1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Worst You've Been Called

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Old Deaf Roadie, Mar 4, 2021.

1. Tenderfoot

Tenderfoot Tele-Holic

I hear you. I was only a few minutes off the bus from the San Diego airport to NRTC (Naval Recruit Training Command), in the summer of 66, when a CPO (Chief Petty Officer) Red Board got in my face and screamed at the top of his voice that I was a (Censored) Worm"!

2. Viejo

Viejo Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I didn't even get out of Lindbergh Field before I got cussed out. Our plane was late and we missed the bus. They sent a PO2 over to pick us up at 2300 in a GMC Carryall. He was not a happy man and he let us know it. He cussed us out all the way to NRTC

3. otterhound

otterhound Poster Extraordinaire

I uncovered the log structure in my house , so I decided to gut the lathe and plaster and expose the logs . While doing this , I found out how bad the wiring was and did the rest . Anyway , about 3 years after the fact , I learned in casual conversation that the word going around town was that I had gone completely mad and was tearing my house apart 1 piece at a time . Ironically , no one asked me what I was doing . It was simply made up .
    Now , I never really heard anyone call me mad , but it apparently happened . I only wish that I could have been there to hear it .

SRHmusic and BobbyZ like this.
  4. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

i like to pronounce it 'heether ins' to add effect. it also adds effect to be breathing hard when saying it...

Try it, you'll see...

5. loudboy

loudboy Tele-Meister

James McMurtry has a lyric about his sister's boyfriend:

What went on up there 'course you had that boyfriend
    With the Chevrolet
    He never met Will Rogers
    I'd be willing to say, yeah it's safe to say
    He never met Will Rogers

3fngrs likes this.
  6. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Ahh, see, you guys are my mnemonic.

Maybe late '97 I was in a NYC holding cell built for 20 with maybe 40 other guys, none as white as me, and they pulled some of us out to finally see a judge. The courthouse has dungeons full of crooks and the courts run from 4am to 2am, just closing to sweep up the eyeballs crack pipes & blood.
    Anyhow, somebody in the next cell called me Jeffrey Dahmer, ironically though, asking me to hand him some food the guards had brought down but not distributed yet.
    Anybody ever had the bologna sandwiches they serve in NYC dungeons?
    Right out of the Fargo chipper, big grainy mystery chunks.

Long haired rock hippy?
    Isn't that a compliment?

Last edited: Mar 5, 2021
    Jakedog and Old Deaf Roadie like this.
  7. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

50 years ago, my band was walking past the bar with our equipment for a gig that catered to millworkers. We overheard some old guy say, "Another rock and roll outfit from mama's alley." At least that's how we heard it. The bass player and I have been laughing about that ever since. But we sure don't know what mama's alley was. We must have misheard that, but we don't know what else it could be.

Jakedog likes this.
  8. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

This particular specimen is in his 80's, refuses to retire, and hates everything post-1952, I think. The reason I burst out laughing is that he sounded like my wife's late grandfather, and I am 57, myself.

boneyguy and telemnemonics like this.
  9. 3fngrs

3fngrs Friend of Leo's

That's a good song. I really like McMurtry's work. One of my top...20? Maybe?

When people ask "What's Americana?" he's one of the ones I recommend, along with Ray Wylie Hubbard.

Jakedog likes this.
  10. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

When I lived in the UK, and was rather shaggy with a full beard, I walked past a construction site wearing this Pendleton plaid jacket ...

[​IMG]

And a construction worker yelled out, "hey, that's Grizzly Adams over there!" :lol::lol::lol:

tanplastic, telemnemonics and Jakedog like this.
  11. Minivan Megafun

Minivan Megafun Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

My previous workplace was very blue collar. Guys would rib each other and you had to have a thick skin because it was just part of the fun for them to really give it to you. When they started nicknaming me "Snacks" and making fat jokes I knew it was time to lose weight. So I lost 50 lbs and then they were making jokes about how I was going to blow away with the wind. lol

SRHmusic and MatsEriksson like this.
  12. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

When I wore a slightly more bright red Pendleton and looked shaggy, the Brooklyn drug dealers would get mad at me and demand I stay away until I changed into a less noticeable jacket.

During that era I commonly went a few miles on bicycle to the dealers, then the bike was stolen so I stole a frame off some front porch and put together another bike, but to hide the stolen frame I painted it canary yellow.
    Odd choice considering I was often chased and sometimes nabbed by to cops, so yellow was maybe a questionable color?

Hey I had my convictions!

boneyguy likes this.
  13. wulfenganck

wulfenganck Tele-Afflicted

Well.....I take that as a confirmation, that you ARE a goddam long haired hippie after all, so technically Statler & Waldorf only got the music wrong? Maybe he believes to be any music after Pat Boone to be jungle-noise.....That means he was only partially wrong and it WAS your fault to some extent!

14. chezdeluxe

chezdeluxe Poster Extraordinaire

Echo..echo..echo..echo.

15. MatsEriksson

MatsEriksson Tele-Afflicted

What about...Phil Collins-lookalike?

16. MatsEriksson

MatsEriksson Tele-Afflicted

Similar happened to me, although I didn't loose weight, I was already lanky and thin. And they told me not to stick out my tounge, because then I would lose balance and trip over...

17. Minivan Megafun

Minivan Megafun Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Overall I'd rather receive comments about being slim than being fat (after being overweight/obese for most of my adult life)

MatsEriksson likes this.
  18. wulfenganck

wulfenganck Tele-Afflicted

Mistaking a dutch for a german is indeed insulting (I'm german)

stinkey, koen and boneyguy like this.
  19. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Having visited both Netherlands and Germany, I think you are both lucky to live in the Netherlands and Germany!

telemnemonics, wulfenganck and koen like this.
  20. gimmeatele

gimmeatele Tele-Afflicted

After a career as a police officer I have probably been called everything you could possible be called, never bothered me, it's only words, but when my mum calls me Philip I know I'm in trouble!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.