Worst automotive year ever - I agree.

imwjl

Doctor of Teleocity
Wow did I get some memories and smiles here. In 1980 I was a young manager in a place that served a GM plant and other auto industry suppliers. What I thought was a smart purchase was the worst car ever - Chevy Citation. Because of who we serviced there were new Fords too. I also got a new F250.

You're not supposed to wish bad on people but I often thought if hell is true, it was made for anyone who had anything to do with making and designing US vehicles around 1980.

https://arstechnica.com/cars/2021/11/was-1980-the-worst-automotive-year-ever/

When my POS Citation arrived it had someone's lunch bag wedged between the subframe and body. I remember tapping on the brakes in a downpour and the POS started spinning in circles. For a while honking the horn made the windshield wipers go. The F250 was such a POS they finally bent the frame so it would stop driving doglegged down the road. About the same time my brother got Plymouth Horizon.

The auto industry business people, engineers and labor at that time are probably the most miserable rotten and hell deserving people in modern industrial times.

By 1987 I worked for a firm that supplied US and Japanese automakers plus John Deere. It was no mystery to know what our future would be.

Telekarster

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
With very few exceptions, IMO the 80's sucked for US auto across the board. I had an 85 F150 that had the dreaded computer controlled carberator! Of course, it wasn't "dreaded" at first... ran like a top in fact! But.... yeah... it turned out to be a gas guzzlin', black smoke poorin', POS. I sold that blasted thing at a loss, and felt good about it LOL!!! :lol::lol::lol::lol: There is literally no car made in the 1980's that I can think of that I'd buy today. Not one.

EDIT: Oh yeah... and the dude I sold that truck to, first thing he did was pull the POS motor out of it and put in a 70's era, non-computer anything, 302 in it ;) Ran great after that change out :cool:

Last edited:

burtonfan

Tele-Afflicted
Although I agree with you in general, ironically I had a 1980 Chevy Citation. I LOVED that car! I drove it for 5 years. When I sold it, it had a few unique features: passenger side-only entry, smashed windshield, no muffler, and bald tires. Of course all of those features were of my own doing, but I still loved it!

David Barnett

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
My mom had a 1980 Citation with the 2.8 V6. She never had a lick of trouble out of it, but it was bland beyond belief. She traded it in on an '84 S-10 pickup with the same 2.8 V6, which both leaked and burned oil.

imwjl

Doctor of Teleocity
My mom had a 1980 Citation with the 2.8 V6. She never had a lick of trouble out of it, but it was bland beyond belief. She traded it in on an '84 S-10 pickup with the same 2.8 V6, which both leaked and burned oil.

I special ordered the sport suspension, V6 manual transmission version. The engine was reliable and smooth compared to the 4 bangers but the transaxle housing and outer part of the water pump cracked after driving over railroad tracks.

Now you made me remember the time I pulled on the parking brake release and the damned cable assembly pulled right out of the dashboard. By the time it was 3 years old a small rust hole partially hidden by windshield would let rain leak in.

Did it have some innovations? Yes. Could it be pleasant? Yes. Was it practical? Yes. Do large numbers of people who worked or work for GM, Ford and Chrysler deserve burning in hell for taking people's money and torturing them? Yes.

David Barnett

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
I special ordered the sport suspension, V6 manual transmission version. The engine was reliable and smooth compared to the 4 bangers but the transaxle housing and outer part of the water pump cracked after driving over railroad tracks.

Now you made me remember the time I pulled on the parking brake release and the damned cable assembly pulled right out of the dashboard. By the time it was 3 years old a small rust hole partially hidden by windshield would let rain leak in.

Did it have some innovations? Yes. Could it be pleasant? Yes. Was it practical? Yes. Do large numbers of people who worked or work for GM, Ford and Chrysler deserve burning in hell for taking people's money and torturing them? Yes.

I was driving a Fiat at the time, so I don't have a leg to stand on...

Muddyshoes

Tele-Holic
I refused to buy any American made auto in the 80s the worst vehicles going such POS. I bought Honda and Toyota and NEVER had a problem with any of them. I did buy a 1993 ford explorer and at 90,000 mile the car just fell apart, and this vehicle was in a garage every night and all the maintenance was performed on time.....Back to Japan. I did buy my 2005 Dodge Ram new and was very apprehensive but at the time my wife work for a company that had a deal with Daimler-Chrysler to receive Fleet prices...the savings where to good to pass on...It has been a great truck with no problems at all and my mustang I bought used and it has been a great car also.....But the 80s American made cars:mad:

imwjl

Doctor of Teleocity
Yeah, but most cars of that vintage had manual roll down windows that today's geezers absolutely adore.

Most geezers have memory issues, and my own cohort reminds how many peak pretty close to their high school graduation.

Last edited:

JL_LI

Poster Extraordinaire
2021 was a pretty good year. We got two new BMWs, a 330xi in March. How they keep getting better still amazes me but I’d never want my old 2018 back. Then in August, we got a 2022 Z4. That one’s perfect for my wife and me. Truth be told, that one may be in my name, but it’s hers. She saw all the new features in my car and fell out of love with her SLK faster than a divorcee who found her husband with a younger model. 1980? I had a Toyota Corolla wagon back then. It was every bit as much of a POS as a Citation. We’re real car snobs now. Both of us. I just don’t see a Japanese car in my driveway. A Chevy? YKM.

dkmw

Poster Extraordinaire
This thread made me think - is it a coincidence that I’ve never owned a car built between 1974 and 1988?

(There was a 1980 320i in my life, but it was my girlfriend’s. Great car, and she still has it)

arlum

Tele-Afflicted
Platinum Supporter
The worst car I ever purchased was a 1984 Plymouth Reliant. A stack of shipping boxes on wheels. American cars and the 1980s were like fire and water. Lots of leaks and, yes, my engine caught fire.

Happy Enchilada

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
Yeah, but most cars of that vintage had manual roll down windows that today's geezers absolutely adore.

This gave me an idea for a magazine - "Geezers Today." Lots of articles about where to get Senior Discounts on Earlybird Specials, how to keep kids off your lawn, how to program your VCR, and the latest trends in Cargo Shorts. Maybe a fashion section on Sporty Little Hats. And a pet section on Rat Dogs and costumes to dress them up in to ensure your place in hell. And of course, an advice column by TDPRI John. :D

Happy Enchilada

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
Absolute WORST car I ever owned was a '78 Cougar XR7. It was a big, lame tuna boat that wanted to be a luxury car when it grew up. WORTHLESS in snow (I lived in Montana at the time), guzzled gas (I was a destitute grad student), and had one of those puffy Landau tops that was cracking and splitting and looked like heck. Sold it to a guy who made two payments and then vanished. Was glad to be rid of it. Replaced it with a '66 Olds Starfire that I found in the Thrifty Nickel for $500 and wish I still had. <sigh>

El Serio

Tele-Meister
I was never too fond of my Grandma's 1980 Olds Omega. By the end it was a rusted out driving scrap heap with the headliner hanging down on your head. Grandpa's 1980 GMC 1 ton truck was actually ok, the 6.2 L diesel was gutless, but it ran well and got good mileage.

Overall it was a terrible time for vehicles in the US

JDB2

Tele-Holic
My parents bought a 1982 Citation, 4 cylinder. It essentially became my first car. It did OK. It endured a huge Sunday paper route delivery haul (constant starting and stopping) every week, summer heat and winter cold, for several years. It hauled band gear including amplifiers and PA speakers to many gigs. It took me and my friends all around the state of Ohio. At 40,000 miles the engine failed. Amazingly, in retrospect, for some reason, my parents replaced the engine! The car kept going. I moved to Phoenix in 1994 and had the car shipped out in 1996. It could NOT keep up with the high speed traffic here. Other drivers hated me. I traded it for $200 when I bought a Honda Accord in 1997. The Accord was amazing and I had it for over 200,000 miles.