203

Tele-Afflicted
I have always hated being called "stupid", or "idiot", or any combination of those. Because I am not stupid, or an idiot. Obviously very subjective, but take my word for it...

I also remember being stung when I was informed that the mother of one of my best high school buddies had called me "spacey". I admit I was stoned a lot back then, but I was not spacey!

Flaps

TDPRI Member
I'm a secondary school teacher (11-19) i've heard it all, and if i've not heard it it's probably just because they didn't say it loud enough.

telemnemonics

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I really try to avoid people that think it's OK to call another adult an insulting name, or get in someone's face over a trivial matter (Which most matters are, when you get right down to it.)

Come to think of it, I try to avoid most people.

At work I'm happy to take on the foul mouths that are yelling at the front desk person over some dissatisfaction they are having.
I don't know why really, almost as if I make a potholder of myself to keep the thinner skinned from getting burned?
I wouldn't want to live with those folks but find some satisfaction in taking out their trash, so to speak.
If an adult has to have a temper tantrum, I' available for tantrum management!

Must go back to childhood or have some Freudian meaning?
It's not low self esteem, I handle them in ways that don't involve them calling ME names, always take them away from their offensive enemy under pretext of having solutions to offer.

Most of the time I have no solution but their primary need is to be heard and validated.

Come to think of it, those who frequently hurl insults at random innocents are probably suffering from a lack of self esteem and a sense of not being validated by their peers.
Oh hell what do I know?
Snake oil is all I got!

telemnemonics

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Actually I just remembered my mother's favorite for me was "You're despicable!"

giphy.gif

My Mother was a fine woman with an excellent vocabulary and vivid imagination, but in her youth she was a lousy judge of character in husbands.
I won't repeat who she called me in fits of temper.

drumtime

Tele-Afflicted
At work I'm happy to take on the foul mouths that are yelling at the front desk person over some dissatisfaction they are having.
I don't know why really, almost as if I make a potholder of myself to keep the thinner skinned from getting burned?
I wouldn't want to live with those folks but find some satisfaction in taking out their trash, so to speak.
If an adult has to have a temper tantrum, I' available for tantrum management!

Must go back to childhood or have some Freudian meaning?
It's not low self esteem, I handle them in ways that don't involve them calling ME names, always take them away from their offensive enemy under pretext of having solutions to offer.

Most of the time I have no solution but their primary need is to be heard and validated.

Come to think of it, those who frequently hurl insults at random innocents are probably suffering from a lack of self esteem and a sense of not being validated by their peers.
Oh hell what do I know?
Snake oil is all I got!

Not necessarily snake oil - It's good to be able to help someone find their way out of that kind of behavior, and very appreciated. Valuable skills.

I actually have a lot of training in interpersonal dynamics and communication skills, etc. myself. I can hang without taking it on myself, and be the one who listens til it gets worked out. I just don't have the energy or inclination these days. I'm at an age where each day has a lot more value, because there are fewer of them left.

Fuelish

Tele-Afflicted
foothills of the Great Smoky Mountains, east TN
Was it a test about the Heisenberg Principle?
View attachment 828872
LOL, no, orecchiette, it had to do with free radicals, and I couldn’t answer it well enough to be correct, so I thought it was funny.... free radicals, like radicals that hadn’t been imprisoned by the gov’t yet... the old bass turd failed to se the humor....f him, was still on the honor roll ... I and many classmates found it funny

MatsEriksson

Friend of Leo's
Overall I'd rather receive comments about being slim than being fat (after being overweight/obese for most of my adult life)
these days, believe me, it's the totally opposite, and I am like that too. Verging on obese, now... but don't get called names. It's a young, unseasoned, immature school thing, methinks.