1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Worst piece of gear you ever owned?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by WetBandit, Mar 30, 2018.

1. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

A Line 6 HD-500 board.

I was a hard core Line 6 guy - prior to the HD-500, I bought the first Flextone XL combo (still have it), the v1 kidney bean Pod (still have it), an XT Live board (still have it) and a Variax 300 (sold it a while ago). I liked all of this gear and I figured that as good as the stuff I had was, the HD-500 could only be better. Man, was I wrong on that one.

I really looked forward to getting the HD-500, but shortly after buying it I grew to hate it. The amp modeling was so-so (getting a good tone out of it took hours of tweaking, and I wasn't into it), all the slams against Line 6 models being 'fizzy' were brought horribly to life with this thing.

My first clue that they engineered themselves out of the game should have been obvious when I looked and noticed that they crammed so many ins and outs on the back panel that they didn't leave room for an on-off switch.

Line 6 seems to have redeemed themselves with the Helix, but that HD-500 was a hot mess.

- D

2. guitartwonk

guitartwonk Tele-Holic

Yup, even though I'm more a strat guy now, I will never sell my teles. They have a way of getting into your soul.

3. cyclopean

cyclopean Poster Extraordinaire

a grenade pin?

4. dogmeat

dogmeat Friend of Leo's

I sold my old Peavy tube amp (mistake) and bought a new Marshall solid state amp in about 2004 because I wanted a lighter rig. don't remember which one but it was about 40 watts, single 12. it had a pretty crappy sound.... it was "all most" good enough, but not. also, the jack broke the PC board the first hit it took and required splicing in wires & epoxy. I fiddled with it year & it never got better. in attempt to get a livable sound with it I bought one of those "Pod" things that simulates ever amp and effect ever made.... and thats the second large bit 'o crap. I've had other stuff I didn't bond with but those were two total losers. I wised up and went back to old school stuff that just works

5. cyclopean

i've heard those sound outstanding in punk bands.

6. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

It'd have been fine if all I wanted was crappy solid state dirt. In the right punk band...sure. But it was a terrible general purpose amp, and it didn't have a lot of "balls." I bought it just to get the Ampeg B-25B cab that it was packaged with.

7. cyclopean

i've heard some great solid state dirt out of that. but, y'know, right tool for the right job.

8. WetBandit

WetBandit Friend of Leo's

My first amp was a gorilla gg-10

It had 4 controls volume, treble, bass and a power switch...

What is this "tube stack" wizardry?

And chorus? Mine would kinda make a warbly sound after I ran it through a 100' extension cord so I could play in the backyard... but that's as close as it ever came to having chorus lol...

Man you guys got the good ones I guess?

radiocaster likes this.
  9. WetBandit

WetBandit Friend of Leo's

My boss just bought that, and the digitech version... because he thinks he can sound like Cobain....:lol:

Fendereedo likes this.
  10. idjster

idjster VERY grateful member Silver Supporter

I had a Behringer wah pedal that was an absolute tone suck. Hated it. It didn’t last too long. Otherwise I’ve been blessed with good gear for years!

11. cyclopean

i saw a band use that going into a 4x12 saturday and it sounded great. no pedals, great growl, excellent clarity.

12. esseff

esseff Tele-Afflicted

I wouldn't say it was the worst but my Line 6 Spider Jam was a non-intuitive PITA to tweak compared to the Fender G-DEC. Twice as heavy too. Gotta admit that their backing tracks were much better than Fenders' though.
    I had a MetalZone pedal that left a lot to be desired. The mod kit I bought for it didn't work either so now it's an empty case waiting for a decent filling.

13. Shuster

Shuster Poster Extraordinaire

thA8TV74GM.jpg

14. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

My first guitar was a Japaneese LP Copy.
    It was flat out terrible.
    Bolt on neck, plywood body.
    The biggest effort the Manufacturer made was fo build it as Cheap as possible.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.