1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Worst You've Been Called

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Old Deaf Roadie, Mar 4, 2021.

1. IanMoss

IanMoss Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

I was called a thief by a customer of a bank I used to work for (actually, a colleague and I were both accused of stealing).

^ In bank world that is as serious an accusation as it gets.

Bank protocol was always that 2 people had to be present when deposits were counted. Ideally the customer and a bank officer or, if not, then 2 bank officers. And larger deposits were always counted away from the main (public) counter. This guy ran a local business and his banking was frequently out. By that I mean they'd have a deposit slip for $4832.65, but only have $4676.90, or something like that.

So anyway this one day back in 1999, myself and a colleague were counting the deposit (the employee of the business had to drop and run) - and it was out... again.

Since this is repeat conduct and the customer (or employee thereof) isn't present to speak to, the Bank Manager calls the customer to explain that it is really not acceptable behaviour. But instead of mea culpa, this guy denies any wrongdoing and instead accuses my colleague and I of theft.

Without missing a beat my manager says: "if you make that accusation again, you'll be hearing from our lawyers".

Well that shut him up.

Paul Ellem (then Manager of the Byron Bay* Branch of the National Australia Bank), if you're reading this - thank you for having my back.

*Yes, where they hold the blues festival each year.

Fiesta Red, Mouth, GGardner and 3 others like this.
  2. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Pretty standard weekly gig. Everyone knows me. I designed & spec'd the system. In hindsight, it was likely because I said HE turned it off, instead of simply saying it had been inadvertently turned off. Can't expect anyone to take responsibility for themselves now, can we?

SRHmusic likes this.
  3. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Tele-Meister

I've been called a MFer.. by my M.

I can't say I didn't deserve it though. lol.

I laughed then, and I laugh now, thinking about it.

Fiesta Red likes this.
  4. Old Deaf Roadie

I played rockabilly for a good long while, and greaser was the preferred stage attire. Not going anywhere near drummer, though :D

Fiesta Red, drlucky and Manual Slim like this.
  5. Old Deaf Roadie

I got that one in high school music theory. Aced my tests & recitals, never did the homework. Apparently, educators frown on that.

Fiesta Red likes this.
  6. Manual Slim

Manual Slim Friend of Leo's

I wouldn’t have been at all fazed by being called greasy. GreasER? Tsk tsk.

7. CJM3309

CJM3309 Tele-Holic

At work, when dismissing a volunteer coach who was caught yelling/berating his team of 5/6th grade, recreational basketball players he announced I was a spineless jellyfish. Not bad, but isn't that a double negative or oxy moron or something. They are invertebrates after all. He proceeded to leave me threatening messages for 6 months after his dismissal. Weird situation

Fiesta Red, drlucky and getbent like this.
  8. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

Not having to deal with coworkers, customers, and general managers who don’t have a clue but still have too much to say is one of the greatest joys of retirement. The greatest joy is that every day is Saturday, followed by never having to set an alarm clock.

Fiesta Red and Old Deaf Roadie like this.
  9. graybeard65

graybeard65 Tele-Meister

My mother, may she rest in peace, called me a bastard once...and when I reminded her that her marital status at the time of my birth was her doing and not mine, things got interesting to say the least. I never brought THAT up again, lesson learned.

For many years, I drew blood in the emergency department here at the hospital...folks that had landed in the ED through their own drug and alcohol related follies can use some really creative words to communicate their displeasure at the situation that they've created for themselves. We take it all in stride, but it can be really interesting

Fiesta Red, SRHmusic and breadfreak like this.
  10. TheDavis

TheDavis Tele-Meister

I’ve been called and said such a ridiculous amount of crazy negative things in my life.
    This is currently something I use to my advantage. Turns out I’ve developed thick skin as they say. I don’t easily crack under pressure, I keep calm and poised in aggressive situations. This has translated to me being viewed as mature and displaying management and supervisory skills and my career finally starting to develop.

11. dlew919

dlew919 Doctor of Teleocity

satan apparently entered my heart when a bunch of people I called friends betrayed me. It’s a good go to I guess.

12. davidzferret

davidzferret TDPRI Member

Not really an insult, but I was in a classical ensemble some years back.

Now if I have to look like a stuffed shirt, I'd rather go full-dork and wear a white shirt and bow tie. However the majority decision was we'd wear all black.

After performing some of us are standing on the footpath when a guitar teacher comes out of the music shop down the street. As he walks past I hear him mutter "What's this, a Johnny Cash re-union?"

13. Masmus

Masmus Tele-Meister

I hadn’t been called names but a long time ago some clients started to treat my sound man poorly and I said pack it up we’re leaving. You have to take care of your crew.

One time I did see some one sitting at a keyboard and mic get a little feed back at a music in the park for a small town. They said “ Mr soundman ringy dingy, ringy dingy”. They were lucky I wasn’t doing sound.

Fiesta Red likes this.
  14. 39martind18

39martind18 Friend of Leo's

Congrats (?) in advance!

Fiesta Red and Randypttt like this.
  15. d barham

d barham Tele-Afflicted

I can only dream of being called a goddam long haired rock hippie. I work with cows. Today I had to pull a breech calf. I’m not sure what the cow was saying (speaking bovinese) but I’m certain it wasn’t complimentary.

16. philpm

philpm Tele-Meister

Damn, I'm glad I'm not the only one that happens to.

_MementoMori_ likes this.
  17. Chester P Squier

Chester P Squier Tele-Meister

When I was young, a young lady I had gone out with a few times referred to me as a "dingbat," and it got back to me (from her friend).

Looking back, I probably really was a dingbat at that time.

18. ab2012

ab2012 Tele-Holic

When I was a cop in nyc, I got called so many things in so many different languages that I just stopped trying to figure it out. Laughed a lot.

19. Dirty Dave

Dirty Dave Tele-Meister

Yep, I was also guilty of most of the things I was called.
    Maybe even guilty of some things I wasn't called.

DDickens likes this.
  20. davidge1

davidge1 Friend of Leo's

As my dad would have said... you can call me whatever you want, just don't call me late for dinner.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.