1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Worst Amp Ever Owned

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by T-Bone, Feb 23, 2016.

1. slauson slim

slauson slim Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

A Peavey 100 watt twin classic kind of thing, or was it 50 watts, 2x12 with faux tweed covering. About 1974 or 75. Solid state front end, tube power. It never sounded good, fizzy pre-amp, not as powerful or sweet sounding as my SF Super. I tried gigging the Peavey, but no dice. It never worked in the Western Swing band I was in.

2. Mike_LA

Mike_LA Tele-Afflicted

Fender Blews Junior
    Boxy sound, anemic reverb
    Hands down worst amp I ever owned.
    Couldn't sell it fast enough

speedingjet likes this.
  3. CoolBlueGlow

CoolBlueGlow Tele-Afflicted

Gibson SG...no doubt. Traded a 65 black face Bassman for it. (Insert "face of shame" here)

What was I thinking. Worst good to bad trade EVER, for me.

But, hey it was 1975 and I just HAD to have that awesome built-in phase shifter!

That SG had about twenty knobs and switches scattered randomly all over the faceplate. About half of them worked, and none of them made any sense. Total piece of crap. Weighed a ton, zero tone, unreliable, impossibly bulky, and in spite of an impressively sturdy look that sucked me in, only about half the controls worked, and that was maybe half the time...

I used it for one month, dumped it and bought a 73 Marshall 50w bass/lead half stack that I still have.

4. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

One of those Bandits - red transtube I think. Yeah - def red transtube.

Or the Mustang II model. Like a toy w/ toy-ish sounds

5. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I don't tend to like Vintage 30s in open back combos/cabs. But I love them in sealed cabs.

6. Viejo

Viejo Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

An early 80's Marshall JCM 800 2X12 50 watt combo. It didn't sound bad when it worked but it had a parasitic oscillation no one could find.

7. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Hey - no need to tell me anything: we all hear things differently, and play differently, right? That's the beauty. No one's right; no one's wrong. Except all the love for Princeton Reverbs, that is. :twisted:

8. bakersfield2014

bakersfield2014 Tele-Meister

I bought one of the early 60 watt Fender Supersonics that had the combo Bassman/Vibrolux channel when I was 18. It sounded good in the store but I didn't get the floor model I was using. The one I got had horrible icepick highs that couldn't be tamed. It had a lot of issues as well. I had to have it serviced three times for various wiring issues. I sold it and bought a Peavey Delta Blues. I had that for four years and never had an issue.

9. tecelaster

tecelaster Tele-Meister

Maybe, but HH gear was really common over here in the late 70's and early 80's so I played through a lot of models at gigs and in rehearsal rooms and they all sounded pretty bad to me. For a lot of punk bands they were a badge of honour because they were so cheap. I suspect it's a nostalgia thing with anyone who rates them these days, but everyone's got different tastes, of course. There was a VS range that had an overdrive circuit which HH encased in resin to stop people copying it! It wasn't that good.

10. Mahalo

Mahalo Former Member

Fender Supertwin. 180 RMS watts, weighed about a trillion pounds. Had a parametric doohickey. Sounded like an angry wasp stuck in a bottle.

11. ricknbaker

ricknbaker Tele-Afflicted

Wilko Johnson used one of these in early Feelgood days.

12. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Silvertone from the 60s (solid state).

13. Despres

Despres Tele-Afflicted

I bought an Epiphone Valve Jr Hotrod (the one with reverb) head once. I don't think it lasted two hours before it was back in the box - muddy sound, dull OD and the reverb setting was unusable.

14. grolan1

grolan1 Friend of Leo's

Somewhere in the middle of the flippin country
    I thought I was the only one that felt this way.... good to know there are others as well.

15. grolan1

grolan1 Friend of Leo's

Somewhere in the middle of the flippin country
    I'll drink to that!

16. StoogeSurfer

StoogeSurfer Tele-Afflicted

Yes, second generation Blues Junior for me, unbearable before the BillM mods. Tolerable after modifications, but still not there. Cab is too small too.

17. mitchfinck

mitchfinck Tele-Holic

I wouldn't say I've ever owned a terrible amp.
    I've had two SS amps which I still have and use... while they get kind of harsh and awful at stage volumes, they're fantastic recording machines and great for around the house or when someone else's amp is in the shop.

18. El Chivo

El Chivo Tele-Meister

Carvin X100B. Astoundingly bad. Clean channel and reverb were as warm as the North Pole. The dirt channel... let's not talk about the dirt channel. Primarily used my Marshall 9001 pre-amp to negate most of the tonal influence this amp may have had on my sound. In response, it continually broke down. Had a buddy who worked at VHT before they left North Hollywood. He said it was the worst piece of crap he'd ever worked on.

19. Johnny Cache

Johnny Cache Former Member

I've owned over 40 amps in the last 50+ years, so I've had a few that would be so called "the worst". Thinking back I'd say it was a Kustom PA 6 channel head, Tuck-N-Roll, what a POS, the worst sounding PA ever and kept breaking down. Our Band bought as our first PA. It died in the middle of a gig and went to the Rock-N' Roll gravel pit for target practice.

20. schenkadere

schenkadere Friend of Leo's

Peavey Bravo was very disappointing...lifeless, zero character.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.