1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Worst piece of gear you ever owned?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by WetBandit, Mar 30, 2018.

1. Crashbelt

Crashbelt Tele-Holic

Jedson Tele copy bought from a junk shop in Portsmouth in the mid 70s for £10. Unplayable and sounded appalling:confused:.

So after a few beers me and student housemates decided to Jimi it - doused in petrol set alight and smashed it to bits. Very satisfying:lol::lol:.

Wildcard_35 likes this.
  2. AlbertaGriff

AlbertaGriff Tele-Afflicted

I'm trying to forget that time in my life.

3. CK Dexter Haven

CK Dexter Haven Friend of Leo's

I am usually pretty realistic about gear having had some things in my youth that I though of as poor, but now I realize that I was probably guilty of "operator error" and asking it to do more than it was designed for, comparing it to high end stuff, or it was simply in need of adjustment/service. This info was not common knowledge at the time so we struggled against the current perhaps more than we needed to.

I have had very few modern thing that were truly bad, in need of adjustment maybe, but even low cost things from name makers usually set up w/ little problem, and produce a usable sound.

4. mad dog

mad dog Friend of Leo's

Fender super 60 amp, red knob.

Tony474 likes this.
  5. kafka

kafka Tele-Afflicted

My first guitar, a 50s Kay archtop. Hideous in every respect. Just nothing redeemable about it. If you name a problem that a guitar can have, it had it.

6. Thin69

Thin69 Friend of Leo's

The original Danelectro Fab Tones in the large aluminum body. Never could get a sound out of it that didn't drive me crazy.

7. bftfender

bftfender Poster Extraordinaire

Fender M80 head and 4x12 cab...in gray fuzz covering...no useful tone to me could i coax out if it...never played a solid state ever again..so i thank it for leading me to tubes for life..

8. Thin69

Thin69 Friend of Leo's

#2 worst piece of gear was a 90's Korean Squier Strat with a plywood body and the worst hardware of any guitar I have owned since the 60's. Put good pick ups on it so it sounded good but the rest of the hardware including the body were all unforgivable.

9. Blue

Blue Tele-Afflicted

Owned 3 Strats, two were Fender, big piles of dung. I love Teles but would never touch another Strat.

btheblue likes this.
  10. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

A Gibson Medalist Guitar tube amp. It used some oddball tubes. The thing sounded like a sterile SS amp of the worst variety! I bought it off Craigs list cheap. It happened to have two original Jensen C12N's in it! I scrapped the amp out selling the perfect condition Jensens, then some guy wanted to buy it so I sold it in pieces for what I paid.

11. WetBandit

WetBandit Friend of Leo's

I had one those amps but it was a combo, that I found in an abandoned house along with a Squier Strat... I still have the Strat as it was great after a little setup and some mods...
    20180319_000222.jpg

Unfortunately the M80 caught a touch of fire...:oops:

Squittolo and bftfender like this.
  12. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

Oh, it was the real deal. In that period, CBS treated guitars like manufactured widgets and tried to take as much process and cost out of the widget as they could. Some good guitars happened, almost by mistake, but lots of Fenders from the era are heavy, badly-made, bad-sounding, plastic-looking junk. Telecasters fared better, as they went through fewer design changes than the Strats. The basic Telecaster stayed with the 4-screw neck, for example.

13. JustABluesGuy

JustABluesGuy Friend of Leo's

The worst piece of gear I have ever owned is a Marshall MG250DFX that I foolishly traded a decent VS100 head and 4x12 cab for!

14. Robert H.

Robert H. Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

A Blues Junior amp (Sorry lovers). Thinnest, junky sounding amp to me.

15. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

The "worst amp" thread is up to 363 replies. Feel free to contribute.

http://www.tdpri.com/threads/worst-amp-ever-owned.614675/

16. Guitaryellow

Guitaryellow Tele-Meister

EHX nano muff, awful, however I have and do buy other EHX pedals although I just got a Silencer that I'm not overly impressed with.

17. MrGibbly

MrGibbly Tele-Afflicted

The 10 watt solid state Fender practice amp that I got with my first guitar. Couldn't get rid of that thing fast enough! Replaced with a Peavey Bravo that is still rocking ~25 years later. I do miss that first guitar...but, that was a different thread.

18. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

[​IMG]

1979.....the Rickenbacker TR100 solid state guitar head.

I bought one used in 1981 soI could be a big fella with a half stack in a high school cover band. The three other band members were friends of mine and they sat me down and asked me to take it back to the store where I paid $100 off of a used pile. That's when I bought Music Man RD50 head.

I was so proud when I showed up with the Ric head and I went home all ashamed. It sounded like 100 watts of Gorilla Banana.

19. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

Mine was a POS and so was my best friend's. Those are the only two that I ever played and they both sucked. That's my story, you are welcome to like them if you want to.

20. HotRodSteve

HotRodSteve Poster Extraordinaire

I had a $10 ukulele that was untuneable and unplayable. It went into the fireplace.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.