Worst Squier Ever Built?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by preactor, Sep 21, 2021.

1. stratisfied

stratisfied Tele-Afflicted

I had this 20th Anniversary Squier that was just a sweetheart. Great action, nice vintage pickups, nothing not to like.

[​IMG]

2. Blackmore Fan

Blackmore Fan Tele-Afflicted

That's a beautiful Strat! I've got to remember the black pickguard option on a Strat one of these days.

mkdaws32 likes this.
  3. Willie Johnson

Willie Johnson Tele-Afflicted

My Squier Standard Strat is like this one:
    [​IMG]
    it's a peach, and the only thing that would make it better would be a thicker steel trem block. If it were a hardtail with a skinny body and a single ply pickguard, though, it'd be even more vibey. I paid all of $139 for it.

mkdaws32, preactor and Blackmore Fan like this.
  4. Blackmore Fan

Blackmore Fan Tele-Afflicted

That's a beautiful Strat!

mkdaws32 likes this.
  5. preactor

preactor Tele-Afflicted

In the old days you didn't know what you had until it was in your hand. Today quality (or lack thereof) is more consistent.

6. cousinpaul

cousinpaul Friend of Leo's

I had a short scale VM Thinline that was pretty cheesy. Best thing about it was that it would take a standard 25.5 scale neck. Squier used extra long saddle adjustment screws to accommodate the short neck. A fat neck from Allparts and better electronics improved it quite a bit. Even so, it didn't turn out to be a keeper for me.

preactor likes this.
  7. erratick

erratick Tele-Holic

The indo squier vintage modifieds are usually good. But yeah. Thats the one I can think of off the top of my head. Other brands have not been as successful with the quality control. China has the same high variance problem as Indo, but the Chinese Classic Vibes were great.

I'd prefer Japan for sure, then Korea.

preactor likes this.
  8. Lucius Paisley

Lucius Paisley Tele-Afflicted

Probably the most disappointing, was this one...

upload_2021-10-5_2-57-30.png

Crafted in China, 2010 Affinity. Bought a year ago next week. $189.

Got it home. Volume pot was broken, post came out with the volume cap. No sound whatsoever.

Not that much of a big deal, was meant to be a partscaster project anyway. But even acoustically, I knew there was something worthwhile about it.

Went to Reverb, found a loaded pickguard from a 2002 Standard for around $90, and installed that. Took down the shine off the body.

upload_2021-10-5_3-8-46.png

Is good now.

preactor likes this.
  9. preactor

preactor Tele-Afflicted

They all just need a little love and a couple of tweaks.

Ron C likes this.
  10. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Poster Extraordinaire

'90s and '00s.

Roughly before that, they were quite good: on par with MIJ Fenders. Roughly after that, they are insanely good. But they weren't even trying to make them halfway decent in the period I mentioned.

When I say "good" and "decent," I am talking about things like general fit and finish, fret work, and nut work.

preactor likes this.
  11. jgwcaster

jgwcaster Tele-Meister

As a teen of the 90’s my parents bought me a “Strat pack”. A squire Strat in jet black, a little solid state amp, strap and instrument cable. I loved it and played it to death. It was also a terrible guitar. Never held its tune. It had to be made of plywood. It sure looked like that behind the plates and guards. Just about every screw stripped out on that thing. The tuners drove me crazy. Just as I brought the strings into pitch the tuner would ping and drop down in pitch. It was maddening. But I was also a dumb teenager. It was probably better that I had a guitar I could be overly hard on without much loss.

I was grateful for that first squire, but I have never been able to force myself to pick a squire back up. I know things are different now. But there is a piece of my mind that can’t help but look for flaws instead of good things in them.

I think this will come to an end soon. My son wants to play. I have offered to let him have access to my guitars, but he wants his own. I understand this. So I may have to sit down and really look at the good side of squire and overcome my own biases.

It’s awesome that his first electric will be leagues better than my first. But perhaps there is some value in wrestling just a bit with that first guitar.

preactor likes this.
  12. Danjabellza

Danjabellza Friend of Leo's

The Yamaha Revstar range is all made in Indonesia, with the exception of the flagship model which is made in Japan. But the whole line from the 820 down is made in Indonesia. I think the Pacificas are made there too. Great instruments.

preactor likes this.
  13. stratisfied

I always liked that model. The cherry sunburst and parchment guard on them was really nice.

preactor and Willie Johnson like this.
  14. stratisfied

Like an idiot, I sold it. I've never seen another one in that finish and it had a 20th anniversary neck plate on it. It played and sounded great but I had in my head I needed a "real" Fender.

preactor and Blackmore Fan like this.
  15. Willie Johnson

Willie Johnson Tele-Afflicted

Mine has a big, cool-looking knot in the butt end of the body, too. I put 500k solid shaft pots and brown cupcake amp knobs on it and decked the trem, but kept the rest stock--pickups on these are nice.

preactor likes this.
  16. Jazzerstang

Jazzerstang Tele-Afflicted

I had this REALLY cheap squier strat made in like 2003 bought new. It seemed to be a guitar center exclusive. I remember they were selling several of them for like $89 or $99 new. It wasn’t part of any particular line and the pickups were literally just cheap coils dipped in small blocks of wax. I can’t even explain it. It was definitely plywood and the neck was green wood. Absolute garbage and I’ve never seen another like it.

17. Ron C

Ron C Tele-Holic

You got my attention...which cheap clones are doing that?

18. spellcaster

spellcaster Tele-Holic

In 2006, I bought the first electric guitar I'd owned in about 5 years. I'd had a really bad experience in buying a MIM Fender Telecaster, so I ordered a red Squier Fat Telecaster. It turned out to be a MIIndonesia model. When I got it, I was dismayed with how heavy it was.....The heaviest turd I'd ever owned. I might have been able to learn to tolerate the weight, but I was totally unprepared to deal with the absolutely huge frets. No matter what I did and how ever lightly I played it, it sounded out of tune. I changed the strings to .011's, but it didn't help much. It was probably worst guitar I'd ever played since I'd bought my first Zenon in 1965. Fortunately, a guy at work wanted to buy a guitar for his kid and I managed to slough the MII Squier off on him and only lost about 100.00. It was many years before I took a chance on another Squier....fortunately, it was a used Classic Vibe Duosonic that was light, well-built, and played like a dream. I'd never, ever buy another Squier built in Indonesia. As far as I'm concerned, they're the Esdels of the Squier line.

preactor likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.