Worst Squier Ever Built?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by preactor, Sep 21, 2021.

1. preactor

preactor Tele-Afflicted

What are the "Worst" Squiers ever built? I have a 2000 Indonesian Hardtail Squier Strat. Plywood Body. Factory swimming pool route under the pickguard looks like it was carved with a chain saw and painted over. Plastic Tuners that look like model car parts. Pickups look like they were actually made into the covers and poured full of wax with a detachable metal plate on all of them. A thin, thin thin body that is too thin for an import strat switch. Mini pots that are almost useless. A jack that is about 1/16" larger than standard guitar cords. Boring Black paint before I repainted. Decent neck. BTW, I think I'll keep her. Anyone found one any worse? Squier Strat.jpg

2. Fretting out

Fretting out Poster Extraordinaire

I have nothing against Import guitars but...I’ve never played an Indonesian guitar I was impressed with

Kind of sours me from trying any made there

preactor likes this.
  3. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Tele-Afflicted

I have a Squier Bullet Strat HH with the thinner than "regular" body that is more resonant than any guitar I have. I love it

davidchagrin likes this.
  4. naveed211

naveed211 Friend of Leo's

I gotta say, I don't think I've been impressed with any Squier Bullet I've played.

And it's not a price thing, I've owned a $99 Affinity Strat from the 90's that was a very good guitar, not just for the price. And the only bass I own is a black Affinity. It's been a workhorse.

Fretting out likes this.
  5. Willie Johnson

Willie Johnson Tele-Afflicted

I've had great experiences with the MII Squiers, but those are of more recent vintage.

6. misterdontmove

misterdontmove Tele-Meister

My Jaguar is a Squier. Made in Indonesia. It came with an aftermarket Mustang bridge and SD Jag pickups and it plays and sounds tremendous! I expect they're hit and miss but I must have gotten lucky.

7. Harbinger77

Harbinger77 Tele-Meister

Purely anecdotal but in the mid 90s when I was getting started, every dude I knew who began and soon thereafter quit playing guitar had a Squier collecting dust in the closet. They were like the kiss of death.

Of course these days I think Squier is making some of the best all around values, period.

8. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Poster Extraordinaire

The worst I've run across were Affinity and Bullet series in the late 90's. I'm not sure if the country of origin was China or Indonesia. This was the same time roughly as the excellent Korean and Japanese made ProTone and Vista series so it was kind of disappointing to find the lower end so poorly represented.

preactor likes this.
  9. Blackmore Fan

Blackmore Fan Tele-Afflicted

I had a similar experience with a black Affinity Strat. It sounded good as it was, and sounded even better with Tonerider pickups and American pots and caps. I should have kept it but sold it for some reason I don't even remember.

mexicanyella and naveed211 like this.
  10. naveed211

I sold a $1500 guitar when I bought that $99 Affinity, and made it my main guitar for about a year. It was a good one.

Of course, I bought more expensive gear after that because GAS, but did I NEED to? No.

Gimble, jays0n, preactor and 3 others like this.
  11. Sax-son

Sax-son Tele-Afflicted

I've played a few that were decent, but I have this thing about buying a $99.00 to $150.00 and then sinking and $150.00 or more in hardware upgrades. That was part of the reason I started to build my own. It's still a $99.00 guitar no matter how much money you sink into it.

Fretting out, preactor and Skyhook like this.
  12. mexicanyella

mexicanyella Friend of Leo's

Here are my faves: 2005ish Squier Bullet Special, with a thin plywood body (only routed for the single HB, which surprised me) and, as @2HBStrat said, it’s very resonant and lively. It has a pretty flexy neck, but it stays in tune until you flex the neck, then comes back into tune when you release it, so I’ve gotten used to that and look at it as a way to put a little extra sauce on notes and chords.

Also a 1999ish Squier Affinity P-bass, which is not flexy at all and has just been a comfy, solid workhorse.

680F58EE-369B-4B0B-8E68-EF6B3050E9D7.jpeg

13. Skyhook

Skyhook Tele-Holic

That paint job... that's the flag of Yugoslavia right there if you play it right handed. :)

preactor likes this.
  14. runstendt

runstendt Tele-Meister

I’ve played some great Squiers, and some not-so-great Squiers. The fretboard on early to mid 2000’s Bullet Strats always felt squishy to me, so I never was a fan. To be fair, I had the same issue with entry level Ibanez products. Anyway, at the same time I had an Affinity Tele that always played and sounded better than the price would have indicated, as well as various guitars by Stagg and Washburn, so it’s not snobbery, I just suspected that Squier made the Bullet as cheap as possible to get the bottom end of the market. I almost bought a Squier Standard Strat that felt as good as any Fender I’ve ever played.

Blackmore Fan likes this.
  15. naveed211

My Affinity P Bass is a 99 also (in black) and I believe the Strat I had was a 99 (in white, it’s like we’re flip flopped!).

Maybe there just happened to be a good batch of 1999 Affinities for a while.

preactor and mexicanyella like this.
  16. mexicanyella

mexicanyella Friend of Leo's

So, your Affinity Bass is black...I think I have figured out who you are...

2E31C6A7-99F5-4E7D-BCAB-6E475C1467AE.jpeg

Jazzerstang, Gimble, jays0n and 2 others like this.
  17. naveed211

Who dat? He looks too cool to be me.

Blackmore Fan and mexicanyella like this.
  18. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's Ad Free Member

The OP's Strat is a 21 year old guitar. 2000 is about the tipping point between mediocre and really good. MII Squiers have been fine after 2000, equipped differently than the OPs, and the quality has been good. I had a 2017 Bullet Strat and still have another 2017 in sparkle red. I'd hate to be without it.

BTW: Indonesia has a long history of instrument-making.

19. preactor

preactor Tele-Afflicted

I bought this old boy for $60. I'm addicted to super cheap guitars because I keep hearing a voice from the old Six Million Dollar Man TV show saying...."We can rebuild him. We have the technology. We can make him better than he was. Better, stronger, faster"....We can rebuild him....We can rebuild him....

20. Skyhook

Skyhook Tele-Holic

That looks Punk as hell! I can both hear and smell that picture! :)

EDIT: Is that just a trick of the light or are those strings as rusty as the pole pieces? o_O

preactor likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.