Worst Christmas Songs!

billy logan

Tele-Holic
Hey! You wuz asking for "the worst" - oppositional me offers for your consideration 2 minutes and 1 second of "the best"
with a POPPIN' ROCKIN' WHACKIN' and THWACKIN' old-school N'Awlins street beat !!!

[edit] You wanna bet against that's a real piano on the track? or bet that your KorgCasioNord would've sounded better???????????????????[coz I like a real piano]

and btw - at 1:00 into "Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree" the sax throws in some nice accents and spacing! Limited palette to work with, but that is ime some uncanny phrasing (at the beginning of the sax's second verse)

and and btw that Frank Sinatra "What's New?" ... I have to disagree with you , twobear, hella film noir depresso feel - somber trombone etc.

Last edited:

MarkieMark

Friend of Leo's
Simply having a wonderful Christmas time.

There. Now it's stuck in your head, too.

How could this come from the same guy that gave the world "Yesterday ", "Hey Jude" and "Let It Be"?

Well, apparently there was a time when "Macca" and all his immediatly surrounding fan-club thought he could "simply fart and it would be a masterpiece." (IMO @blowtorch hasnt always been right, but was correct about this BTW)

But no one has mentioned the #2 disaster in the genre...

Lets imagine an orchestra, but add a shredding lead guitar, shall we???

Ahggg!

Betting some here like this.
Too bad. I disagree. Pretensious. Contrived. Horrible.

Flame away. Just an opinion.

Last edited:

trapdoor2

Friend of Leo's

Patsy lived in Huntsville, AL for years (I don't know...maybe she still does?). When I was teaching banjo at a local coffeehouse, she ran the Wednesday night song-writing session. Very nice lady with deep connections to Sony and the music business. She was a good friend of my mother-in-law. Fascinating stories too.

I refuse to let Xmas music in the house until Xmas day. Exceptions abound, Miz Diane likes many Xmas movies, for instance, and I'll watch with her if she wants me to. Also, if I have to play the banjo for an Xmas program, I obviously have to practice.

It is difficult for me as I am susceptible to earworms. Xmas tunes are some of the worst.

My punishment in this life is that Miz Diane loves "I want a Hippopotamus for Christmas" and I don't. She has a battery hippo that plays it and she'll sing it (without remembering all the words) at the drop of a hippo-turd...or a hat.

Last edited:

Dan German

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
My loving wife has a distressing addiction to the cheesy Christmas movies shown on various cable or satellite channels, with the Hallmark channel being among the most egregious of them. With exceedingly rare exception, the songs and music featured in these pieces of cinematic *&%&&^% are far and well beyond terrible. Rant over- I'm going upstairs to watch some football!:mad::cool::cool:
Those movies provide a steady source of work and revenue for an actor friend of mine, but yeah, they’re crap, so I can only imagine how bad the music is.

Milspec

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
I like Baby It’s Cold Outside but it isn’t a Christmas Song. It’s a song about a guy trying to get a girl to spend the night. Therefore, I dislike it as being presented as a Christmas Song.

"Baby it's cold outside" only gets air play during the Christmas season, gets played a lot, has been recorded by many artists over the years, and was written and initially performed by a husband and wife.

It has become a holiday staple and since the author wrote it to perform with his wife, I think we can skip the social judegement.

John Backlund

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
That list is way too long to ponder. In my view, there are only about 5 Christmas songs that I actually like and maybe another 4-5 that I can tolerate.

Fairytale in New York (The Pogues)
Father Christmas (The Kinks)
The Christmas Song (Nat King Cole)
White Christmas (Bing Crosby)
Baby It's Cold Outside (Dean Martin)

After that...I can do without any of them.

YES!
No #1... Fairytale Of New York.

My all-time favorite.

Recce

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
"Baby it's cold outside" only gets air play during the Christmas season, gets played a lot, has been recorded by many artists over the years, and was written and initially performed by a husband and wife.

It has become a holiday staple and since the author wrote it to perform with his wife, I think we can skip the social judegement.
I didn’t know I was making a social judgement. I have never heard the song performed by a husband and wife. If it was then it doesn’t make sense because why is the wife wanting to leave to go home away from the husband’s house?
All I said is I don’t think it is a Christmas song.

Last edited:

Deeve

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
Some of the worst have been posted - I am all in on the Mariah Carey & Paul McCartney abominations.
While surfing, though, I found one I don't feel has been played to death, so I smiled & played this all the way through.