Worst demo ever!

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Fendereedo, Aug 22, 2019.

1. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Friend of Leo's

Sorry, but I don't normally moan about other people's playing, but I couldn't let this go. This has to be the most uninspiring demo I have ever witnessed. The guy has all of the equipment, but none of the charisma. I'll duck for cover if he is a member here lol!

Bassman8, TeleFunk Man and beagle like this.
  2. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

I loved the end of it. No, I mean the very end. Yeah... the part where he completely stopped playing and the video was over... that was my favorite part.

Deeve, Bassman8, logans_tele and 2 others like this.
  3. maxvintage

maxvintage Friend of Leo's

That was a bad demo video because he never took the time to show the range of controls. But "charisma" is the last thing I want in a pedal demo. I'm buying a pedal, not a person.

it's a cliche but it's true: a good player can make any gear sound good. The many slickly produced pedal demos prove that every day. Wow, what a surprise! I learn more from watching an ordinary player faf around with a pedal in his basement than I do from pete thorn, a great player being professionally recorded and produced in order to sell pedals.

I miss the days when amateurism ruled Youtube. it was much more useful and interesting then.

4. Fendereedo

That was the golden moment for me too! ;)

beagle likes this.
  5. Fendereedo

Maybe charisma was too strong a word. Lingo, would probably be a better description.

6. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

That took me back to 1982, when a friend introduced me to "this is Chris, he can play a bit". At least this time I could switch it off...

Fendereedo likes this.
  7. zeedoctour

zeedoctour Tele-Meister

Which by my reckoning, is where charisma actually made it worth watching. Not what they think is charisma nowadays, that's just ego and unself-aware over confidence it seems. I'm talking real personality. Where the presenter doesn't think they're special just because they are a YouTube star. Some ability doesn't hurt either. I mean creative ability, not just shreddy shreddy look at me.

8. Mid Life Crisis

Mid Life Crisis Friend of Leo's

Must admit he's not really selling it to me.

9. Verne Bunsen

Verne Bunsen Tele-Holic

What happened to “If you don’t have anything nice to say, don’t say anything at all”? What do you gain by posting his video here just to make fun of him? This feels pretty mean spirited to me.

maxvintage, fidopunk and stevemc like this.
  10. tery

tery Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

That's ME
    (just kidding)

beagle likes this.
  11. Durtdog

Durtdog Poster Extraordinaire

When you post something for the public to view, it's fair game for criticism.

No one went into his home and made fun of his private practice session.

12. Verne Bunsen

Verne Bunsen Tele-Holic

Without a doubt. Same with public performance. If you saw this guy at an open mic you could walk right up to him and tell him that he was uninspiring and lacked charisma and that your favorite part of his performance was when he stopped playing. And you could gather all your friends up to make fun of him with you. You’d be within your rights, and you’d be acting like a jerk. Hypothetically.

If the guy in the video posted it himself here in the pedal sub-forum, would we see these same comments? And would we defend them?

Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
  13. Knowcaster

Knowcaster Tele-Holic

Well, clearly that bit of advice is being followed over on YouTube, where there are exactly 0 comments on the video, which was posted over a year ago.

14. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

A lovely toon but....... you cant dance to it :D

Fendereedo likes this.
  15. 8barlouie

8barlouie Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

There used to be a lot more videos like this on YouTube where the player was just a regular person. What I sometimes find queer was how some of them never utter a word- even to the extent of merely pointing to the pickups before they play them. Maybe they’re just shy?

16. Seasicksailor

Seasicksailor Friend of Leo's

I'll bet he was surprised by the view boost! Silver lining! ;-)

Fendereedo and stratofortress like this.
  17. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

I read everyone's comments before watching the video. This WAS a joke, right? The guy lost a bet with his friends, and HAD to do this? Four precious minutes of my life gone, never to be regained......

Fendereedo likes this.
  18. brokenbones

brokenbones Tele-Meister

With all due respect the video title says "jamming" and nothing about a demo.

JuneauMike and Fendereedo like this.
  19. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Not everyone is comfy talking on camera? I get that. Maxvintage has a great point that this kind of video is really useful though.

Brian Wampler just put up a video yesterday about how the slickly produced demos are near useless for evaluating what a pedal is going to sound like.

This guy is just using a room mic/camera mic and that gives a better idea of what it's going to sound like if you buy that pedal. The slickly produced demo where they've set a microphone up on a cab in the other room and run it through a DAW are not necessarily realistic.'

Brian's point was people expect to buy a pedal after watching Andy Martin or Pete Thorn and just plug it in at home and immediately have that sound. It doesn't sound like that cause they don't have a gazillion dollar home studio and don't have it all mic'ed up and running through a DAW and all that. Then they get disappointed and sell the new pedal and go back to Youtube and watch some more slickly produced demos and buy something else. And repeat...

The one that always blows me away is these slickly produced guys will demo something like a high gain amp or a Big Muff or something and give you the idea these setups are quiet as a church mouse.

Henning Pauly has a derisive demo of the Op Amp Big Muff Pi.. he makes a point of "you turn it on and it does this" and he turns it on and it hums and hisses like crazy. None of the other demos show that generally. That was on my mind cause I have one of those and it is a REALLY noisy beast, and I have a line conditioner and hum debugger & isolated power supply and all that.

The Keeley Compressor Plus I bought a month ago.. that thing can be really noisy into a dirty amp too. 99% of the demos you will never hear any noise.

Another thing I think slickly produced demos hide is differences in how stuff responds at stage vs home volume levels. The same big muff I have.. if I try and play it at a sane volume level it has 0 ability to be used with the volume on the guitar rolled down. It sucks. As soon as it starts getting into unreasonable home volume levels (90dB?) it starts working totally differently. The youtube guys are always playing it really loud AFAICT.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
    Lawdawg and 8barlouie like this.
  20. cyclopean

cyclopean Friend of Leo's

[​IMG]

speedingjet likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.