1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Worst amp ever ... (apologies if this thread already exists)

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Dirty Dave, Jan 12, 2021 at 10:56 AM.

1. Telecastoff1

Telecastoff1 Tele-Afflicted

In recent years, it would definitely have to be the Fender Vibrolux Reverb (1979-1980) that I thought I had to have, after listening to everyone's glowing love for those. It was the worst sounding, shrill, anemic piece of junk I had ever owned. I had bought a Peavey Classic 30 about the same time, and the Classic 30 played circles around the Vibrolux. That was an expensive lesson hard-earned. It's the only Fender amp I've ever owned that I didn't like and couldn't bond with, even after various tube and speaker changes to attempt to "fix" its sound.
    The first bad amp I ever owned was when I was 11 years old. A school mate had sold me a Military power amp that was sitting in an old large Magnavox phonograph. It was big, ugly and sounded terrible. I played thru it for almost a year before getting my first real amp.

Chicago Matt likes this.
  2. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

Admittedly, by the time that Seventh Son came out (early '88) I wasn't really listening to much stuff like that ('classic British metal', or whatever you want to call it). I actually went as far as Powerslave ('84), but was already losing attention with Live After Death ('85). So by the time that Somewhere In Time came out ('86), I had limited interest, and actually hearing it for the first time didn't help at all.

At first, I think it wasn't even immediately an issue of bad guitar tones on S.I.T., as it was the guitar synth stuff you mentioned. It was just bizarre to me, because the liner notes to Piece of Mind contained the following: "No synthesizers or ulterior motives". Anyway, I also recall that Judas Priest's Turbo was also released the same year, and also had synth stuff on it. They both just lost me, because those albums just sounded vastly different from what they'd done previously.

So it really was in retrospect, for the most part, that I discovered that those two specific I.M. albums used GK amps. I'd actually heard some of the songs off those albums, over and over again, years later, on subsequent live albums (e.g. some time after '00). So then when I went back and listened to all the studio stuff in its entirety, I realized just how bad the guitar tones were, and how different they were from everything that came before or after.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2021 at 3:07 PM
  3. Jimmy Dean

Jimmy Dean Friend of Leo's

Orange Micro Terror.

4. lowatter

lowatter Tele-Meister

Off subject...
    Y'ever fart and it smells just like roast beef and it makes you hungry? What's up with that? :confused:

5. Dirty Dave

Dirty Dave Tele-Meister

Never.
    I also never want to be anywhere near you when you do that ... just in case it works.

Chicago Matt and lowatter like this.
  6. lowatter

lowatter Tele-Meister

:lol:

C'mon...I can't be the only one!

Dirty Dave likes this.
  7. mad dog

mad dog Friend of Leo's

Back in the 90s, I stepped past a brand new '63 Vibroverb RI Fender on the showroom floor to get to the Fender Super 60, also brand new. Came home with the latter.

That was the single dumbest thing I've done musically, ever. The Super 60 was easily the worst amp I've ever owned. Tried hard to give it away and finally succeeded.

Dirty Dave likes this.
  8. bcorig

bcorig Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

You had me at “hummed loudly”. Similar to the Blues DeVille I traded in for the same reason.
    Thanks for responding.

Dirty Dave likes this.
  9. Dan German

Dan German Poster Extraordinaire

Depends how you define “worst.” Here are my candidates:

1) JC-120. I hated it, and it made my ears bleed. Obviously, a great amp for other people, and maybe I’d feel differently now, 40 years and much guitar later.

B) Vox DA-5. I thought it would be convenient for practice and portability. It was, but it was so poorly made, that it didn’t hold up to even my mild use.

III) Harmony H303C. 1965 radio circuit amp made of pressboard. It makes a noise. Sometimes, that’s the noise I need to make. But it looks cool. Yes, it’s terrible, but I’ll never part with it because I love how it looks. Now, with the speaker from the DA-5 in it, it’s the speaker cab for my...

...which does what I bought it for surprisingly well. One man’s veggie burger is another man’s poison. (If I want the Micro Terror to sound even better, I just plug it into a bigger better cabinet.)

Chicago Matt and Dirty Dave like this.
  10. telepicker52

telepicker52 Tele-Holic

Got my M-80 new in 1990 for $329 from our local music store. Used it for years but not much anymore. Always loved the clean channel, o.d. not so much.

Dirty Dave likes this.
  11. Leonardocoate

Leonardocoate Tele-Meister

Fender DSP 25......it was terrible....then I decided to put a 10" Ragin Cajin in it that I had laying around........wow!.....then my son took it to Georgia with him and won't give it back

Dirty Dave likes this.
  12. Cyberi4n

Cyberi4n Tele-Meister

Blackstar S1 50w head

without a doubt! Looked awesome. Just could not get the tone I wanted out of it. Then it started breaking down all the time.
    Utter rubbish.

ironically I sold it and with the money bought a Bugera 6162 head. Faultless, and the tone was so good, that for the money (£200) I bought another! Sold the Black£$hit3 for £420 so actually the bugeras were more than paid for at £200 each. In three years of hard gigging neither let me down

13. joebloggs13

joebloggs13 Tele-Afflicted

You spoke too soon...the post right after yours...:D

14. Hacksaw

Hacksaw TDPRI Member

In the 80's the band I was in had a Fender Twin Reverb as a backup amp. My Ampeg V-4 died at a gig and I had to use the Twin. I know it's close to blasphemy here but I hated that thing.

15. palethorn

palethorn TDPRI Member

Haven't played many amps but I tried Line 6 Spider IV once. That one definitely takes the cake for me.

16. SoK66

SoK66 Tele-Afflicted

Without a DOUBT, my absolute worst amp of all time was an Acoustic Control 150. Our manager got us a deal with Acoustic to be endorsers, but after a handful of gigs the thing was so bad I rebelled and went back to my Dual Showman.....which is why I have hearing aids.

17. Maps & Guitars

Maps & Guitars TDPRI Member

I feel compelled to say that there are some amazing sounds you can get out of those Silvertones! I have a 1474 that's still my main gigging amp. Admittedly:

a) it has to be the sound you want, because stock they will not really do anything else and
    b) mine is no longer approaching stock and
    c) the reverb is absolute butt. And not the good kind.

Chicago Matt likes this.
  18. Maps & Guitars

Maps & Guitars TDPRI Member

I think the practice amps I inherited from classmates in 1983 and 1984 don't count. A little solid state Global, and a Harmony bass amp with what, an 8"? Those don't count.

The worst *proper* amp? Gonna have to go with the 2006 reissue Ampeg Reverberocket 1x12 that I had briefly recently. Gain channel was five minutes of fun, then "heh now seriously no" and the clean channel had a sort of prickly quality that just drove me nuts... it seemed clear and cut through in a band mix but recorded it was, to my mind, an unusable tone. Shame because the reverb was delicious.

Now a modded silvertone 1474 and a 1979 Princeton Reverb are in a cage match for my heart. (I love both: horses for courses)

19. Stratman2252

Stratman2252 TDPRI Member

20. Stratman2252

Stratman2252 TDPRI Member

MY worst amp was an Acoustic 150 with 6 10” spkrs in a cabinet. Same Speaker Cabinet that Chicago’s Terry Kath used stacked on top of his amp. But the 150 was all solid state. NO tone and it was noisy. Intermittently. Years later a girlfreind that worked in an assembly factory resoldered the connections which were full of cold joints and it finally cleaned up. Even the reverb started to work. But the tone was always awful. But it was loud and in the 70’s loud was good. I had to use a 1960’s Sam Ash red Fuzz Boxx to get a good overdrive sound. After College I got a Fender tube amp, then Mesa Boogies and now playing reissue Ampeg Jet 12’s which are 22 watts like my Deluxe reverb but only 30Lbs. I now have 3 of them. Great tone and easy to dial in what you want. PLus they work great with pedals. Hermida ZenDrive is the **** through that amp. Same pedal Robben Ford uses with his Dumble.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.