1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Worst piece of gear you ever owned?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by WetBandit, Mar 30, 2018.

1. 3fngrs

3fngrs Friend of Leo's

Peavey Audition 20

First amp. Used it for quite awhile. Didn't have a good sound in it. It sounded very dry and artificial. I always described it as "cardboard".

2. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

Every cheap solid state amp from the 70s and 80s. How things have changed.

And a 90s Squier tele someone gave me, with frets so bad they didn't deserved to be levelled. It went in the bin.

3. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

'Manhattan' brand guitar. I didn't have it long before taking it back to get my money back. It looked nice, the body finish was good. That's where the good stuff ended. It would not intonate. Get the open string in tune, get it in tune at the twelfth, and the rest of the neck was off enough to sound it. Every chord had a glaring bum note it. Yukkums!. As a first guitar, it sucked taco-choads. I got my money back and bought a Danelectro instead. Much better.
    Squier SP10. In some ways, I wish I'd kept it. Turns out they are quite good through an external cabinet, for certain things anyway. As it was, it was vile sounding at any volume loud enough to cover the acoustic clack when playing. The 'gain' button was hilarious. Nasty, nasal, boxy, harsh.
    SubZero Tube H5. It has valves!. It's an abomination!. It has op-amp shenanigans!. It has recycled components!. It has the redeeming features of a sturdy chassis and reasonably attractive headshell to mount a home-brew in eventually. One to avoid unless those features appeal. Electrically dubious, sonically excretive and I suspect not entirely safe.

Wildcard_35 likes this.
  4. Theslack5

Theslack5 Tele-Meister

I have owned some truly awful guitars and amps in my time, really cheap horrible rubbish. However for sheer disappointment value I had an early 90s Strat plus that I could not get a good sound out of ( I was playing through a 71 twin reverb at the time too). I really persisted with that guitar until the other members of my band literally banned me from using it. Occasionally I see someone playing one and getting great sounds from it, Bob Mould springs to mind his one sounds fantastic.

5. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

It would be a tie between a Mesa DC5 amp and an MIJ Stratocaster.
    The DC5 was the worst amp I've ever owned (although the Vox AC4 was a close second) and the MIJ Strat was cheap and harkened back to the days when Made in Japan meant it was an inferior product, which this was.

6. Lonn

Lonn Friend of Leo's

Easy. Early on in my guitar life I bought a Memphis bolt on Les Paul copy. Wasn't even good enough to throw in the fireplace. Second place goes to a Crate G40C XL amp. Sounded alright in the shop when I tested it but at home it was rough and harsh.

7. Sparky2

Sparky2 Friend of Leo's

My 1976 Epiphone FT-120 acoustic.

The first guitar I bought brand new with my own money, as a teenager.

A campfire singalong guitar only. NOT stage-worthy.
    The neck is jacked somehow from years of being lugged around the world for decades.

She's hosed-up, and will only play halfway-right with nylon strings mounted, and then only in the cowboy chords range. Any further up the neck than the 8th fret, the intonation goes all goofy.

I keep her for the sentimental value, I guess.
    I haven't picked her up and tuned her in over a year.
    :(

8. AAT65

AAT65 Friend of Leo's

Epiphone Les Paul 100 which I had for about a year. (I always described it to people as ‘the second-cheapest Les Paul you could buy’: it’s distinction from the very cheapest was its [not it’s!] 4-control setup).
    I guess it wasn’t bad value for money, because it was very cheap, but it felt cheap from top to bottom. Nasty garish red sunburst, very thin body (top slightly carved), rough frets, very fragile finish (it acquired an amazing number of chips round the edge without ever being taken gigging), unremarkable pickups etc.
    However I guess it did it’s job - it let me experiment with Gibson scale length and double humbucker / 4-control setup, which led to me buying a PRS SE245 the year after: and helped persuade me that spending so little money on a guitar is a false economy.
    I sold it.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2018
  9. since71

since71 Tele-Meister

I bought an 80's one of those for £15, it had nice metal corners and roughly the same size as tweed champ so I threw the guts away together with those horrible aluminium strips and built a 5w amp into it. That improved it.

10. since71

since71 Tele-Meister

I had a student who had one. I tried to fix a loose strap button for her (on the guitar, now calm down) and was a little surprised by a quantity of MDF dust emerging from the screw hole. Body made of MDF?

AAT65 likes this.
  11. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

Late 80s MIJ Squier strat that nowadays people are calling "vintage" and praising to the heavens. Weak and thin pickups, cheap overall, terrible neck. It was at least better than my friend's Squier P bass which buzzed all up and down the neck, everywhere. Neither of us knew much about setup but still. I ended up putting a Black Beauty on layaway at Haight Ashbury music and he ended up with a Washburn bass from a pawn shop that was actually really nice to play.
    To this day I have owned dozens of guitars but only one other Squier, and that was a J bass (and it was nothing special). I know they make nice instruments now but so do a bunch of other companies.

12. AlbertaGriff

AlbertaGriff Tele-Afflicted

I feel shame.

13. bottlenecker

bottlenecker Friend of Leo's

People that could see past the brand name praised them back then, too. They were well made. They were made a lot better than fender intended. That doesn't mean you have to like them. Not everyone likes everything.

14. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

I had an FT Epiphone back then that I sold many years ago. I recently bought a FT-130 at a thrift store. Look familiar?

[​IMG]

It has a collapsed neck, a common failing on these guitars. I'm trying to figure out how to get it back into playable condition. My first attempt at fixing up the bracing didn't work out so I'm going to try something else when I get the time.

15. WetBandit

WetBandit Friend of Leo's

You must have got a dud... mine is awesome.

16. WetBandit

WetBandit Friend of Leo's

Yea, that's abuse... what exactly were you thinking? :confused::lol:

17. esseff

esseff Tele-Afflicted

I feel your pain... I bought an electronic mod kit for mine that was supposed to improve its deficits. When I soldered it all in, there was no sound at all. Well, I considered even that a vast improvement so it's now sitting on a shelf waiting to be cannibalised for something else.
    Probably the worst bit of kit was my first amp in 1977. A six channel sonic disaster called an Audition that clipped if you just looked at it. Complemented my Teisco four-pickup perfectly.

18. bottlenecker

bottlenecker Friend of Leo's

Worst gear I've ever owned is a LockOn brand tuner, made in gainesville, forida. It was shaped kind of like those sabine tuners from the 80s, except much smaller.
    The case was made of hardwood. I don't know why.
    It had a built in mic, but it would be confused by any noise at all, so it was useless anywhere but a silent room.
    Because it was tiny, there was no room for a 1/4" jack. For some reason, the only input was some odd size jack a little smaller than the common 1/8" (3.5mm) headphone size, so forget about using that radio shack headphone adapter. It came with a Y cable that had a female 1/4 to plug your guitar cable into, then a male 1/4" to plug into the amp, and then whatever that weird tiny plug was to connect to the tuner.
    It was $90 in 1996. I bought it on the recommendation of a band mate, and the owner of the small shop he bought it at that sold a lot of higher end and pro gear.
    The Y cable shorted out at the third gig I used it at. Not to mention what it did to signal strength when it was working. And it didn't even mute. I had to go turn the amp down.

It led me to start using an A/B pedal to choose tuner or amp, which I still prefer to most tuner pedals.

19. rocking rooster

rocking rooster Tele-Holic

I've had a few cheap and nasty guitars along the way,but when you consider what I paid for them maybe they weren't too bad if using value for money as your criterion.
    I posted the following some years ago (and still feel the same).
    The worst guitar (v.f.m.) I ever bought (and still own) is a PRS EG4. The action is superb, everything else is just dire! When you pick it up there’s a loud creaking noise as the bolt-on neck moves about in it’s pocket.(they all do that sir!) You can see the lines where the body sections are joined together even through the solid black paint.
    The electrics are complete **** with both tone controls effecting all 5 pick up selections. You can be on the bridge pup (which is supposed to have no tone control just like a Strat) and roll off all the treble using the neck tone control, and then roll off some more using the middle tone control. Sometimes the guitar would die completely mid song, rectified by wacking the scratch plate with my fist.
    The volume pot has always had a mind of it’s own, sometimes going back to full volume when wound all the way back to zero, and sometimes not changing the volume at all.
    When I took it apart to try and rectify the bad electrics I found soldering that was obviously done by a drunken welder at 5 minutes to 5 o'clock on a Friday evening.
    This p.o.s. cost me £700 back in 1992, for that money I could and should have got a Telecaster. Lesson learned!

20. pondcaster

pondcaster Poster Extraordinaire

Another vote for Teisco Tulip i got at thrift store.

Crap.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.